Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Stuck body bolts

Default Stuck body bolts

So this is kind of a cross post (also posted in parts for sale).

I purchased a set of Fishbone Rock Sliders (https://www.quadratec.com/p/fishbone...tj/rocker-step) for my TJ and am having difficult putting them on. It's one of those things that should take, in theory, a couple of hours.....but.

I started on the passenger side and got two of the body bolts off "easily" enough. The third one though wouldn't budge and I felt I was on the verge of breaking something - and I just don't have the mechanical skill set needed to to repair anything I screw up!!

I talked to the garage that I usually bring the TJ to for work and they said they wouldn't install parts that I bring in so I had put them up for sale thinking that I could have my garage install something fresh.

Before I do that (and lose some $ in the transaction):

1. Any sure fire suggestions on getting those body mount bolts off (w/o breaking something!!)
    2. Any suggestions for a local garage or person in the manch area where I can take these and have them installed?

Quote Originally Posted by richb03045 View Post
    So this is kind of a cross post (also posted in parts for sale).

I purchased a set of Fishbone Rock Sliders (https://www.quadratec.com/p/fishbone...tj/rocker-step) for my TJ and am having difficult putting them on. It's one of those things that should take, in theory, a couple of hours.....but.

I started on the passenger side and got two of the body bolts off "easily" enough. The third one though wouldn't budge and I felt I was on the verge of breaking something - and I just don't have the mechanical skill set needed to to repair anything I screw up!!

I talked to the garage that I usually bring the TJ to for work and they said they wouldn't install parts that I bring in so I had put them up for sale thinking that I could have my garage install something fresh.

Before I do that (and lose some $ in the transaction):

1. Any sure fire suggestions on getting those body mount bolts off (w/o breaking something!!)
    2. Any suggestions for a local garage or person in the manch area where I can take these and have them installed?
    Try Concord Stage Auto in Weare off 77.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon "Everything needs a snorkel!" -me

2015 Tacoma Access 2.7 (aka 'Scratchy') -> 33" Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887/dakar pack, CBI sliders & skids, Pelfreybilt bumper, ****tybilt 9 winch, etc
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 33" Maxis Rzr MT, Dana 35 TTB, Locked F/R, 4.56 gears, 3" Duff lift, Warn m8000 winch, Duff F/R bumpers, 100s of hours of my pathetic life, 2.9l POS motor

That's a pretty harsh reaction for a regular customer, if I was treated that way I'd be looking for someone else to give my regular business to. I get that they don't want to make a practice of installing stuff bought on the internet at prices they can't match, but occasionally bailing out DIY'ers makes for loyal customers that are more likely to buy there in the future.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.10 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Don't have experience with a TJ so can only speak generally, having just done something similar with subframe bolts. If you feel like something is going to snap, then it probably is so definitely don't keep cranking, and definitely don't use an impact (ask me how I know). If they are like the bolts I was just working on and are on the frame somewhere, then it is likely there is a nut that is welded on to the frame that the bolt threads into, meaning snapping it either snaps the bolt or the nut weld, neither of which are good. I was able to get things to work by jacking the subframe up and down to relieve pressures on the bolts, which is what may be happening for you. Not sure how the car is situated currently, but its worth a try to jack the car up closest to where the bolt is and see if that helps. Any chance you are able to get some PB blaster/WD40/etc. on the bolt to see if that helps?
    It is also very likely that the design for the TJ and my car are very different and none of this applies, I just know that frame bolts can have a lot of tension in them, and generally have little margin for error in their installation.
    2010 Range Rover HSE - Buckingham Blue || Prospeed Sump Guard, Rock Sliders || 255/65/19 Wrangler AT Adventure

I had the same situation with Jennie's 01 TJ, except 3 of them would not budge. Though you can not see the other side of those bolts, there is a small space where you can get a spray nozzle in underneath by the rear wheel. I hosed them with PB Blaster every day for a week and was able to get them out without too much force. As I recall, I had to hose the front and back bolts from the same gap in the back, but it does spray that far. Just put something below as it may leak out on your driveway.
    John & Jennie

"The tire is half empty". Treadlightly! #1150432

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    That's a pretty harsh reaction for a regular customer, if I was treated that way I'd be looking for someone else to give my regular business to. I get that they don't want to make a practice of installing stuff bought on the internet at prices they can't match, but occasionally bailing out DIY'ers makes for loyal customers that are more likely to buy there in the future.
    True words! You close to the guys in Weare I mentioned. They bail me out all the time lol.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon "Everything needs a snorkel!" -me

2015 Tacoma Access 2.7 (aka 'Scratchy') -> 33" Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887/dakar pack, CBI sliders & skids, Pelfreybilt bumper, ****tybilt 9 winch, etc
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 33" Maxis Rzr MT, Dana 35 TTB, Locked F/R, 4.56 gears, 3" Duff lift, Warn m8000 winch, Duff F/R bumpers, 100s of hours of my pathetic life, 2.9l POS motor

Quote Originally Posted by J&J View Post
    I had the same situation with Jennie's 01 TJ, except 3 of them would not budge. Though you can not see the other side of those bolts, there is a small space where you can get a spray nozzle in underneath by the rear wheel. I hosed them with PB Blaster every day for a week and was able to get them out without too much force. As I recall, I had to hose the front and back bolts from the same gap in the back, but it does spray that far. Just put something below as it may leak out on your driveway.
    OK, now that I'm home and actually looking at it; I used the drain holes for access. The one in the rear is fairly close to a hole, the one in the front is a bit away from the hole that's big enough to get any angle on it. I think I bent the spray straw a little to help. I didn't need the middle mounts for her step rails, but there is a hole fairly close to that one as well.
    John & Jennie

"The tire is half empty". Treadlightly! #1150432

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

Fire is the word = HEAT!!
    I am not close, but have dealt with this many times...not fun!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)