Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Midland MXT105 MicroMobile install for a 2007 Jeep Rubicon

Hybrid View

Default Midland MXT105 MicroMobile install for a 2007 Jeep Rubicon

Fun project I was finally able to finish with the goal of giving myself comm flexibility for my off-road trips. I had 2 requirements for this installation: 1. Have a stock OEM look and 2. Utilize my existing Tuffy Flip N Lock Stereo cover and tray. I had someone steal a CB radio out of my Jeep, so Iím a little paranoid of about leaving any of my equipment unsecured.

I plan on getting a stand-alone Navigation system, so I took out the double DIN radio and replaced it with a single DIN radio receiver. The receiver is a Kenwood KMM-BT522HD and it comes with XM and Bluetooth for my phone. Surprisingly it was cheaper to buy this then a blue-tooth module for the OEM radio. The extra space below the single DIN is where I planned for the MicroMobile MXT105 and found a bracket that fit my need perfectly. It is a Metra 99-6511 bracket.

I had to do a little modification to the Metra bracket in order to feed the antenna cable and power connector to the MicroMobile.

As can be seen from the photos, I had to get equipment to connect the aftermarket radio to the Jeep and route cables for power and the antenna. I also found a mic holder bracket from CoolTech called versamount that installs using the screws for the radio mount.

Completed unit with the Tuffy cover installed. Able to lock up the radios if I have the doors off or dissuade anyone from busting my window again.

I do want to give credit to Tundra for giving me the idea from the CB install he did a couple of years ago. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Stock.

Michael T

Ham call sign: KC1KWS

Looks great! I so want one of these little guys. How much heat do they give off?
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift, 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod, James Duff Bumper (Warn m8000 winch)

Looks good to me! I've still got to figure out where to put one of those in addition to my CB and Kenwood 710 ham (body in the console, head on my accessory rail on the dash, but there is no more room there for yet another box)
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

As yet unnamed - 2021 Wrangler Rubicon - mine-mine-mine-no-matter-what-the-bank-says - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?33005
    Wheezy Chicken (Gone now, RIP) - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer') - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...ame-for-it-yet
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually - https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...390-Old-Swampy

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Looks good to me! I've still got to figure out where to put one of those in addition to my CB and Kenwood 710 ham (body in the console, head on my accessory rail on the dash, but there is no more room there for yet another box)
    This is what I did with my CB. Again paranoid about it getting stolen again. It is also a Tuffy unit.

Michael T

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Think big...

"I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift, 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod, James Duff Bumper (Warn m8000 winch)

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Looks great! I so want one of these little guys. How much heat do they give off?
    Thanks, so far the unit doesn't get too hot, but I have not used it alot. It does have a large radiator fin on the back and its well ventilated, so I don't imagine running into any problems.

Michael T

Nice install! They put out very little heat. Especially the 5watt units. You gain SOOO much with a good external antenna. At 5w you can even run a 3db gain antenna iirc.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----3" lift, Heftyfab skids & winch bumper, Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Default Update

Was able to finally install a new Antenna for the radio. Cut for the for this radio, still need to test the SWR, but working great so far. Using a NMO connector to connect the cable. Also I got a splitter so that I could feed the FM/AM connection to my other radio.

Michael T