Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Rebalancing 35s and Wear?

Default Rebalancing 35s and Wear?

So I have 35" Cooper STT Pros that got put on the Jeep last June. Just did the first Rotation last week after 5,000 miles. Started getting a shaking at highway speeds and I immediately knew it was the tires needing to be re-balanced. Haven't done any crazy wheeling or air downs. Mostly playing with the pressure in the beginning to see what felt right. I brought it back to the shop I originally had the work done at. The guy called me and said yes they needed to be re-balanced (of course) $200 to do all 5.

Does this seem outrageous? I know a lot of the smaller shops won't do big tires because their machines aren't big enough. Bigger shops I'm a little iffy on especially with the Jeep. Just wondering what people's opinions are on this and if $200 is crazy or not.

I haven't heard much about the STT Pros wearing bad, but he seemed to be pretty adamant about them not liking them because they don't wear well.

Let's hear it!

Tire warehouse was like 75. Itís not a break down and remount.
    97 Jeep XJ Trussed/gusseted D30,Ford 8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Stock 4.0 with a NVG241OR Rock-trac,5.5" long arm, full under armor, OBA, 35x12.5-15.

NEA

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

That is outrages!
    Do DynaBeads and never worry about balancing tires again ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

careful with using small balancing media on tires that will be aired up and down often. its easy to introduce water and it will screw with the media. Never use steel BBs for that reason.
    Last edited by Mach2NH; 12-10-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    97 Jeep XJ Trussed/gusseted D30,Ford 8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Stock 4.0 with a NVG241OR Rock-trac,5.5" long arm, full under armor, OBA, 35x12.5-15.

NEA

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    That is outrages!
    Do DynaBeads and never worry about balancing tires again ;)
    AND you never have to worry about icy mud buildup either!
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Go to Mr Gees in Goffstown in the future...they can balance anything and they are honest
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Tire shops charge to rebalance? When I lived out west, Discount Tire never charged. Bob's tire in Nashua also doesn't charge. That's a bummer.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

I didn't buy the tires through them so I can see why they charged. Wow. Pretty bummed now. I should call my credit card company and say I never authorized the charge LOL. I'll definitely try out some of the spots you guys have recommended. Sad day lol

Quote Originally Posted by dun_right View Post
    I didn't buy the tires through them so I can see why they charged.
    Sorry to hear they took advantage, that's terrible business.

The free (actually, paid in advance) rotation and balance is the reason I went with a tire dealer instead of DIY. With a little shopping around I found prices that were comparable. Now I have Sullivan's do a 5 tire rotation and balance once a year, lifetime rotation comes with the tire purchase, lifetime balance was $20/tire.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    Tire shops charge to rebalance? When I lived out west, Discount Tire never charged. Bob's tire in Nashua also doesn't charge. That's a bummer.
    Town Fair doesn't charge.

When I lived in Texas, Discount Tire had great deals, but I watched 'em close. One time after a rotation, they parked my van right in front of the door, with the right rear directly in front of the door, with only four of five lug nuts.

I spun around before the door closed and pointed this out to the manager, while everyone else scattered and got really busy studying the floor tiles.

"Oh, the tech said it was missing when you came in."

ORLY. "So you already knew, but you were going to let a vehicle leave with a major safety violation without even bothering to offer to fix it? And by the way, if the tech said that, he's lying. I checked before leaving the house, and again before I gave you the keys. Those are custom wheels with deep thin lug nuts. Somebody dropped one down the drain and hoped it would slide."

They managed to "find" one. It didn't match exactly, but close enough.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    ...When I lived in Texas, Discount Tire had great deals, but I watched 'em close. One time after a rotation, they parked my van right in front of the door, with the right rear directly in front of the door, with only four of five lug nuts.

I spun around before the door closed and pointed this out to the manager, while everyone else scattered and got really busy studying the floor tiles.

"Oh, the tech said it was missing when you came in."

ORLY. "So you already knew, but you were going to let a vehicle leave with a major safety violation without even bothering to offer to fix it? And by the way, if the tech said that, he's lying. I checked before leaving the house, and again before I gave you the keys. Those are custom wheels with deep thin lug nuts. Somebody dropped one down the drain and hoped it would slide."

They managed to "find" one. It didn't match exactly, but close enough.
    What is it with tire shops like this? Sorry they lost your lug nut, but it could have been worse: https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...and-new-tires!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)