Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Wobble...It happened!

Default Death Wobble...It happened!

I have a 2" OME (heavy duty springs) lift. I have been having all kinds of problems with it. The first issue i noticed i thought was death wobble but i think was really just bump steer (hit a bump and your steering wheels shakes violently). I also have very flighty and floaty steering.

Well in addition to that....i had the DW tonight. I have heard people say "you will know when you have it..." well you do! the whole jeep shook and felt like every bolt was coming loose. I just thought this was a bad case of what i was having before so i kept driving (but slower...) it didn't go away until the jeep was pulled over on the side of the road! it took about five minutes or so for my arms to stop shaking! anyway really horrible! i just wanted to post up and say THAT SUCKED! rant over.:banghead
    Derek is "between jeeps" right now.....

because I don't know anything about jeeps I don't know what type of suspension you have. Whatever it is, check all the bolts/joints/bushings that attach the axle to the truck (shackle bolts, ubolts, link joints, etc). If any are loose or worn, it will give you death wobble. Next, check all of your steering components, if any of them are worn they can give death wobble.

This started immediatly after you lifted it? What kinda of draglink angle do you have? You wan't it to be as parallel to the axle as possible, if its really steep you can get bumpsteer which will then lead to death wobble if you have worn parts.

What type of tires you have?
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

that shaking you felt when you hit a bump was the begining of DW!!!!
    My jeep don't leak....It marks its territory!!!
    Good leaders lead from the front
    Sgt Crockett, PFC Rockhold, SFC Davis, CPL Gomez, CPL Daiz, SPC Wells, CPL Shanks
    7 Men that gave there all so we could live free!

Bring it to me
    BUY , SELL , TRADE
    WHAT YOU GOT , WHAT YOU NEED

Quote Originally Posted by redneckboarder12 View Post
    who cares...if i can touch them theyre real!

That sucks...
    Time for new tires

Steve
    Steve Robinson
    StevesJeepCountry.com
    "We make'm Tough"
    Route4Motors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    because I don't know anything about jeeps I don't know what type of suspension you have. Whatever it is, check all the bolts/joints/bushings that attach the axle to the truck (shackle bolts, ubolts, link joints, etc). If any are loose or worn, it will give you death wobble. Next, check all of your steering components, if any of them are worn they can give death wobble.

This started immediatly after you lifted it? What kinda of draglink angle do you have? You wan't it to be as parallel to the axle as possible, if its really steep you can get bumpsteer which will then lead to death wobble if you have worn parts.

nice! good suggestions. thanks. i have to get under there and tighten everything up i think. i have read that if your track bar isn't on there tight that this stuff can happen. as for things being worn, i sure hope not as it only has 17K miles on the odometer. the draglink is also a good suggestion. it is definitely not paralell to the axle, but i'm not sure it ever was? tires are stock goodyear wrangler SRA's with good tread and rotated and balanced every 5k miles. they need replacing, but for teh trails i think.

mailman1119 added 0 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Quote Originally Posted by soup31314 View Post
    that shaking you felt when you hit a bump was the begining of DW!!!!
    yup....i think you might be right. not quite a death wobble...more of a near death experience wobble?
    Last edited by mailman1119; 07-09-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post

Scerb is right on. There is no way with a 2" lift your steering angles are that far out of wack. So there much be something loss after the lift install. If it was an older rig i would think about warn parts but at only 17k thats nothing or miles. But none the less take a look at your steering setup. Have someone turn the wheel back to forth so you can see it all work.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Quote Originally Posted by mach2nh View Post
    Scerb is right on. There is no way with a 2" lift your steering angles are that far out of wack. So there much be something loss after the lift install. If it was an older rig i would think about warn parts but at only 17k thats nothing or miles. But none the less take a look at your steering setup. Have someone turn the wheel back to forth so you can see it all work.
    Thanks man. what should i be looking for as people turn the wheel back and forth?

I would say something must be loose... my 08 JK with a 3" lift with 25K miles never has seen that... I can't even think of how I would feel during that moment.

I wonder if its cause you have the lift with stock size tires. I don't know enough about it. But as stated above I would check out what they are telling you.

Good luck!!!!

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look for any components with play. If you see anything - tighten it if its loose.

Check your tire pressures

When you were wheeling last you may have also knocked off or shifted some of the balancing weights
    Scott Hatch
    NH STAC 4x4 rep
    shatch@nea4wd.org

Mailman,

I feel your pain. I've had DW on my Blazer before and it's terrifying.

I'm not sure of your setup, but mine was a 1-ton (Dana60) kingpin front axle on a set of soft leafsprings with no trackbar. The first time I got it was on the way back from the local driveline shop with a set of small "roller" tires on it. I've also had it with my typical 38" bias-ply Swampers.

On a kingpin axle, increasing the preload on the kingpin springs (with shims) is a common fix, as is the addition of a front steering damper. I'd say check for worn components too, except that my DW happened on a freshly rebuilt D60 so there was nothing that wasn't already new on there. I never really "fixed" mine, but I have masked it with the addition of hydro-assist steering (a fancy steering damper)

Personally, I feel that DW is a lateral oscillation of the front leafsprings caused by a suspension/wheel/tire harmonic vibration induced by a bump in the road, etc.

Good luck with it.

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
    Mailman,

I feel your pain. I've had DW on my Blazer before and it's terrifying.

I'm not sure of your setup, but mine was a 1-ton (Dana60) kingpin front axle on a set of soft leafsprings with no trackbar. The first time I got it was on the way back from the local driveline shop with a set of small "roller" tires on it. I've also had it with my typical 38" bias-ply Swampers.

On a kingpin axle, increasing the preload on the kingpin springs (with shims) is a common fix, as is the addition of a front steering damper. I'd say check for worn components too, except that my DW happened on a freshly rebuilt D60 so there was nothing that wasn't already new on there. I never really "fixed" mine, but I have masked it with the addition of hydro-assist steering (a fancy steering damper)

Personally, I feel that DW is a lateral oscillation of the front leafsprings caused by a suspension/wheel/tire harmonic vibration induced by a bump in the road, etc.

Good luck with it.

-G
    yup. that sounds about right. the problem is there are no leafs in teh JK, coils all around. i did get a new damper put in (not a heavy duty one though, just the stock one replaced under warranty) and that maybe made it a little better, but that was before the full blown DW...

the front axle is a d30 and the back a D44.

i'll be out there this weekend checking all the bolts and stuff are tight. hopefully that helps and thanks to everyone for teh tips!

Check your track bar bracket, I bet you ten to one the weld is cracked. How do I know same thing happened to me. Look hard at the weld.... That is why I have such a Large aftermarket bracket. If this is the issue you can just reweld the bracket for temporary.
    Last edited by Big Chris; 07-09-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    Check your track bar bracket, I bet you ten to one the weld is cracked. How do I know same thing happened to me. Look hard at the weld.... That is why I have such a Larg aftermarket bracket. If this is the issue you can just reweld the bracket for temporary.
    seen it happen even on stock JKs

They made these axles way to weak. They are 5 inches wider and everything is not up to par. The axles are bending, track bar brackets breaking, and the C's are bending unless you gusset them. Piss poor design....