Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets talk all terrain vehicle

Default lets talk all terrain vehicle

$5000 initial investment, what vehicle would you pick and why?

jack of all trades per say. should be able to run trails, overland, high speed logging rds and obv pavement.
    11 ram 2500 cummins white. 6" bds lift and 37" nitto trail grapplers on xd hoss wheels.

Can that be a down payment?

I’d buy a can am maverick x3 turbo.

I have a Polaris sportsman 570 eps. Whatever you do, try and spring for the power steering if you get a four wheeler you won’t regret it!
    It's all gone.

I second the power steering recommendation. Worth it if you want to ride trails all day.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun, I'll play.

'99-'04 WJ with a 4.0

There's eight of them on Craigslist within 25 miles of me, some for under $1,000, leaving plenty of $ for mods.

I like the platform, I had a '01 and loved it; nice on the highway, comfortable, and as some of our members here have show they are seriously wheelable with few mods.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

$5000 to play with? I'd buy 10 Jeep XJs

EDIT: Scratch that, 10 early 2000s Chevy truck. They'll be good at what you want to do at least once, and when you're done, pull the motors and triple your money
    Last edited by farmer; 07-10-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

Easiest vehicle is going to be XJ. Cheap purchaseprice and parts are everywhere.

I personally am a gluten for pain and choose vehicles that no one makes aftermarket parts for (or extremely high priced, IMO) and have to build my own stuff.
    P.s. Don't buy an Xterra if you want solid axles

But seriously
    XJ or any jeep you can get your hands on that will also leave money in the bank for repairs or extra mods

This is coming from a guy who doesn't like Jeeps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I already have a wildcat xx lol. I cant run it down the rd or on most logging rds.

I think some of you took the all terrain vehicle as me wanting an atv or utv. I guess I should have specified.
    11 ram 2500 cummins white. 6" bds lift and 37" nitto trail grapplers on xd hoss wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaton View Post
    I already have a wildcat xx lol. I cant run it down the rd or on most logging rds.
    You sure? In NH you can get a UTV registered with blinkers and a windshield. For much less than 5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with an XJ. Wait, I did, lol.

They're plentiful, parts everywhere, capable even stock and have almost limitless build options.

I'm looking to get a second one.
    Jason

'95 Cherokee - "in progress"

'06 Jeep Liberty - Sold to Chance

Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    You sure? In NH you can get a UTV registered with blinkers and a windshield. For much less than 5k.

You could, then you couldn't, then people found loopholes, IDK where it stands now but its not clear cut, and really depends on where you go to register it.
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

i don't live in nh so street reg a utv is out for me. most of the loop holes are agg plates or something similar.

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Are you looking for something stock that you build or something that has work done? Daily driver or weekend rig?

I know a guy that could be in the market of selling an 04 WJ soon (...me). Already setup for wheeling, goes overlanding a lot, very capable off-road, extremely comfortable, lots of mods. I haven't completely made my mind up on selling, but its one of the best all around vehicles in my opinion, end of the straight axle grands, its the Overland model with all the creature comforts, I've done all the little mods. Could use a few things, not perfect, but a good platform. Has the 4.7HO motor, lots of power, headgaskets were done. Ive daily driven it the past 4+ years but looking to get a different DD and may start a new build. PM me if you may have any interest.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04’ WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3” OME Lift, 1” Spacers, 32” Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    Are you looking for something stock that you build or something that has work done? Daily driver or weekend rig?

I know a guy that could be in the market of selling an 04 WJ soon (...me). Already setup for wheeling, goes overlanding a lot, very capable off-road, extremely comfortable, lots of mods. I haven't completely made my mind up on selling, but its one of the best all around vehicles in my opinion, end of the straight axle grands, its the Overland model with all the creature comforts, I've done all the little mods. Could use a few things, not perfect, but a good platform. Has the 4.7HO motor, lots of power, headgaskets were done. Ive daily driven it the past 4+ years but looking to get a different DD and may start a new build. PM me if you may have any interest.

Whoa! I can't believe that you are considering selling your WJ. That's one of the most unique and cool builds I've seen. It just seems to do everything well.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    Whoa! I can't believe that you are considering selling your WJ. That's one of the most unique and cool builds I've seen. It just seems to do everything well.
    I think I've been considering for a while just enjoy it too much when I'm out to want to sell it LOL. And I still said I wasn't sure! I commute to work and I really just don't want to DD it anymore, I think that's part of my loss of Interest. I am shopping for a new DD, after I get one that may change my urge to sell. Hard part about selling a vehicle like this anyways which you know is all the time and money that has gone into it, you can never get out of it what you put in.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04’ WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3” OME Lift, 1” Spacers, 32” Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

this would be a weekend rig. i drive alot ofr work so i have an altima i drive daily. i'm not ready to buy yet, just planning. i can see my time with snowmobiling and the sxs's cominbg to an end in pittsburg due to all the old crusty locals. if thats the case i will build on the land we have in maine and will be looking for a rig there. after this weekend i'm kinda leaning towards something like a TJ that i can remove the top on. i never thought i would like that but my buddy has one and no top cruing to and from the marina was kinda nice. but again, i'm planning, i tend to plan alot with this kind of stuff. the wheels get spinning.