Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Sway Bar Inspection Requirements

Default Sway Bar Inspection Requirements

Wondering if anyone has any experience with getting the dreaded New Hampshire inspection sticker while running with the front sway bar removed on an IFS vehicle. Not sure if this is counted as not meeting 'original vehicle manufacturer's specifications'.

Asking for a friend....
    Kyle

'17 Tacoma : 3" ToyTec lift, rear remote reservoirs, 32" Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, VIAIR 450C on-board air system, custom sliders

No sway bar here and no issues ever.

I am originally from NY, so I am very happy with NH inspections.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

It does not meet the requirements as you note, it is supposed to be there. You may, or may not, get flagged for it. They were made for years without them. I removed mine once, and as soon as he put it on the lift he said "nope". YMMV
    FWIW, I put mine back on and never regretted it. JKS made it easier to deal with.

Should have noted, veh was a 2000 TJ
    Last edited by bob; 07-22-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

Not IFS, but I haven't had an issue. I have been inspected with front swaybar replaced by an Anti-rock and rear removed. Also with no swaybars installed at all.

I don't think I'd show up with one on the rig but disconnected or you'll get failed for sure.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

Frontier had it removed few yrs back. Nrver an issue during inspect. Rides better without it also
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Appreciate the feedback everyone! My ...cough cough... friend removed it a few months after swapping in the new coilovers, poor Taco rode like a tank on bricks. +1 on the better ride without...

Will see how it goes without. Not that it's ultimately that hard to take in and out, but would hate to waste the time putting it back in just to pull it out an hour later...
    Kyle

'17 Tacoma : 3" ToyTec lift, rear remote reservoirs, 32" Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, VIAIR 450C on-board air system, custom sliders

IFS here with no sway bar installed. Never had an issue.
    Skids/Armor/XD9000i/4.56 Locked Rear
    Sway Away Coilovers/ 33x10.5 KM2/ Bobbed bed

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Like others have wrote, you might not get caught, but it is obviously required by the law.
    And if you are involved in an automobile accident, even if it was not your fault, with no swaybar is found on your truck, you will be held liable for ALL of the damages on scene, including personal injuries, plus fines. Good luck ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Like others have wrote, you might not get caught, but it is obviously required by the law.
    And if you are involved in an automobile accident, even if it was not your fault, with no swaybar is found on your truck, you will be held liable for ALL of the damages on scene, including personal injuries, plus fines. Good luck ;)
    I mean, according to NH inspection guidelines, suspension is supposed to be completely unmodified factory design. Theoretically you could be sued for using Moog ball joints instead of Mopar by that logic. Where does it stop?

CYA has to have a limit at some point. You're not willfully endangering the lives of the motoring public or being grossly negligent by removing one of two anti-roll bars from a pickup truck any more than by putting a 1" coil spacer in your Jeep or a "leveling kit" in your diesel pickup; even though technically all are "illegal" by the letter of the law.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Source?

My sister is an auto claims adjuster, and I've never heard of anything like this. Even if it is correct, your insurance will still cover the damages.
    2015 JKURHR 6MT - Rancho 4" Crawler short-arm w/RS9000XLs, Yokohama G003 35s, 4.56s, Quadratec AL skidplates, Smittybilt X2O 10k

I am curious about this too. I'm with progressive and their is a clause in my policy about lift kits and altering the suspension. I do plan on installing a lift kit. Wondering if I can just make a change in my policy or an I going to have to switch insurance companies.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
    I am curious about this too. I'm with progressive and their is a clause in my policy about lift kits and altering the suspension. I do plan on installing a lift kit. Wondering if I can just make a change in my policy or an I going to have to switch insurance companies.
    Geico cancelled my years ago because it my rig was lifted. So, of course, I cancelled my other car and renters insurance on them.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Exclamation Just because 1 person never heard of it, does not make it so

Quote Originally Posted by Flash! View Post
    Source?

My sister is an auto claims adjuster, and I've never heard of anything like this. Even if it is correct, your insurance will still cover the damages.
    First hand, plus others I knew have had the same thing happened to them. Wish it didn't, trust me. Guy t-boned me personally, insurance did not pay because of this, I had to pay for EVERYTHING. So yes you better believe it can happen, thus be safe out there just in case. Too many insurance companies looking for any reason to take and keep/not give your money back to you. Then there are also way too many lawyers happily taking your hard earned cash away from you as well :(

I wish you better luck than I had if you take the "illegal" route, and then some idiot hits you. None of those drivers out there, right?....
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)