Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Body Spacers

Default Throttle Body Spacers

Are they worth it? Do they actually do anything/help?
    Or do they just cause more issues down the line?
    You should spend 10 minutes in a hammock everyday.
    Unless you are busy.
    Then you should spend an hour.

2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ) - Stock.... except the 31" tires... and the rust... and the stickers all over the place....

Do what you want, IMO it won't make a diffenece except in noise-the computer adjusts everything. More air? It cuts it back. More fuel (bigger injectors)? It adjusts it.
    There are things you can do of course but all of it requires reprogramming the PCM.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

my two cents

more issues down the line
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

Can help a carb or tbi but won't do squat on mpi.
    Jason

'95 Cherokee - 4.0L/AT/231, 4" Lift, 33" BFG KM3's, HP30 front/D44 rear (4.56, Truetrac F&R)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

Really a waste of money, unless you want to add air intake noise. One would have to do a LOT more to feel any real advantages, but just this...no
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Thanks guys. I figured it might be a gimmick but I had come across one on Quadratecís site and had never really heard of them before so thought I would ask.

So what are some recommendations for a little more power? Since I put the 31ís on I find I have to downshift to 5th on hills on the highway. Would love to add a bit more power to over come that but have no desire to go crazy on it.
    Unless you are busy.

2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ) - Stock.... except the 31" tires... and the rust... and the stickers all over the place....

MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dgagne View Post
    Thanks guys. I figured it might be a gimmick but I had come across one on Quadratecís site and had never really heard of them before so thought I would ask.

So what are some recommendations for a little more power? Since I put the 31ís on I find I have to downshift to 5th on hills on the highway. Would love to add a bit more power to over come that but have no desire to go crazy on it.
    1. Cam(big gain)
    2. Header and cat-back
    3. Banks CAI
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgagne View Post
    When I bumped up to 31s, I happened to find axles out of a 4cyl TJ, that already had 4.10 gears in them. That made a world of difference, more so than a power increase, and the bolted right in. I spent two weekends (back first, then front), and just removed the axle housing and swapped them out. I reused brakes, shocks, springs, track bars, everything. Made my TJ drive like a WRX, for 200 bucks. Might be worth looking into.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ "Barbara Ann": 4.0, 5spd, 4.10s, soft top, mostly stock. 31X10.5R15. Back to being a DD. What could go wrong?

2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost "Lola": All stock, DD. Spun main bearing. R.I.P.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Tubadeuce View Post
    When I bumped up to 31s, I happened to find axles out of a 4cyl TJ, that already had 4.10 gears in them. That made a world of difference, more so than a power increase, and the bolted right in. I spent two weekends (back first, then front), and just removed the axle housing and swapped them out. I reused brakes, shocks, springs, track bars, everything. Made my TJ drive like a WRX, for 200 bucks. Might be worth looking into.

Gearing would help, and I almost wrote that, but knowing Dean(not trying to speak for him), I was trying to keep it on the easier and cheaper side(as I would). You got a great deal on those axles! However, I would be willing to bet that would be very difficult to find them that cheap again ;) Besides, as you said, that took some time/effort to do. Though I too have done that same thing, well with 4.88 geared axles, and it was indeed well worth it :)

In my opinion, the only way to make a 4.0 tolerable with off road tire rotating mass and other heavy add ons, is to gear it LOW. Like 4.88 or better low (VERY SMALL pinion gears at that point, so....). Maybe you can get away with 4.56's if your running 33s.

Or add a turbo, which I"ve seen a few people do, but can't speak to reliablity. As we know, every 4.0 is virtually indestructible, despite half the ones on craigslist having a motor replaced.

I drove a cammed 4.0 once. Sounded great, had great snot at 5k rpm, still sucked in the driving RPM range, and the guys said he went from 13 to 10 mpg. Took alot of tuning effort to get the most out of it too.

Cheapest solution? Chevy small block..... really....
    -Ben

- 1988 k5 Blazer, tons, Locked rear, 40s, hydro, long travel springs

- Tilton NH

Quote Originally Posted by Tubadeuce View Post

This was the same experience I had with my YJ; bolt in power increase after I went to 31's. Still using them with the 33's! It seems that it's pretty tough to beat the factory gears for longevity.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.10 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

So much for not going crazy, lol
    Unless you are busy.

best thing I ever did for my old xj was 4.56s and the rubicon transfer case.

but no a throttle body spacer does nothing except add noise. IIRC there's some dyno sheets somewhere that actually showed a power loss

ive been out of the scene for a while but bola header/exhausts used to be plentiful and getting cheaper, that paired with a cold air intake would make a bit of a difference
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"

A throttle body spacer just effectively makes the plenum of your intake manifold slightly larger. This can be desirable on some engines, but also definitely cause a loss of power on others. I had one on a Subaru (small plenum, long intake runners) many many years ago, and I'm not sure it did anything even though that's about where I'd expect to see more difference than anything. I'd reckon that Jeep has already biased their intake design towards the lower RPM side of things, and that adding a spacer wouldn't do a darn thing.
    Scott

2007 Toyota Tacoma

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bhd6th View Post
    In my opinion, the only way to make a 4.0 tolerable with off road tire rotating mass and other heavy add ons, is to gear it LOW. Like 4.88 or better low (VERY SMALL pinion gears at that point, so....). Maybe you can get away with 4.56's if your running 33s.
    Or add a turbo, which I"ve seen a few people do, but can't speak to reliablity. As we know, every 4.0 is virtually indestructible, despite half the ones on craigslist having a motor replaced.
    I drove a cammed 4.0 once. Sounded great, had great snot at 5k rpm, still sucked in the driving RPM range, and the guys said he went from 13 to 10 mpg. Took alot of tuning effort to get the most out of it too.
    Cheapest solution? Chevy small block..... really....
    Been running 4.88 for years on 33's(AT's which helps), just got to wheel easier than you Ben :p
    I thought supercharger, more reliable than a turbo, but not cheap either.
    Half the 4.0L? The only real issue with them was the 0331 head circa 2000. Any other issue is operator error, such as not changing the oil or low/no oil.
    From spacer to SBC...cheap solution?

Quote Originally Posted by redneckboarder12 View Post
    best thing I ever did for my old xj was 4.56s and the rubicon transfer case.
    but no a throttle body spacer does nothing except add noise. IIRC there's some dyno sheets somewhere that actually showed a power loss
    ive been out of the scene for a while but bola header/exhausts used to be plentiful and getting cheaper, that paired with a cold air intake would make a bit of a difference
    Got 4.88's with the NV241OR too, and it is indeed great! Though a Rock-Trac case itself will run >$800 :o
    Some knock off and cheap spacers do/can actually loose HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    A throttle body spacer just effectively makes the plenum of your intake manifold slightly larger. This can be desirable on some engines, but also definitely cause a loss of power on others. I had one on a Subaru (small plenum, long intake runners) many many years ago, and I'm not sure it did anything even though that's about where I'd expect to see more difference than anything. I'd reckon that Jeep has already biased their intake design towards the lower RPM side of things, and that adding a spacer wouldn't do a darn thing.
    Ya, when Jeep changed their intakes in 98-99 it really negated any benefits from a good spacer. Mine has been upgraded to the newer intake. And the previous owner already installed a spacer. I don't think it adds anything, but I leave it on because it seems like it might help fuel mileage a wee bit.