Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: 3rd gen 4Runner transfer case oil question

Default 3rd gen 4Runner transfer case oil question

Hello all,

I have a 3rd gen 4Runner which Iím looking to replace the transmission and transfer case oils in.

I have two bottles of 75W90 GL5 red line oil which is the recommended oil for the tcase. However, it says that it is for hypoid gears with a friction modifier. Would this be ok to put in the tcase or would I need something without the friction modifier? Any info appreciated

Edit:

ď
    DIFFERENTIAL OIL
    75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL
    The go-to gear oil for most differentials.
    For use in both front and rear differentials plus transfer case where applicable
    For use in transfer case of 4x4 modelsĒ

When I click on the fluid it shows the GL5 for hypoid gears. Am I overthinking this? Am I good to just use that in the t case?

Last edited by FLOOREDRUNNER; 12-24-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    2000 Toyota 4Runner - 285k and counting - 5 Speed - RMR Matterhorn - Bilstein 5100/Eibach/Toytec 3" lift - Diff. Drop - 285/75r16 Grabber ATX - Daily Driver.

Democratik Peoples Republik of Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by FLOOREDRUNNER View Post
    Hello all,

I have a 3rd gen 4Runner which Iím looking to replace the transmission and transfer case oils in.

I have two bottles of 75W90 GL5 red line oil which is the recommended oil for the tcase. However, it says that it is for hypoid gears with a friction modifier. Would this be ok to put in the tcase or would I need something without the friction modifier? Any info appreciated

Edit:

ď
    DIFFERENTIAL OIL
    75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL
    The go-to gear oil for most differentials.
    For use in both front and rear differentials plus transfer case where applicable
    For use in transfer case of 4x4 modelsĒ

When I click on the fluid it shows the GL5 for hypoid gears. Am I overthinking this? Am I good to just use that in the t case?

Should be fine. I believe the friction modifier is for diffs with lsd, but should be fine to use in the tcase. On my FJ last time I did fluids all the parts store had was the m1 great oil with additive. Used it in both diffs and tcase just fine.

Enjoy the smell.
    98 Landcruiser - luxury offroad yacht
    07 FJ Cruiser -Built for expeditions to daycare and the mall
    11 T4R - Soccer Mom White
    92 toyota pickup - #1 choice of transportation for militants worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Should be fine. I believe the friction modifier is for diffs with lsd, but should be fine to use in the tcase. On my FJ last time I did fluids all the parts store had was the m1 great oil with additive. Used it in both diffs and tcase just fine.

Enjoy the smell.
    Perfect! Thank you.
    2000 Toyota 4Runner - 285k and counting - 5 Speed - RMR Matterhorn - Bilstein 5100/Eibach/Toytec 3" lift - Diff. Drop - 285/75r16 Grabber ATX - Daily Driver.

Enjoy the smell.

...enjoy the smell...lmfao
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    ...enjoy the smell...lmfao
    Can't wait!

Pro tip: leave the bottles of used gear oil outside your garage. Then forget about them, and the first time it snows run them over with your snow blower. Instant rust protection & lubrication of your snowblower. And it's environmentally friendly, returning the dead dinosaurs back to the Earth.

Dude, you should do offroad stand up

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

I assume they want the additive in for the limited transfer cases that have a part time 4wd option. Iíve always ran regular 75-90 in all Toyota diffs except for the LSD rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    99 4runner
    95 Tacoma on FJ80 axles

Quote Originally Posted by thepinktaco View Post
    I assume they want the additive in for the limited transfer cases that have a part time 4wd option. Iíve always ran regular 75-90 in all Toyota diffs except for the LSD rears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last night I replaced the transfer case oil with Red Line 75w90 GL5 "for hypoid gears with friction modifier" and the transmission with Red Line MT90 which is 75w90 GL4. Will update with more mileage. So far have put about 30 miles on it and all is well..

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Dude, you should do offroad stand up
    It's not comedy, it's my real life idiocy. Last winter in ran over 2 bottles of used gear oil with my snowblower and showered the end of my driveway with it.

It's not comedy, it's my real life idiocy. Last winter in ran over 2 bottles of used gear oil with my snowblower and showered the end of my driveway with it.

Its funny 'cause its true