Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Oil level sensor leak

Default Oil level sensor leak

So my BII has a leak at the oil level sensor. They don't make the gaskets anymore as far as I can tell. Anyone try RTV in this sort of instance? I really don't need the sensor, I wonder if I could find a plug for it?
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

I would think a good chemically resistant rtv would work. Either as a gasket, or if oosdible around it where it goes into the block. Guessing on application, just saying that because I s3aled a leaking, actually draing, yoke seal on my tj np231 output. Even though it was only a finger bead around the area, it worked for years.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

Don't they have kits of make-a-gasket where you can cut your own? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWE3VO..._rc1sDb029N3W2
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

Wheezy Chicken - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Don't they have kits of make-a-gasket where you can cut your own? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWE3VO..._rc1sDb029N3W2
    Those are new to me, anyone have any experience?
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Those are new to me, anyone have any experience?
    I don't - I think I first saw them on Road Kill (that may or may not be actually an endorsement that they work well in the long run)
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

Wheezy Chicken - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

I have not used that kind before, but have used the cork style sheets and just cut out what I needed with good results.
    However like you wrote, "gasket maker" RTV made to work with oil and the temperature it would handle would work too, if applied properly ;)
    Hope this helps and wish you good luck either way.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

What does it look like? Flange? Pipe thread? I'm guessing it's a flange like a thermostat housing? If so, RTV should work fine on clean, smooth surfaces with no gouges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    , if applied properly ;)
    I agree; the "if applied properly" is key. I'd try red RTV, thin bead, let it "skin" (about 15-20 minutes), install snug, wait another 5 minutes, then torque to spec. This is how I install my diff covers and haven't had a leak yet.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411