Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Welding Noooooob

Default Welding Noooooob

Howdy ya'll,

I have been trying my hand at flux-core welding. Could you cats take a look at these beads and tell me how they suck and how I can fix the suck? I am flying blind with youtube here, so any help would be appreciated.

Another problem I am having is eye fatigue. I have a good helmet, its set on 11 and I wear safety glasses too. Even with all of this my eyes get tired fast and ache.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

Not bad for your first welds. Too cold and too fast. Mainly too fast. Slow down till the bead flattens out more. Push the arc slightly ahead of your direction of travel.

You should really get setup for mixed gas, it will help you exponentially.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    Not bad for your first welds. Too cold and too fast. Mainly too fast. Slow down till the bead flattens out more. Push the arc slightly ahead of your direction of travel.
    You should really get setup for mixed gas, it will help you exponentially.
    Too fast, really?!?!? It felt like I was going slow as hell. I see what you mean about needing to flatten it out more. I am going with gas next week I hope.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by ecgreen; 04-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

I think so.... its kinda tough to tell with all the flux everywhere If you feel like you're already going slow enough then try turning the wire speed down a little.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

I think so.... its kinda tough to tell with all the flux everywhere If you feel like you're already going slow enough then try turning the wire speed down a little.
    No I think your right. Today I was really trying to watch the pool of metal and the slag. I could see it widening out. I'll try slowing down even more and see whats up.

And slag...good God! I see why ppl shun the flux

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

I was going to say wire speed as well, but agreed that they are not too bad...unless you were going for better looks :p
    Wish I had gas as well...the welding kind ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Get an auto dark helmet and good grinder. My welding sucks but the helmet makes it easier, and the grinder makes it look better

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ferball View Post
    Get an auto dark helmet and good grinder. My welding sucks but the helmet makes it easier, and the grinder makes it look better

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk
    His helmet might be the reason his eyes are bothering him. Make sure that it is fast enough though.

They say that you need to be be a good grinder...if you are not a good welder, haha! :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    His helmet might be the reason his eyes are bothering him. Make sure that it is fast enough though.
    They say that you need to be be a good grinder...if you are not a good welder, haha! :)
    I bought the most expensive hobart helmet they make. I realize that this isn't the best in the world, but should be sufficient. I really think my eye issue is the flux core smoke. My eyes just ache and get really dry. There is no evidence of arc flash burn. I guess when I move to gas that will be the test.

And I have my grinder at the ready!

I used flux core for about 30 minutes before I was on Amazon ordering a regulator and calling ArcSource for a gas bottle. You won't be sorry.

If the timing works out, I was considering going up from 60CF to an 80CF bottle next time I run out, so I'd sell you my 60 cheap. Like half of whatever the new bottle is gonna cost me, something like that. In fairness, that may not be for awhile. I filled the 60 a month or so ago and all my big welding projects are done until probably next off-season.

But yeah, flux core stinks. I've heard that Lincoln makes the best flux wire, but I have no firsthand experience with it.

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    I bought the most expensive hobart helmet they make. I realize that this isn't the best in the world, but should be sufficient. I really think my eye issue is the flux core smoke. My eyes just ache and get really dry. There is no evidence of arc flash burn. I guess when I move to gas that will be the test.

And I have my grinder at the ready!
    granted soldering and welding is miles apart, but back when I was doing Serious soldering for work, if I didn't have a vent hood running or a small fan for ventilation I'd get the eye burn, sore throat, and sounding like Wolfman Jack for a few hours...

Make sure you have good ventilation.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

flux core is not great to use unless you really need to. its perfect for windy out door welding but gas is nicer. wire speed is a little high and if you are not then try pushing not pulling.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    ...But yeah, flux core stinks. I've heard that Lincoln makes the best flux wire, but I have no firsthand experience with it.Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk
    I use it(Lincoln) with great results [for flux core]. I have tried cheaper wire, like when welding stainless and it just simply sucks!

The advice above about slowing down and higher heat is good. As for flux vs gas, obviously gas is better...but you can get good results with flux if you are patient and don't expect perfection. I was discouraged when I got my first gasless wire feed, until I talked to the owner of the local welding shop. He didn't cut down flux core and try to sell me new equipment, he helped me weld better and make good use of what I had. I did a lot of welding with that welder for a couple years before upgrading to a Lincoln Sp175 Plus.

You will never see perfect, shiny welds but you can do strong welds. I built several bumpers, hitches, axle spring pads, suspension mounts, and even a couple frame repairs with flux core. Remember that it usually welds hotter by nature, so don't expect to be able to do a good job with thin sheet metal. But for brackets and other heavier parts that don't have to look perfect, or that you can clean up after welding, you should be able to do a good job. Practice a lot and eventually upgrade to gas, but no reason to jump right to it if the flux does what you want.

Thanks for all the good tips guys. I switched to gas today (my neighbor loaned me a tank). World of difference! Long way to go in terms of skill, but at least I am off and runnin'

Attached Images Attached Images