Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Winch Questions

Default Winch Questions

Hey guys! So, two questions, because I'm curious what everybody else does. First- after you use your winch, what's your methodology for re-wrapping it all nice and neat again after? Mine requires a few people, so I'm curious if anyone here knows the secret to making it easier. The other one is for those of you with steel lines, how often do you re-wrap them to keep everything lubricated and all set? I have my methods which I learned from people who I trust and respect, I'm not just winging it, but I'm curious what you all do! Thanks!

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

I always tried to keep my lines neat, but sometimes that meant I had to wait until after the wheeling trip, so probably would mean I did it alone.

With steel, when it looked dry(before any rust would potentially start), I would just soak it down with WD-40. Never had a problem, though I switched to synthetic years later.

I always thought about this thing:

Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Iím an old school guy (or just old) and use steel cable.
    After using it in the woods, when I get back I find 100í area with a slight uphill grade , run the cable out, leaving at least 10 wraps on the drum, anchor up to a tree, put it in neutral, little pressure on the e-brake, point the wheels straight at the tree, power in the cable as I walk with it helping guide the cable in (just keep a safe distance from the fairlead) . End of the season light coat of spray silicon keep the cable in good shape.
    Happy New Year!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by stillmurphee View Post
    Hey guys! So, two questions, because I'm curious what everybody else does. First- after you use your winch, what's your methodology for re-wrapping it all nice and neat again after? Mine requires a few people, so I'm curious if anyone here knows the secret to making it easier. The other one is for those of you with steel lines, how often do you re-wrap them to keep everything lubricated and all set? I have my methods which I learned from people who I trust and respect, I'm not just winging it, but I'm curious what you all do! Thanks!
    ...as slow as possible... as fast as necessary!

I've used the hill method before and had it work. I've also done the 2 person method with one person working the control and the other guiding the line onto the drum. Now that I have a wireless controller, I'm going to try walking it in myself. It will never look perfect but, as long as the mine isn't crisscrossed all over itself, it is good to run.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

We have a small hill on our road but it doesn't create the ~1000 lbs that most of the winch mfgs want to spool. I line it up down the road, anchor to the tractor or one of the other trucks in the driveway and lightly set the parking brake. With my wireless controller I usually help feed cable while my 5 yr old steers based on hand signals while the Jeep idles.

Your results with 5 year olds may vary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone! And ya, my 4yo niece would probably love to try but... I think not