Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skid plates for JKU

Default Skid plates for JKU

What does everyone use for skid plates? I've been looking at metalcloaks system which looks pretty solid. Trying to find a place that has a package so I don't have to piece together parts.

Artec is my favorite, but is not the cheapest.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

I use RockHard 4x4 - oil pan, transfer case, fuel tank and rear bumper. Things I should have done: front bumper from them as well, put the skids on before I bashed up the stock stuff. Note that the RockHard oil pan skid takes some coercion to install. Also note - when I had a mechanic replace the throw out bearing, they cursed me for the difficulty of getting the skids off and back on again.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    I use RockHard 4x4 - oil pan, transfer case, fuel tank and rear bumper. Things I should have done: front bumper from them as well, put the skids on before I bashed up the stock stuff. Note that the RockHard oil pan skid takes some coercion to install. Also note - when I had a mechanic replace the throw out bearing, they cursed me for the difficulty of getting the skids off and back on again.
    That was more a symptom of you smashing them off rocks, not the brand Rock Hard makes nice stuff also, but any skid plate will bend if you hit them hard enough.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

Stay away from JCR. I bent one of their skids and it crushed my tranny pan. I contacted them and they claimed it did itís job. I said I would agree if my tranny pan wasnít crushed and they said sorry. In my opinion the skid plate should take the hit. I get that itís metal and metal bends but enough to damage vital components. I removed it, had the pan replaced and had the skid trussed for strength. Next time I need skids Iíll probably go back to rockhard.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Metalcloak before and after photos:

____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_). BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle

And here's a shot of my EVO control arm armor and my second diff cover. Learned that you can't skimp on that one. Nothing worse than discovering a leaky diff on the first day of a 3-day trail adventure.

____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
    Metalcloak before and after photos:

Looks like you used them pretty well. How long have you had them?

Quote Originally Posted by mlyonsden View Post
    Looks like you used them pretty well. How long have you had them?
    Installed them in May 2017. They help offset my poor driving skills on severe terrain.
    ____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    That was more a symptom of you smashing them off rocks, not the brand Rock Hard makes nice stuff also, but any skid plate will bend if you hit them hard enough.
    Well - I won't deny that. They have continued to protect the tender bits - and have gotten more than a little more bent since you last worked on them.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 'Wheezy Chicken' - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

I will up-vote Rockhard and ironically when my cluctch went my mechanic cursed them on reinstall too. Also if you have not replaced the factory cross member this is a good time to do it while everything is off. I replaced my stock mashed cross member with Clayton's and its held up well but only has 3 holes for across it instead of 4. Given the beating that they have taken at Rausch and elsewhere they have held up well.
    Jeff
    2012 JKU on 35s with skids
    1997 Jeep TJ lock/lock RIP...
    1970 Jeepster Bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    Well, Tundra isn't shy about testing the limit of the equipment.

Before the lift, and before taller tires, we called Wheezy Chicken the "Grader". Not surprised the skids are a little "tweaked".
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

I have Rock Hard skids. I now have the gas tank skid, but prior to it I ran the stock one for quite a long time. I decided to add the Rock Hard gas tank skid after the 2nd time dropping the stock skid to bang out the dents. The Rock Hard skids take a beating. The gas tank skid shows some scrapes but no dents and it has been hit plenty. My oil pan/transmission skid did bend on a good whack in front of the crossmember, so it does cause a little rattle on the exhaust loop. Luckily it is steel so I'll drop it soon and bang it out. I've dropped the oil pan skid multiple times (I remove it when bringing jeep in for work) and I don't think it is that bad to get back into place, but I do use a floor jack.

Has anybody had the ARB Skid plates or have any opinion on them?

I use the EVO Manufacturing skid system and am very happy with it. Protects the oil pan to the cross member and exhaust pipes upfront. The kit is on the lighter side of other steel offerings and easy to install/uninstall as needed with direct access to the oil drain plug for changes. I did have to do some mods to the crossmember/exhaust skid due to my exhaust spacers but I got it all to work.

I also swapped out the diffs with Poison Spyder bombshell covers and a cheap rough country evap canister skid for extra protection.

Skids were the first mod I did. I would rather pay for extra steel than expensive parts or a bad day getting towed off the trail.

I will say, that Metal Cloak system looks awesome.