Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Dead winch diagnosis

Default Dead winch diagnosis

OK I know someone here can diagnose this in a heartbeat. Here's what happened:

-Tried to lug in controller for winch and it automatic started running.
    - It wasnt a stuck controller switch
    - Tried again and it automatically ran again without touching switch.
    - Tried again and nothing...switch doesn't activate winch anymore.

I am guessing I shorted something.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sean
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

Check your posts and connectors on the winch a make sure you have a good ground. My superwinch worked fine for over a year, one day it just stopped, of course I freaked out until I found that the ground location wasn’t weather proof and even though it was connected it got corroded and failed, I cleaned the ground reconnected and poof it magically worked ever since.

Test the leads with a voltmeter, try another controller, do you hear clicking, could’ve blown a solenoid.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

What kind of winch? Do you have the option to use the remote wirelessly? Electrical gremlins can be a pain to diagnose, but I agree with the post above. Check and clean everything and go from there. Definitely sounds like a short somewhere in the control pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk