Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Inexpensive Diff puller?

Default Inexpensive Diff puller?

Anyone know where I can buy or rent a diff puller to replace front axle seals on a Wrangler?

Or maybe even a shop that does it cheap.

Much appreciated!

Autozone, Oreilly's and I think others do 'loaner tools' - basically you put a deposit for the price of the tool, use it and return it and get your deposit back (or keep it if you like). Have you looked at these already?
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

No luck with them, I guess it's not a common enough tool, I did contact route 4 auto sales and they gave me a great estimate so I'm gonna have them do it, thanks!

My local advanced auto and autozone do not rent case spreaders. Iíve removed a number of gear sets and use 2 pry bars and a piece of rubber to protect the case machined surface. That technique is used on older axles, or larger axles, the newer D30 I have removed by hand.

Just put a rag between the pinion and ring and spin the ring. It will pop right out. You can get it back in if you're careful... a case spreader is normally just a time saver, not a requirement.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Posimoto View Post
    My local advanced auto and autozone do not rent case spreaders. Iíve removed a number of gear sets and use 2 pry bars and a piece of rubber to protect the case machined surface. That technique is used on older axles, or larger axles, the newer D30 I have removed by hand.
    Yup a pry bar and a block of wood is all i use. The more miles the easier it will be. Dont think you will ever find a case spreader for rent from a store. Thats a tool that can damage axles if one is not careful.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    Just put a rag between the pinion and ring and spin the ring. It will pop right out. You can get it back in if you're careful... a case spreader is normally just a time saver, not a requirement.
    I'm with this guy. Rag to get them out, dead blow hammer to get them back in.

Case spreaders are for the 1%. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

This was also my go to method till I had a rag lock up a diff so bad one time years ago. When the rag got into the tooth mesh and started to push the carrier out it cocked sideways just a little bit and jammed itself. I had to really beat it back in to seat it and start over with another method. This axle had really low miles like 40-50k so that was not helping.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Pry out/dead blow in has been my method in the past, but as Jared stated...spreaders do seem nice to have, if you do that sort of thing a lot.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

The only time I use a spreader are when I'm seating ARB's and don't want to hose the copper tube.

x6 on the block of wood/rag, and deadblow for re-install.