Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Warn winch controller socket

Default Warn winch controller socket

UUuuugggggggg.......

Warn's decision to go to a non-locking connector (apparently to allow you to yank the controller wire for *safety) is doing me raw. My 5pin connector won't make proper connection unless I hold it at a wierd angle (like standing on your head with 1 hand)...

A $.50 part (the female pin) has me looking at a $50-$100 solution... all because Warn doesn't sell the socket itself (which they could sell for $5)

Found this out a few days ago while cleaning up teh truck following FYGO... winch cable was smeared with mud and needed to respool/tension the cable... good thing I didn't pull the whole spool out...

Aside from wiring up an in-cab, any low-buck solutions? Not sure if I trust the chineeze wireless 'kits' but not keen on a $100-200 wireless kit from Warn doesn't make sense either...
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    UUuuugggggggg.......

Warn's decision to go to a non-locking connector (apparently to allow you to yank the controller wire for *safety) is doing me raw. My 5pin connector won't make proper connection unless I hold it at a wierd angle (like standing on your head with 1 hand)...

A $.50 part (the female pin) has me looking at a $50-$100 solution... all because Warn doesn't sell the socket itself (which they could sell for $5)

Found this out a few days ago while cleaning up teh truck following FYGO... winch cable was smeared with mud and needed to respool/tension the cable... good thing I didn't pull the whole spool out...

Aside from wiring up an in-cab, any low-buck solutions? Not sure if I trust the chineeze wireless 'kits' but not keen on a $100-200 wireless kit from Warn doesn't make sense either...
    I feel your pain. I wanted to buy the cap for the receptacle on the winch when the tie strap on mine broke. Have to buy the whole receptacle to get it; $.57 part for $57, thanks Warn.

You know, now that I think of it; that's something I didn't try last Saturday, I just made the leap that something serious had gone wrong with the winch.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    I feel your pain. I wanted to buy the cap for the receptacle on the winch when the tie strap on mine broke. Have to buy the whole receptacle to get it; $.57 part for $57, thanks Warn.

You know, now that I think of it; that's something I didn't try last Saturday, I just made the leap that something serious had gone wrong with the winch.
    In your case, could hear relay clacking. I get nothing if i dont stand on my head at a 44.5 deg
    But worth trying. Also is yours 3pin or 5pin?
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs