Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fender Flares

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Size or ? I like to keep as close to factory width. Sometimes they have different OE options to work with.

No need to apologize.

Not exactly sure of what you asked above(typo?) but basically taller tires allow for more sidewall flex, so better traction and ride. Plus you gain more ground clearance! Skinnier tires apply more "contact pressure" as apposed to "contact area" of wider tires. Latter would be good for flat surfaces(think drag racing). Former is better for a lot off-road conditions.

By going narrower, you save a lot of weight(less heavy rubber and steel belting ;) Also trying to find a load C(6-ply) instead of a load D or E(8 and 10 ply respectively) which will also shed some pounds.

Lower wheel and tire weight mean quicker acceleration, stopping, turning, and better fuel mileage(being slender will also help MPG by cutting the air instead of plowing more of it :)

Hope this helps you.
    Helps a ton thanks! it was a typo, but you answered what I was trying to ask. Definitely all things I hardly considered, really appreciate the insight!!

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb Math with Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by vballman View Post
    I have the factory JK Willy's Wheels and tires 255/75R17. Going up to a 35" size what would be a good width to go with to stay close?
    As far as I know they still make 35x10.5RXX tires, but that is LT(Light Truck) flotation sizing. As for the newer standard of the P-metric(thanks to the larger rim diameters), not sure what they make comparable. I can tell you that your first number of 255[mm] is equal to about a 10" width, so going to wider 265mm would get you close to that 10-1/2" width :)

So knowing the first number and the rim size, basic math(265/25.4 x .85 x 2 +17 = 34.74") would deduce that the second number(aspect ratio) would need to be 85 to consider that tire to be ~35 inches tall. Know that most flotation sizing tires are actually a little shorter than what is shown on the sidewall. Usually they are 1/2" shorter, but I have seen some almost 1" smaller :O

Answer: 265/85R17 Though again, not sure they even make that size, but they probably do ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Awesome thanks Shawn! That helps a lot!

The bfg ko2 comes in 34x10.5x17, though bfg are rumored to run small.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

Default 35x10.5R17

This year I'll be going with the Kenda Klever RT KR601 35x10.5R17LT (34.76 diameter, load range D) on 7" wheels (4" backspacing).

Has anyone tried these yet? They haven't been out for long, but the reviews are favorable.

https://automotive.kendatire.com/en-...oad/klever-rt/
    John & Jennie

"The tire is half empty". Treadlightly! #1150432

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

I use to race with Kenda, and have used them mountain biking as well. Good company.
    I have no experience with these specific tires, but I like the original design, and think they did well. Plus their pricing is always low :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)