Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Compass Shift Knob

Default Compass Shift Knob

Anyone ever see a shift knob with a working compass in it? Google searches just turn up Jeep Compass shift knobs. Very frustrating...
    2003 TJ

Super cool idea!

Here is a vintage shift knob with a working compass in it: https://www.ebay.com/i/233612603086?...saAksuEALw_wcB

They are out there. Play around with your search terms a little, don't be afraid to be specific with your search engine of choice.

I guess I'll be the spoilsport here but... I hope you're just thinking this is awesome, because it is, but please don't use it for navigation!

I've recently been trying to install a compass in my sea kayak. I bought stainless steel hardware, right? It turns out that some stainless is slightly magnetic. I was able to give a 5 degree swing to the compass needle by bringing one bolt to the hole in the compass bezel!

So I'm using brass.

The point is, a magnetic compass inside a Jeep should only look cool, just don't use it.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Definitely just for looks (I should have made that clear) but thanks for pointing this out in case anyone was wondering
    2003 TJ

Gabe
    This might help if you want to try to DIY one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6IxTUMQlEg