Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent axle?

Default Bent axle?

It was noticed this weekend that Agnes' driver side rear tire has a wobble to it. The 2 primary reasons for this would be a bent axle or a tire that has failed. I jacked her up today and videoed the rear tires wobbling and also the rotors not wobbling. Now the rotor has a really small diameter compared to the tire so the wobble could be there and I'm just not seeing it. Tundra has offered me his dial indicator but its in Hopkinton and sadly Agnes may also have a bad throwout bearing and I'm not sure I want to drive that far.

And yes, I guess I could have bent wheels also. Here's the video, what do you all think?

--
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Swap a front wheel or a spare wheel and run it again, Id guess bent wheel before axle. Ive bent axles but the wheel bent along with it.
    98 Chevy 2500
    pro rok 60 front, rcv shafts, arb, ORD steering, 4.56
    14bff, arb, disc brakes, 4.56
    VIAIR system, 37 BFG KM 2's

Not sure if it was the rotor moving or the camera. (For the future) you could use a tripod to steady your hands/phone on to remove some of the movement.
    As to identify the wobble, I'd try making a home-made indicator with a coat-hanger and fasten it to something not moving, like a shock mount, or a spring u-bolt (if there's enough exposed thread and you have a nut that fits it) or something of the like.
    I've had tires before that looked like they wobbled but the rim was dead straight, it was either an optical thing or something with the rubber, but didn't cause an out-of-balance issue.
    Throwout bearing can be fixed with a torque convertor.

lol

does it FEEL like theres a wobble down the street? Or is there too much "jeep noises/quirks" to feel a slight wobble?
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
    Swap a front wheel or a spare wheel and run it again, Id guess bent wheel before axle. Ive bent axles but the wheel bent along with it.
    Yeah, I probably should, but with both side showing the wobble at the tire I would think that that would show something. I'm just not sure what!
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    Not sure if it was the rotor moving or the camera. (For the future) you could use a tripod to steady your hands/phone on to remove some of the movement.
    As to identify the wobble, I'd try making a home-made indicator with a coat-hanger and fasten it to something not moving, like a shock mount, or a spring u-bolt (if there's enough exposed thread and you have a nut that fits it) or something of the like.
    I've had tires before that looked like they wobbled but the rim was dead straight, it was either an optical thing or something with the rubber, but didn't cause an out-of-balance issue.
    Throwout bearing can be fixed with a torque convertor.

lol

does it FEEL like theres a wobble down the street? Or is there too much "jeep noises/quirks" to feel a slight wobble?
    I should have used a tripod, next time!

The coat hanger indicator is a great idea. I can maybe get to that Wednesday. However, I have an upcoming trip and the throwout bearing may be more important.

It is really hard to tell if Agnes' has a wobble that would be caused by the tire or just caused by Agnes! But, she does feel pretty straight, so that's good.
    --

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    ...Throwout bearing can be fixed with a torque convertor.lol...
    Ha, you mean ruin it ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Paul
    Just went through this myself I pulled the axle in question took less than an hour put a level on flange and shaft. It was slightly off was still running stock shafts so upgraded both. No more wobble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2005 LJ Rubicon Metal Cloak GC fully adjustable 3.5" SA with MC Track Bars OME Shocks/Stabilizer, 1" Alum BL, 1" MML, JCR 1 Ton Steering, Savvy T Case Cable Shifter, Currie Anti Rock, UC Fab LoPro Skid Plates, TW Driveshafts F/R, US Alloy Axle Shafts Front Revolution Gears rear axle shafts, MC F/R Fenders, MC Sliders, JCR Stubby Mauler Bumper MC rear w/tire carrier, Superwinch 9.5 Synthetic Line. Revolution Gears 5.38 35" Goodyear MTR's Pro Comp Steel Wheels, Mastercraft Seats

Quote Originally Posted by LJ Rubicon View Post
    Paul
    Just went through this myself I pulled the axle in question took less than an hour put a level on flange and shaft. It was slightly off was still running stock shafts so upgraded both. No more wobble.
    I think I might be an idiot. When an axle bends are we talking about the shafts or the tube containing the shafts? I was thinking the tube but reading your comment makes me think we're talking about the shafts.

I have chromos up front but I'll bet I have the stock Ford 8.8 shafts in the rear. Shafts that certainly led a hard wheeling life before they arrived in my hands.

I do think the homemade dial indicator is called for first, less work.
    --

I thought the same thing originally bent housing but after some checking I found the housing was fine then moved on to the shafts which it ultimately ended up being. Makes sense to check housing first. Just wanted to give you some thoughts on other things it may be. Good luck.

2005 LJ Rubicon Metal Cloak GC fully adjustable 3.5" SA with MC Track Bars OME Shocks/Stabilizer, 1" Alum BL, 1" MML, JCR 1 Ton Steering, Savvy T Case Cable Shifter, Currie Anti Rock, UC Fab LoPro Skid Plates, TW Driveshafts F/R, US Alloy Axle Shafts Front Revolution Gears rear axle shafts, MC F/R Fenders, MC Sliders, JCR Stubby Mauler Bumper MC rear w/tire carrier, Superwinch 9.5 Synthetic Line. Revolution Gears 5.38 35" Goodyear MTR's Pro Comp Steel Wheels, Mastercraft Seats

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    I think I might be an idiot. When an axle bends are we talking about the shafts or the tube containing the shafts? I was thinking the tube but reading your comment makes me think we're talking about the shafts.

I have chromos up front but I'll bet I have the stock Ford 8.8 shafts in the rear. Shafts that certainly led a hard wheeling life before they arrived in my hands.

I do think the homemade dial indicator is called for first, less work.
    Its the shaft we're talking about. If you bend the housing(tube) you've REALLY bent stuff and could see it with a straightedge across the tube. Didnt realize you didnt realize
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

I have a dial indicator and mag base not far from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyjim509 View Post
    I have a dial indicator and mag base not far from you.
    Hey, that's awesome. I'll certainly be in touch, driving to Walpole is probably easier than fabbing something up. Thanks!
    --

Hows the wheel feel when you spin it? Any slop like the outer wheel bearing is going?
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Hows the wheel feel when you spin it? Any slop like the outer wheel bearing is going?
    Its the rear axle.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    Its the rear axle.
    I'm aware. You do know both axles have bearings, right?
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project