Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharp Pointy Things

I've read a bit today and one thing to think about is the type of kayaking you do. Glenn used to do whitewater. In that case immediate access to your knife is crucial, it could be a life/death situation. Sea kayaking, where I'm heading, is different. It is hard to imagine a situation where a immediate access to a knife is crucial. On the other hand, immediate access to flares, EPIRB etc could be far more important. Right now I'm not doing that type of kayaking but I might want to someday.

I only thought of this because last night we came across a loon that appeared to be entangled. He wasn't, but if he was what could I do without a knife. Then that got me thinking of the times we've tied up for lunch, or towed a friend. Sea kayaking is way different, and has different emergency needs, than white water.

BTW, this the new ride...

--
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Iíve had a lot of knives from cheap to spending hundreds...I currently carry one of two benchmarks (manual and auto open) or a regular Milwaukee razor knife...in all honesty my favorite knife Iíve had ever was a spyderco, I forget the model! But brick **** house durable, thin profile and the finish held up through thick and thin... that knife slid out of my flight suit and ended up on a range in Kuwait years ago. Iíll pick up another at some point itís just hard to justify given the knives on hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07JKU..always a project...synergy and jks providing most to it so far...

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Cool:
    Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    My advice...
    Don't buy a China made knife
    USA and Japanese stainless steel blades are better options
    Buy a name brand
    Buy it from a place that stands behind their products
    Make sure you find it comfortable in your hand
    Serrated is only good for sawing in my opinion
    Everything else I was going to write has been already stated previously in this thread

So many good choices out there, so you will eventually find the "one" for you ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    My kayak "emergency" knife is a
    Wenoka "Blackie Collins" signed diver's knife, 440 stainless made in Japan.

...fixed blade so no fiddling around to open, super sharp edge and point, and a hard sheath.
    It's not so much a double edge as one thinks of it, many diver's knives have a serrated section so there's two working edges, mainly to allow quick operation when necessary. Bright colors help to find it if it gets dropped in the water too. The chrome button locks it in to the hard sheath so it's a one handed operation. Some folks, especially raft guides, like the blunt point of a Gerber River Shorty, still a sharp end but not a point.

Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411