Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Failed Inspection for Auxiliary Lights - Questioning the spec

Default Failed Inspection for Auxiliary Lights - Questioning the spec

I took my truck to get an inspection today and it failed for "Driving Lights Mounted In The Center At/Above Headlight Height Require Covers Or Removal".

Looking at "CHAPTER Saf-C 3200 OFFICIAL MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS", I can only find the following requirements:

Saf-C 3215.05 Auxiliary Driving Lamps and Fog Lamps.
    (a) A vehicle shall be rejected if:
    (1) Equipped with more than 3 forward facing auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps;
    (2) The auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps are lower than 12 inches or higher than 42 inches above level ground, measured at lamp center; or
    (3) Off road, roof or roll bar mounted lights are not covered to prevent light beams from being thrown while operating on a way.

The center of my lights are higher than 12" and lower than 42" from the ground, so I think I should be legal without covers. I don't see anything in the regulations about the relation to headlight height. Am I looking at the wrong regulations?

lights.jpg
    [ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]

1997 LX450 Factory Locks, OME 2.5", 285/75 BFG, MetalTech Sliders, Cobra CB, Cup Holder
    1988 FJ62 - R.I.Pieces due to frame rust

They are huge, so likely they applied #3 as they look like off road lights i.e. high power

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    They are huge, so likely they applied #3 as they look like off road lights i.e. high power

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Aux driving or fog lights have to fall within a range of wattage, with offroad lights exceeding that. If theres no legal definition, then I believe its up to the discretion of the inspector.

A couple a classy Crown Royal bags over the lights should pass as covers, then remove the covers when you get home.
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

I agree with the above messages... throw something on to cover them to pass this year. Next year, try Ratchetts Offroad for your inspection. They inspect my rig and are very practical. (cool 80 by the way)
    Last edited by Lumpskie; 08-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    They are huge, so likely they applied #3 as they look like off road lights i.e. high power.
    Yep, I bet you are right. The inspector referenced the "headlight height", which I haven't found anywhere. Maybe he came from a different state or has an older revision of the regulations in his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Agreed...If theres no legal definition, then I believe its up to the discretion of the inspector.
    I could probably fight that they should be treated as "driving lights" since that's what the manufacturer calls them, but it's probably easier just to temporarily cover the and be on my way.

driving light.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    A couple a classy Crown Royal bags over the lights should pass as covers, then remove the covers when you get home.
    Chugging some Crown may give me the interest and gumption to win the "these are driving lights" fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    I agree with the above messages... throw something on to cover them to pass this year. Next year, try Ratchetts Offroad for your inspection. They inspect my rig and are very practical. (cool 80 by the way)
    Thanks for the tip. I checked out your build thread. Impressive stuff! Nice work and rig!
    [ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]

1997 LX450 Factory Locks, OME 2.5", 285/75 BFG, MetalTech Sliders, Cobra CB, Cup Holder
    1988 FJ62 - R.I.Pieces due to frame rust

I hand people duct tape and say "those lights need to be covered or it will fail".
    My Jeep screams "I used to be cool".