Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deeper down the Rabbit hole with emptier pockets

Quote Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
    You need to be prepared for the fact that you rims will probably get scratched going off road. It all depends on how difficult the trails are. Now that you have a lift and 35s your rig is capable of doing some pretty impressive looking trails, and those parts that make them impressive looking are made of granite, hard scratchy granite.

I remember some advice I read when I go my first jeep. I got it as a beach jeep, sand, waves, top down doors off. That sort of thing. But I somehow heard of rock crawling and started googling. I came across a page like "introduction to rock crawling" or something like that. I only remember one distinct thing from that page, and it went something like this:
    Are you worried about a rock scratching or denting your jeep? Go out side right now, find a rock and throw it at you Jeep. Now it is scratched and dented. And you can stop worrying.
    Lol oh ya Iím completely prepared. Just would hate to have the tire shop gauge the lip or scratch them pretty good for no reason at all. At least if Iím off-roading itís well worth it lol

Throw a rock at it 🤣

Luckily Metal Cloak didnít ship my order yet and I was able to change to a 3.5Ē lift instead of the 4.5Ē. Definitely happy I did that. The guy goes ďat least you took the opportunity with the free shipping promo. Most guys call us days after wanting the promo lol.Ē

Default Swapping TPMS

So I'm swapping the OEM TPMS Sensors over to the new wheels. The backspacing on the stock rims is an issue with the rear sway bar links from the Metalcloak Lift. I could drop the Jeep off with the new tires and wheels to get mounted but they'd have to take the TPMS out of the stock wheels on there now. The place I'm going to is maybe 10 minutes away from my Moms. Elias Jeep in Townsend MA. Never even knew they existed until last week

Instead of dropping the Jeep off and having them do more work than needed, would it be possible to not install the sway bar links in the rear, zip tie or secure the sway bar somehow, drive the Jeep with the stock wheels with the trailer loaded up, take it easy on the way over and have them do the tire work then? or would that be too sketchy?

Any other ideas? Or do I just need to bite the bullet, have them mount and balance everything and put the stock wheels back on with no TPMS until I do the lift. Probably Memorial Day Weekend.

1) Are you planning to sell the OEM wheels and tires? If so, you may want to keep the TPMS sensor installed. You would just need to buy aftermarket sensors.
    2) Is Elias charging you to dismount/mount the stock tires to remove the OEM TPMS sensor and then charging to install sensor and mount new tires and wheels? Is it cheaper to buy new aftermarket TPMS sensors and have those installed on new wheels and tires? When I paid Town Fair to mount my new wheels and tires I purchased their aftermarket TPMS sensors for about the cost of 1 or 2 OEM TPMS sensors. Haven't had an issue with them in the last two years.

I can't answer if it is safe for you to remove the rear sway bar links or not. I understand there are folks who run without them. I'd be concerned about towing a trailer with load.

Quote Originally Posted by Yipjeep View Post
    1) Are you planning to sell the OEM wheels and tires? If so, you may want to keep the TPMS sensor installed. You would just need to buy aftermarket sensors.
    2) Is Elias charging you to dismount/mount the stock tires to remove the OEM TPMS sensor and then charging to install sensor and mount new tires and wheels? Is it cheaper to buy new aftermarket TPMS sensors and have those installed on new wheels and tires? When I paid Town Fair to mount my new wheels and tires I purchased their aftermarket TPMS sensors for about the cost of 1 or 2 OEM TPMS sensors. Haven't had an issue with them in the last two years.

I can't answer if it is safe for you to remove the rear sway bar links or not. I understand there are folks who run without them. I'd be concerned about towing a trailer with load.
    I'm planning on keeping the OEM wheels and tires. They told me it would be about $45 per tire to mount and balance. so $225 total. He told me they wouldn't be fully dismounting the tires but he gave me an estimate at about 3 hours work instead of charging me per tire. They were charging $45 per TPMS sensor if I bought them through them.

Do you mind me asking how much they charged per tire to do them? If I could go down that route and not spend $300, I'll gladly buy aftermarket ones and go through Town Fair. The only thing that worries me is "Town Scare Tire" stories I've heard.
    +
    Last edited by dun_right; 05-15-2019 at 12:22 PM.

I found a number of places refused to install TPMS sensors that I provided (even though they would be installing non-OEM TPMS sensors) and I also found a lot of misunderstanding about installing/programming them from tire shop staff. I believe I even got 'yeah we will install them' over the phone and when I showed up it was 'no, we have a policy against installing any TPMS that we didn't provide'. So don't be surprised if you hit those kinds of hassles. I did get my non-OEM ones to work fine, eventually.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    I found a number of places refused to install TPMS sensors that I provided (even though they would be installing non-OEM TPMS sensors) and I also found a lot of misunderstanding about installing/programming them from tire shop staff. I believe I even got 'yeah we will install them' over the phone and when I showed up it was 'no, we have a policy against installing any TPMS that we didn't provide'. So don't be surprised if you hit those kinds of hassles. I did get my non-OEM ones to work fine, eventually.
    That's true. I'll call up and double check before I make an appointment and load up the trailer. Thanks!