Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Warped flanges on mufflers

Default Warped flanges on mufflers

I have a warped flange on a muffler and it is giving me fits. The ears on it are bent out and thus the two surfaces are not mating properly and giving me a leak at the bottom of the flange. Solutions? I am think heat and bend it until it fits, but something easier would be nice for once.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Democratik Peoples Republik of Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    I have a warped flange on a muffler and it is giving me fits. The ears on it are bent out and thus the two surfaces are not mating properly and giving me a leak at the bottom of the flange. Solutions? I am think heat and bend it until it fits, but something easier would be nice for once.

Sawzall?
    98 Landcruiser - luxury offroad yacht
    07 FJ Cruiser -Built for expeditions to daycare and the mall
    11 T4R - Soccer Mom White
    92 toyota pickup - #1 choice of transportation for militants worldwide

This the ball flange with the springs? My sister had a similar setup and it was less work to just make a "gasket" out of some soft aluminum to sandwich in between. The soft alum conforms to the imperfections. Going this route has its limitations.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Democratik Peoples Republik of Massachusetts

You might need to get a new joint. It's not cheap either. One of mine had a leak and it needed replace to fix. I tried the new gasket route and it didn't help
    98 Landcruiser - luxury offroad yacht
    07 FJ Cruiser -Built for expeditions to daycare and the mall
    11 T4R - Soccer Mom White
    92 toyota pickup - #1 choice of transportation for militants worldwide

Being a 4 cylinder the muffler flange is just a flat 2 bolt. You can buy replacement flanges to weld on if they are really bad. If not I use the copper gasket sealer all the time on rotted flanges and it works good.
    99 4runner
    95 Tacoma on FJ80 axles

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb My idea / $.02

Sorry I did not chime in earlier, but just remembered that I have used split repair flanges in the past with good result to fix similar issues. Nice thing is that there is no disassembly needed ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Sorry I did not chime in earlier, but just remembered that I have used split repair flanges in the past with good result to fix similar issues. Nice thing is that there is no disassembly needed ;)
    This may actually work. It is the flange between the cat and the muffler on my Bronco II. The ears on the muffler flange are bent away from the muffler, so I can't get a good seal on the bottom of the flange. I am thinking the split repair flanges might apply enough pressure in the right spots to suck up the gap.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    This may actually work. It is the flange between the cat and the muffler on my Bronco II. The ears on the muffler flange are bent away from the muffler, so I can't get a good seal on the bottom of the flange. I am thinking the split repair flanges might apply enough pressure in the right spots to suck up the gap.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)