Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Best AT Tire for the area?

Default Best AT Tire for the area?

Sorry if this was already asked here, but Id love to hear from you guys what is the best AT tires to get for the area?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by YotaDre View Post
    Sorry if this was already asked here, but Id love to hear from you guys what is the best AT tires to get for the area?
    TIA
    Best Hybrid Tire for this area IMHO is the cooper ST MAXX or the Wrangler Duratrac. The tread voids are large enough to hand mud, they are somewhat sticky enough to crawl rocks and they are both decent in the snow.

With that being said, I just went to the General Grabber ATX and I am loving the on-road characteristics of these tires. They are a 2-ply sidewall so we shall see when I hammer on them offroad.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift, 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod, James Duff Bumper (Warn m8000 winch)

I'm happy with General Tracker AT2, I'd still be running them but I wanted a size that's not available. Currently running BFG KO2's, also very happy with these.

Both are quiet on pavement, wear well, and have not failed to impress in any class VI conditions. Awesome in winter conditions too.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.10 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

I enjoyed my Duratracs very much, until I gashed the sidewall of one open on a stick. I switched to BFG KO2s experimentally and I'm definitely liking them as well. I think that Duratracs were a bit better in the snow than my KO2s, but I'm also in a 2-door JK without the rear seats in, so my vehicle weight may be a factor.

My ko2s are simply the next best thing to actual snow tires. 275/70r18 so basically 33x11, not a bad width which is also important when it comes to rain and slush traction and feel. I was out in slert snow slush and ice last season that would have ditched my old kms and likely not been good for my old km2s.
    Mine are also E load, so no sidewall worries off road.
    Last but not least, being a tire thread...YMMV

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

Ive put my duratracs through hell and the sidewalls have held op great. Sticks or rocks at the right angle will pierce any tire
    Ive sidewall-climbed alot of rocks and roots

On rocks lots lf traction. Mud, good traction and selfcleaning, but there are better like superswampers. Onroad feel is decent but C loadrange will feel a little lean. E range less so. Snow traction has been good to very good.
    Treadwear has been very good, with 40k mi on the frontier and still at 8-9/32 depth.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----3" lift, Heftyfab skids & winch bumper, Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Thanks for all the feedbacks, I decided to take my chances with Falken AT3W, just based on on line reviews, fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt you will be disappointed with the Wildpeaks. I have seen them off-road on a Tacoma and they went as good as tires costing way more. They will be my next tire for sure.

Good to know, thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by YotaDre View Post
    Thanks for all the feedbacks, I decided to take my chances with Falken AT3W, just based on on line reviews, fingers crossed

I have the same on my Tacoma. Love them. For the price they can't be beat. Some guys have had balancing issues with them. First set I ordered had two out of round tires that had to be replaced. I've seen some reports of it taking 10 tires to find 4 good ones. But after that, you'll be good!

Same. I went with the Falken wildpeaks (AT3W) 275/70r17 for my 4runner. Only have a week or so on them but already did a full day off road (With NAC) and it was wet and muddy and aired down to 20 psi they did great. At 35-38 psi they roll really well and have done a few solid days of all highway and very happy with the low noise.
    Missed the last snow storm a few weeks ago but this last one, 3/4 of the time, I didn't even feel the need to shift into 4hi. Just stayed rear wheel and they were planted.