Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas containers

Default Gas containers

Hi all.
    How many of you carry extra fuel on offroad trips? Would you say its a necessity for exploring in NH?

If you do, what are you using? Ive been looking at the Rotopax on Amazon, but the get mixed reviews. The poor reviews are due to some having leak issues! Anyone use these ones?

-steve

Unless your rig gets truly horrible mileage, or you have a tiny gas tank it's not necessary. Safety is an issue too, in my opinion.

I haven't needed to top off the tank before the end of a run, and that's an old Wrangler (famous for poor mileage) with a 20 gallon tank. Saturday was 182 miles including driving from Fitchburg and back. Filled up the next day with 4 or 5 gallons left in the tank.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

The only place I've thought it might be needed was a trip to the North Maine Woods - and even though I'm glad I brought it - I ended up not using it even on that trip.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - in my he-shed undergoing reassembly into mostly stock form

you shouldn't need to carry extra fuel on any average ENH day trip. I have a rotopax container for my ATV and I love it. The only issues I have is with fuel expansion especially in hot weather can make it difficult to unscrew the clamp hold it to the machine.
    Back In Only Please

Ditto, even after a 16 hour day of wheeling in NH, I have plenty of gas. Most I have aver burned locally is about 1/2 a tank (I get 19mpg average - 4 banger pride baby)
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Thanks for replies. Seems it's an unnecessary precaution having spare fuel.
    I just did nearly eight hours on class 6 roads and barley used a 1/4 tank. I gotta stop overthinking everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    The only place I've thought it might be needed was a trip to the North Maine Woods - and even though I'm glad I brought it - I ended up not using it even on that trip.
    can you elaborate on this please? how many days & miles did you travel 'off road' up there? thx
    Budget Built Rubiclone

Democratik Peoples Republik of Massachusetts

Get a real Jerry can (i.e. wavian) if you really need it. No worries about expansion, breakage etc. Can store them upright or on their sides. That being said I concur, unless you're doing a multiday trip in the NMW there's not much need for it. Even on my FJ with it's pathetically small gas tank and horrible mileage it's not needed unless I'm doing a multiday trip far from civilization.

That being said you don't get any insta/ Overlund points for not having rotopax hanging off your vehicle at all times. So that needs to be taken into consideration too.
    98 Landcruiser - luxury offroad yacht
    07 FJ Cruiser -Built for expeditions to daycare and the mall
    11 T4R - Soccer Mom White
    92 toyota pickup - #1 choice of transportation for militants worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Get a real Jerry can (i.e. wavian) if you really need it. No worries about expansion, breakage etc. Can store them upright or on their sides. That being said I concur, unless you're doing a multiday trip in the NMW there's not much need for it. Even on my FJ with it's pathetically small gas tank and horrible mileage it's not needed unless I'm doing a multiday trip far from civilization.

That being said you don't get any insta/ Overlund points for not having rotopax hanging off your vehicle at all times. So that needs to be taken into consideration too.
    thx. planning a 5-7 day trip up there and wanting to stay our the whole time. kinda a pita planning with my 2dr jk with 2 adults+2 dogs and not spending +$1600 on racks etc for occasional use.

...regardless, i do need more bro points...
    Budget Built Rubiclone

Get one of those hitch mounted cargo trays. You really won't need the departure angle up there. And if you do just take the crap off, remove the tray, drive by where you need more departure angle, and load everything back up and continue on your merry way. Much cheaper than a rack and a bunch of other junk you'll not get your moneys worth out of.

Thumbs up

Get one of those hitch mounted cargo trays. You really won't need the departure angle up there. And if you do just take the crap off, remove the tray, drive by where you need more departure angle, and load everything back up and continue on your merry way. Much cheaper than a rack and a bunch of other junk you'll not get your moneys worth out of.
    yeah, that's pretty much where i ended up. warrior products make a hitch mount with built in 8in riser.
    Budget Built Rubiclone

I had a 10 gallon tank and did need to refuel from a Jerry can on my last ENH trip. Not all of us are blessed with better than 8 mpg. The Jerry can was older but in good shape so picked up new rubber gaskets off eBay, turned out to be not be that great a gasket. Where can I buy a "good" gasket? I was also wondering if an o-ring would work better than the flat gasket?? I have the older threaded style container.
    Custom shift knob.

by the time those metal Jerry cans need a gasket my bet is its all rust in side ...roto packs are the way to go .
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Talking

...That being said you don't get any insta/ Overlund points for not having rotopax hanging off your vehicle at all times. So that needs to be taken into consideration too.
    Haha! As most wannabees that want to look the part and then never see more than an occasional smooth dirt road.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jeep crawl View Post
    by the time those metal Jerry cans need a gasket my bet is its all rust in side ...roto packs are the way to go .
    The good metal cans last almost forever. Unless you're leaving gas in there for years at a time they really don't rust.