Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Warn M8000 not spooling out

Default Warn M8000 not spooling out

I've had this winch for years and about 8 years or so ago it would rarely spool out under power. It always winched in so that's fine, but inconvenient, for rescue.

I rang out the solenoid box and they were fine. I eventually figured out it was my controller. The plastic tab was wrong and you needed to plug it in backwards to get it to do both! Cool, problem solved.

So last year I ripped off the controller on a tree branch so I got a new one. It worked fine, both in and out and its properly keyed, you can't put it on backwards.

I remounted my winch solenoid box today and went to test it. It winches in but it doesn't winch out!--

Grrrrr.... any suggestions?
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Contact Warn? They seem to be a helpful company.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

you know, that's a great idea. I should do that!
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Is it attempting to winch and getting bound somehow, or is it not engaging electrically? If its the later, I dunno whats yp. If its the former, pull it apart, clean and regrease.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Is it attempting to winch and getting bound somehow, or is it not engaging electrically? If its the later, I dunno whats yp. If its the former, pull it apart, clean and regrease.
    I'm pretty sure it is electrical. It worked a few weeks ago.
    --

sounds like the loom might have been mis-wired. I would see if you can find a schematic and make sure its wired correctly as needing to reverse things to make them work is not normal. These are pretty simple winches inside compared to some of the new winches today. I would guess you may need to re-solder it or it might be as simple as changing pig tails from one part of the board and swapping it with another haven't been inside a m8000 but my Superwinch is a similar vintage and was very easy to work on.

good luck!
    Jeff
    2012 JKU on 35s with skids
    1997 Jeep TJ lock/lock RIP...
    1970 Jeepster Bone stock

I have an M10000, they're dirt simple. Pull the winch side connector, and arrange the terminals however they need to be. You can figure out the controller side of the connector with a multimeter. Hold the switch one way, and look for continuity between 2 pins. Hold the switch the other way, and look for continuity between 2 pins. Whichever pin you find has continuity in both positions is the power in, which should go to battery power.

There's pretty good schematics out there for these things
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

Here's an update. It works. How did I fix it? I did nothing. I was on Carnage the other day, needed to winch, hooked it up and its fine.

Of course this doesn't make me happy. My guess is that the connector on the top of the control box has some bad connections. I've rung out the solenoid box, I've replaced the controller. All's that's left are those connections.

Maybe I should just get it permanently mounted inside the cab...
    --