Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Hello! New here, have a 2019 Forester Sport with xmode and want to test it some :)

Red face Hello! New here, have a 2019 Forester Sport with xmode and want to test it some :)

Hi all

I have done some light offroading in the past with a 2010 Nissan Frontier, and with another Forester that I had. I currently have a 2019 Forester with dual X-Mode. I want to test it a bit, and have very little knowledge of good trails. I have done one up in Warren, NH, and that was fun. So, looking for suggestions :) Thanks in advance!

welcome to exploringnh ,you have found a great site with like minded folks

they will have all levels at the anniversary event,hope you can make it.
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Hello and welcome!
    Not familiar with the dual x-mode.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Welcome to ENH!

We bought my wife a 2015 Forester XT recently with the X-Mode. It is no replacement for a true 4wd system with low range, so it would not pass our standards for even a stock level Class 6 run. Without sufficient ground clearance, rock protection, and 4wd, it would not make it through most of the Class 6 roads (aka trails) that we traverse in our stock groups, at least without some potential damage. Plenty of times even a stock Jeep Wrangler will need a tug from a tow strap if the vehicle gets hung up on a rock.

We do however have others such as yourself interested in creating a new style of off-pavement event for subys and similar non-4wd vehicles, we just need to carefully select which roads we use that this style of vehicle can handle. See this thread here from end of last year: https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...cle-offroaders . However I would not compare a stock Cherokee or Ford Ranger with true 4WD to an AWD Subaru. Speaking from experience.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jeepin; 05-13-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    Welcome to ENH!

We bought my wife a 2015 Forester XT recently with the X-Mode. It is no replacement for a true 4wd system with low range, so it would not pass our standards for even a stock level Class 6 run. Without sufficient ground clearance, rock protection, and 4wd, it would not make it through most of the Class 6 roads (aka trails) that we traverse in our stock groups, at least without some potential damage. Plenty of times even a stock Jeep Wrangler will need a tug from a tow strap if the vehicle gets hung up on a rock.

We do however have others such as yourself interested in creating a new style of off-pavement event for subys and similar non-4wd vehicles, we just need to carefully select which roads we use that this style of vehicle can handle. See this thread here from end of last year: https://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...cle-offroaders . However I would not compare a stock Cherokee or Ford Ranger with true 4WD to an AWD Subaru. Speaking from experience.

Thanks.
    While I agree with it not helping in the low range and undercarriage protection, the dual function x mode is a step up from the basic x mode, and seems to be only available on the Forester as of 2019. It sounds pretty cool, sort of offering BLD type traction control and also hill descent. They have to be getting closer to finally adding a low range, and likely the Forester will be the first to get that too
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    While I agree with it not helping in the low range and undercarriage protection, the dual function x mode is a step up from the basic x mode, and seems to be only available on the Forester as of 2019. It sounds pretty cool, sort of offering BLD type traction control and also hill descent. They have to be getting closer to finally adding a low range, and likely the Forester will be the first to get that too
    Interesting Bob, definitely sounds like a cool upgrade, I agree the Dual design sounds more like a Jeep BLD type system in the way it gains traction. The other part I forgot to mention would be lack of articulation for off-camber situations, most of these intelligent systems require more throttle to engage properly, which increases the possibility of damage, but I would be curious to see what type of terrain a Subaru with X-Mode or the new Dual X-Mode could make it through. I know my wife won't be offering hers as the guinea pig, so I will have to sit back and watch others ;)
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

The Dual X-Mode will be available on the 2020 Outback, but only if you get the Onyx edition.

It is a real upgrade, yeah.

And no worries about the throttle, your foot pretty much don't control it, the computers do. Mash it to the floor if you want, it won't change anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4WLc2V-LM
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor