Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Midland GMRS mic not working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marlborough, NH
    Posts
    387

    Default Midland GMRS mic not working

    Hey all. So as I found out yesterday on the Bacon to Margarita run yesterday my mic on my GMRS wasn't transmitting. I tested with my handheld FRS and I could hear it on there, but as I found out trying to tell everyone I was pulling off from the group and for everyone not to follow and they did. So I am not sure what to check so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. It receives well, just doesn't transmit.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sport S, full update coming soon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hopkinton, NH
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vballman View Post
    Hey all. So as I found out yesterday on the Bacon to Margarita run yesterday my mic on my GMRS wasn't transmitting. I tested with my handheld FRS and I could hear it on there, but as I found out trying to tell everyone I was pulling off from the group and for everyone not to follow and they did. So I am not sure what to check so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. It receives well, just doesn't transmit.
    Is your Midland a mobile (i.e. hard wired install with a mic that's a plug in separate unit?) - my Midland of that style with a "network cable plug" end, I had to replace the mic because they dont have any real strain relief on the cable end. After replacing it, I used zip ties to fix it to the support bar so the end isn't constantly being pulled apart during use.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

    Miss Jean - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy
    Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vballman View Post
    Hey all. So as I found out yesterday on the Bacon to Margarita run yesterday my mic on my GMRS wasn't transmitting. I tested with my handheld FRS and I could hear it on there, but as I found out trying to tell everyone I was pulling off from the group and for everyone not to follow and they did. So I am not sure what to check so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. It receives well, just doesn't transmit.
    If you could hear on a handheld but others couldn't on their radios maybe you have a faulty antenna connection? Could be that you just have reduced range from a bad antenna or cable?
    2022 Eruption Green Bronco Badlands 2Dr w/SAS
    2001 Lemans Blau E39 ///M5

    GMRS: WRUD268

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marlborough, NH
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Is your Midland a mobile (i.e. hard wired install with a mic that's a plug in separate unit?) - my Midland of that style with a "network cable plug" end, I had to replace the mic because they dont have any real strain relief on the cable end. After replacing it, I used zip ties to fix it to the support bar so the end isn't constantly being pulled apart during use.
    It is hardwired, the MTX400 model. It does have that "network cable" plug. I was wondering if i'd have to look into a new mic.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sport S, full update coming soon

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marlborough, NH
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elliott35 View Post
    If you could hear on a handheld but others couldn't on their radios maybe you have a faulty antenna connection? Could be that you just have reduced range from a bad antenna or cable?
    That sounds possible, but curious why I could hear others are a greater distance. I will definitely double check the antenna connections for sure.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sport S, full update coming soon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vballman View Post
    That sounds possible, but curious why I could hear others are a greater distance. I will definitely double check the antenna connections for sure.
    Squelch settings could do that depending on signal strength and or your SQ setting. If you have access to another radio for testing, you could try dropping squelch all the way down and see if anything comes through.
    2022 Eruption Green Bronco Badlands 2Dr w/SAS
    2001 Lemans Blau E39 ///M5

    GMRS: WRUD268

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hopkinton, NH
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    Test your handheld at some distance - not just right next to the Jeep. Poor antenna connection can show different results for transmit or receive. For the mic cable issue - for me it wasn't visible when inspecting the plug - but the behavior did change when I wiggle the connection
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

    Miss Jean - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy
    Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marlborough, NH
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Thanks guys, I'll try both of those suggestions this week and see if something happens and report back.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sport S, full update coming soon

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Windham
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Not sure if the hard wired radio is like the hand held settings. Was on group on my radio the other day and I could transmit out but nothing coming back in. Glad that didnít happen on my plea for help when alone in the dark with tundra, or wait a min here now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I AM ALWAYS IN TROUBLE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Derry NH
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vballman View Post
    That sounds possible, but curious why I could hear others are a greater distance. I will definitely double check the antenna connections for sure.

    when you installed your antenna/ran the cable, what did you do with the extra length? did you coil it up? If yes, there's your problem. On rx, the coil doesn't greatly diminish your signal, but on tx, its getting choked out. The figure8/infinity loop trick helps, but isn't best either. If you have just a rew feet of xtra cable, just take the long way around between radio and antenna.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----3" lift, Heftyfab skids & winch bumper, Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Milford, NH
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Iím with your thought of the mic . The wires and connector are pretty wimpy on those mic cables.
    Donít think it would take much to mess things up.
    ...as slow as possible... as fast as necessary!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •