Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Today's question - RTV on manifold gasket or not?

Default Today's question - RTV on manifold gasket or not?

Title says it all, do you use RTV around coolant ports on intake manifold gaskets or not? I had one fail on me and mix coolant with my oil. I am in the process of replacing it. The gasket is meant to be used with no RTV (other than the bead in the front and back of the valley where there is no gasket material). Here is the thing - I am working with 30 year old engine parts and it is quite possible that things are not as flat as they should be. Would you smear a little RTV around the coolant ports of the gasket in order to ensure a seal or not? I am guessing we have some folks that say never and some that say do it. Thoughts? BTW I usually use Permatex The Right Stuff.

Sean
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift, 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod, James Duff Bumper (Warn m8000 winch)

There is no Electric Eye without The Hellion.

If you think items are warped you need to put a straight edge tool on them and check the gap.
    An armed society is a polite society.

If only the intake manifold was off and that was easy to check, right Sean?
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

As yet unnamed - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - ordered not even built by FCA yet
    Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy

Already did that lol
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift, 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod, James Duff Bumper (Warn m8000 winch)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Title says it all, do you use RTV around coolant ports on intake manifold gaskets or not? I had one fail on me and mix coolant with my oil. I am in the process of replacing it. The gasket is meant to be used with no RTV (other than the bead in the front and back of the valley where there is no gasket material). Here is the thing - I am working with 30 year old engine parts and it is quite possible that things are not as flat as they should be. Would you smear a little RTV around the coolant ports of the gasket in order to ensure a seal or not? I am guessing we have some folks that say never and some that say do it. Thoughts? BTW I usually use Permatex The Right Stuff. Sean
    That stuff is awesome Sean, though expensive :o so should work fine on that area ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

I would probably use something thin, like Permatex high-tack sealant.

I use it on a lot of things that don't necessarily call for sealant, when I want to be extra careful.

Also it doesn't really "cure", so if the parts have to come back apart, they aren't stuck together.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

I have found that RTV works best as a gasket to contain something with little to no pressure. When pressure is added to the mix you need a more rigid gasket. Paper, cork, rubber, soft metals and so on. I do like to use rtv to help hold some gaskets in place but really anything tacky works for that.
    97 Jeep XJ Trussed/gusseted D30,Ford 8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Stock 4.0 with a NVG241OR Rock-trac,5.5" long arm, full under armor, OBA, 35x12.5-15.

NEA

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    I would probably use something thin, like Permatex high-tack sealant.

I use it on a lot of things that don't necessarily call for sealant, when I want to be extra careful.

Also it doesn't really "cure", so if the parts have to come back apart, they aren't stuck together.
    That stuff is awesome, and the only thing I used for my base gasket on my race Banshee ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

my .02, i will never ever use anythgin except the right stuff. I had a hard to diagnose oil leak on a SBC, kept blowing the rtv out of the back of the intake manifold, switched to the right stuff and it held, the paper gasket on the heads blew...that bing said there was an internal ventilation issue in the engine that it helped me diagnose and all is well now.

TLDR; right stuff silicone is stronger than paper gaskets
    jon
    some parts to build a YJ buggy
    "look at life through the windshield not the rear view"