Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: First Wrangler Build Ď08 JKU Sahara

Default First Wrangler Build Ď08 JKU Sahara

Excited to start building out my first rig I figured Iíd start some documentation on the process. Got it about a month ago and itís all stock right now, the only stuff Iíve replaced so far is some aesthetic stuff (slush mats, radio, grab handles, etc). First thing Iím looking at doing is putting on the Metalcloak skid plates to protect myself from some major damage...

This is my wishlist right now, looking for some recommendations on a rear bumper because the ones Iíve looked at I havenít been a huge fan of.
    Suspension/Armor (In order of priority)
    1: Metalcloak Skid Plates: $1499
    2: Rock Hard D44 Skid: $75
    3: Rock Hard D30 Skid: $70
    4: Rocker Sliders: $280
    5: AEV 2.5Ē Lift : $1000

Bumper/Winch
    1: ARB Front Bumper: $969
    2: Warn M800-S: $860

Recovery Gear/Air Equip
    1: 48Ē Hi Lift Jack: $80
    2: ARB Dual Compressor $670
    3: Metalcloak Dual Compressor Mount: $54
    4: Maxtraxx: $335
    5: Snatch block: $64
    6: ARB Tree Saver : $42

Rear Locker:
    1: ARB Air Locker : $990

Roof Rack:
    1: Rhino Rack Backbone Quick Release : $1458
    2: CVT Roof Top Tent : $1175

Diff skids can hinder you on the trails. They act like a shovel. You might want to do some more research on those before buying. As far as sliders go what are you looking at? $280 sounds more like the steps that easily get torn off. My factory rubicon rails worked well for a while, but were starting to stress the body on the harder terrain. I love my whiteknuckle frame mounted sliders. Strong, good looking and they clean up nicely after a trail ride.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    Diff skids can hinder you on the trails. They act like a shovel. You might want to do some more research on those before buying. As far as sliders go what are you looking at? $280 sounds more like the steps that easily get torn off. My factory rubicon rails worked well for a while, but were starting to stress the body on the harder terrain. I love my whiteknuckle frame mounted sliders. Strong, good looking and they clean up nicely after a trail ride.
    These are the ones I had on my list, they happened to be the same ones on the list on the ENH site for the recommended JK Overland rig. Thanks for the note on the Diff Skids, Iíll definitely do some more reading up on it.

So those are more of a step for aesthetics and will get crushed. Overlanding is different than off roading. Overlanding is covering ground and camping where as off roading is more obstacle to obstacle, getting stuck, hitting rocks and so forth. Your build should reflect the style you are trying to accomplish. If you aren't planning on doing anything more than stock I would say these will work, if you are planning to go bigger and take on some bigger challenges, spend a little more and get yourself a nice set of frame mounted sliders.

Also, thanks for pointing that out. I have to update those pages anyway. They are a little out dated.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    So those are more of a step for aesthetics and will get crushed. Overlanding is different than off roading. Overlanding is covering ground and camping where as off roading is more obstacle to obstacle, getting stuck, hitting rocks and so forth. Your build should reflect the style you are trying to accomplish. If you aren't planning on doing anything more than stock I would say these will work, if you are planning to go bigger and take on some bigger challenges, spend a little more and get yourself a nice set of frame mounted sliders.

Also, thanks for pointing that out. I have to update those pages anyway. They are a little out dated.
    Iíd definitely like to get more into off roading, maybe Iíll just hold off on the sliders until I get beyond stock runs.

Another vote for avoiding diff sliders. I would strongly suggest cast iron diff covers (not stamped sheet metal as the stock ones are or aluminum). The diff housing itself is plenty strong and you don't need to protect it - but the stock covers are quite weak.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Just ordered the rock hard skids, should be able to get them on before the stock run on the 29th.