Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 Locker. Front or Rear?

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Absolutely the rear!

Lots of good points! Let me give you mine:

Have you ever seen or driven a 4x4 with just front wheel drive--useless on and off road.
    But like that has been said, you can drive in 2wd, with a rear locker.

Front locker works better in longer wheelbase rigs because of the incline angle is less because the rear wheels are further away thus lessening the angle of approach.

Airing down will do more good because it lessens the height that you need to overcome that obstacle, while gaining traction!

Disconnecting the front sway bar allows the front tires to stay on the ground negating a front locker, more often then not, and they get traction because there are making contact while the weight transfer to the rear keeps the rear pushing.

-Shawn
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Will have to agree with Sean. It is a contact sport and you will be amazed as where you will go with wheels touching.

I am locked in the back and can go just about anywhere I want to go. The only time I could use a front locker is when I have a big rock face bigger than my front tires.
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7l, 242 swap, 33" km2's, 4.56 gears, Long arms, locked front and rear, skids, sliders, and bumper.

Is chromoly axles necessary to lock a 35?
    Redneck.. Blue Collar.

ExploringNH.com... N.H.'s #1 Forum For The Off Road Enthusiast.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

No, but highly recommended.

If your tire size is under 33" and you are easy on the throttle, they may live, but it is still a time bomb waiting to explode.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

So with axle upgrade plus a selectable locker whats an approximate cost? 6-800 bucks?
    Redneck.. Blue Collar.

Dont wast your time or cash on locking a D35 or putting moly shafts in. Save and put a 8.8 in there with a locker and call it good.

THere just time bombs. Some people get them to last but many others do not. I have seen them take 35s and blow up with 32's..
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Might be a dumb question but what is an 8.8? I also dont think Id want it locked full time for better road manners..
    Redneck.. Blue Collar.

A type of ford axle. 8.8" diameter.

do the rear... youll bust up that d30 if you lock it....
    Toyota: Eatin chevy's, and pooping ford's,

Quote Originally Posted by wheelaholic View Post
    yea some people get the jeep thing to but i think they make a pill for that
    Quote Originally Posted by owndog12 View Post
    They do it's called a toy pill ! Take two and trade your jeep for a yota in the morning !

I agree, rear first. Everyone I know who runs OX lockers all have converted them over to air though, apparently the mechanism works that much better.

Also, for the cost of one OX, you could put an Aussie in the front + rear, still have enough to get a set of chromo shafts for the rear, and beverages and pizza for the install day (No R+P install needed for Aussies either). Just something to think about.

I also know of a set of brand new Yukon D35 chromo shafts for sale cheap, if anyone is interested PM me, can I can put you in contact with the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Dave View Post
    .....might as well lock um both
    Someday maybe, but for now I have to pick just one.

skibum added 5 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

OK.......after reading all the posts, I'm pretty well convinced that the rear is the way to go. As it happens, OX is doing a promotion right now (just got off of their website) where they will essentially put your locker on layaway. You pick the amount you want to pay every month (no interest) and once you've got it paid for, they ship it. I guess I'm going to join the $150 a month club. Should have it paid for and installed before spring.
    Last edited by skibum; 07-23-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

if you had a pickup i would say the front sence pickups have little waight on the rear tires. but sence you got a jeep i would say def. get the rear first. turning your rig when you got your front locked sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    That is a true statement. The only house I would be even less inclined to steal a hose from would be mud_junkys...
    Quote Originally Posted by agent smith View Post
    If you really want to be All-American buy a Ford,at least they didn't take money from dot gov to keep afloat from their poor buisness decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by team420 View Post
    Either way... I DO think Ford makes the best vehicles on the market today,

sumpin wrong with popin it in 2wd to make the turn. works for me with a 125in WB

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Dave View Post
    sumpin wrong with popin it in 2wd to make the turn. works for me with a 125in WB
    I think he was talking about just unlocking the front, but keeping it in 4wd.

With both the front and rear locked, it can be hard to make a tight turn. The front wants to push out since both wheels are spinning the same speed. Trucks that have a larger turning radius in stock form will be less affected that those with a tighter turning radius, since the speed differential between the outside and inside tire will be greater on a tight radius turn. Unlock the front and the tires can resume normal operation.

i think the optimum setup would be a locker in the rear and posi in the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    That is a true statement. The only house I would be even less inclined to steal a hose from would be mud_junkys...
    Quote Originally Posted by agent smith View Post
    If you really want to be All-American buy a Ford,at least they didn't take money from dot gov to keep afloat from their poor buisness decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by team420 View Post
    Either way... I DO think Ford makes the best vehicles on the market today,