Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Gear ratio

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, NH
    Posts
    379

    Default Gear ratio

    Sad to say but my 2007 JK will be traded in the near future. I am looking at a four door preferably not a Rubicon what gear ratio do I need to look at so I can have 285. Buy 2007 JK at the moment has four 10s and I am running 3.15. thank you in advance! Carol
    Carol & Gerry "It's a jeep thing....."
    The Jeep Wave... A tradition that began long time ago in acknowledgment of freedom, open country, go anywhere & get anywhere - Own it, live it!
    07 Jeep Wrangler Black Stock w/MT MTZ BAJA 315/75/16 Pro Comp Black Alloy rims,
    Rugged Ridge Winch Mount Modular MileMarker 9000 winch
    http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...view=slideshow

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lebanon NH
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    285, and 315, are really only a third of the equation as they are only a measurement of width.
    That said, likely you are looking to go to 33" tires, but still need more info, like pre 2012 (3.8) or 2012 to present (3.6). Also important, transmission. Especially for pre 2012. The auto (4spd) was a dog. I had one in my 2008 Rubicon. I had 4.10's on 285/70r117, or basically 33"x11.5" tires. It was not an awful combination, but it really hated hills.
    My 2012 Sahara has 3.21's, and the new auto trans (5spd) and running 275/70r18, or 33"x11" and it has no issues anywhere.
    No experience with the 6spd manual except to say if you buy one, make sure the fluid is full. But the 6spd will have even less trouble with the same gearing no matter the year (all the same from...started 03 maybe, up until the 2018 JK) as it has more range than the autos.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

    Buy a Gazetteer

  3. #3
    Rubicon's Avatar
    Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyme
    Posts
    14,173

    Cool

    Hello Gerry & Carol! It's Shawn that worked at Poulin when you bought that 2007 ;)
    Try and get the 3.73's. My girlfriend Erin has them on her Pentastar equipped 2012(first year for both I think in the JK)
    My friend had 3.21's in his first generation(3.8L) JK and they were horrible. He upgrade to 4.88's for his 33's ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    ...But the 6spd will have even less trouble with the same gearing no matter the year (all the same from...started 03 maybe, up until the 2018 JK) as it has more range than the autos.
    Manual is almost always more reliable. And I think it was actually 2004 for the NSG370 in the Wrangler ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lebanon NH
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Manual is almost always more reliable. And I think it was actually 2004 for the NSG370 in the Wrangler ;)
    Nice she got the 3.73's.
    Wasn't sure the year, thought it might have started with the Rubicon.
    As to reliability, the wa580 vs nsg370 is where the auto wins out fot once. I love my nv3550 in my tj, and when I drove a JK with the nsg370, it was the worst shifting thing ever, or at least the worst since I drove my sister's Pontiac Sunfire manual. And for autos, the wa580 is the best auto trans I have ever driven; solid, strong, great shifting and shift management. I would have loved this trans in my 08.


    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

    Buy a Gazetteer

  5. #5
    Rubicon's Avatar
    Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyme
    Posts
    14,173

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Nice she got the 3.73's.
    Wasn't sure the year, thought it might have started with the Rubicon.
    As to reliability, the wa580 vs nsg370 is where the auto wins out fot once. I love my nv3550 in my tj, and when I drove a JK with the nsg370, it was the worst shifting thing ever, or at least the worst since I drove my sister's Pontiac Sunfire manual. And for autos, the wa580 is the best auto trans I have ever driven; solid, strong, great shifting and shift management. I would have loved this trans in my 08.Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I didn't like how they shifted either and the early ones in the first gen JK had some issues with either second or sixth gear(I can't remember), as we had some warranty claims when I was at the dealership.

    The NV3550(started in 2000) is the strongest Wrangler transmission in my opinion, and what my 1997 has been upgraded to from the original AX-15.

    As for the new automatic, you know I don't like slush boxes, but they are indeed way better than the 42RLE that plague the 1st generation JK.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Westford MA
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Look for the factory tow package to get the 3.73s I had a 6 speed 08 and now drive a 12 with the 6 speed as well and have 3.73s and am running 35s It still does fine on the highway (although I almost never hit 6th except for long flat stretches) and it works great on back-roads. I would love to regear and toss in lockers but I cant justify the cost of a re-gear as its still quite driveable and lockers will just make me do dumber stuff. ;)
    Jeff
    2012 JKU on 35s with skids
    1997 Jeep TJ lock/lock RIP...
    1970 Jeepster Bone stock

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Exeter, NH
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
    ... lockers will just make me do dumber stuff. ;)
    You speak the truth.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

    '97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

    KC1KAX

  8. #8

    Default

    Mine is a 6 speed and on 35s even with 4.10s it drove me crazy. Felt like I was shifting all the time. I'm much happier with 4.56s.

    Of course, my last stickshift was a supercharged Mustang, so maybe I'm just spoiled and can't drive.
    2015 JKURHR 6MT - Rancho 4" Crawler short-arm w/RS9000XLs, Yokohama G003 35s, 4.56s, Quadratec AL skidplates, Smittybilt X2O 10k

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keene, NH
    Posts
    2,528

    Default

    SM465, just saying...

    Oh, JK? Never mind. Oopsie!
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, NH
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Hello Gerry & Carol! It's Shawn that worked at Poulin when you bought that 2007 ;)
    Try and get the 3.73's. My girlfriend Erin has them on her Pentastar equipped 2012(first year for both I think in the JK)
    My friend had 3.21's in his first generation(3.8L) JK and they were horrible. He upgrade to 4.88's for his 33's ;)

    Manual is almost always more reliable. And I think it was actually 2004 for the NSG370 in the Wrangler ;)
    Hi Shawn/Hutch! The highest I'm see is 3.45's. One of us in the house says I should get a Rubicon - I don't want one - and I thought if I went back to 285/75/17's if the 3.45's would be fine. We haven't, unfortunately, had time to off road much lately, at all with the 315's.

    Great to "talk" to you again!

    Carol
    Carol & Gerry "It's a jeep thing....."
    The Jeep Wave... A tradition that began long time ago in acknowledgment of freedom, open country, go anywhere & get anywhere - Own it, live it!
    07 Jeep Wrangler Black Stock w/MT MTZ BAJA 315/75/16 Pro Comp Black Alloy rims,
    Rugged Ridge Winch Mount Modular MileMarker 9000 winch
    http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...view=slideshow

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, NH
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    285, and 315, are really only a third of the equation as they are only a measurement of width.
    That said, likely you are looking to go to 33" tires, but still need more info, like pre 2012 (3.8) or 2012 to present (3.6). Also important, transmission. Especially for pre 2012. The auto (4spd) was a dog. I had one in my 2008 Rubicon. I had 4.10's on 285/70r117, or basically 33"x11.5" tires. It was not an awful combination, but it really hated hills.
    My 2012 Sahara has 3.21's, and the new auto trans (5spd) and running 275/70r18, or 33"x11" and it has no issues anywhere.
    No experience with the 6spd manual except to say if you buy one, make sure the fluid is full. But the 6spd will have even less trouble with the same gearing no matter the year (all the same from...started 03 maybe, up until the 2018 JK) as it has more range than the autos.
    It will be an automatic probably Sahara.
    Carol & Gerry "It's a jeep thing....."
    The Jeep Wave... A tradition that began long time ago in acknowledgment of freedom, open country, go anywhere & get anywhere - Own it, live it!
    07 Jeep Wrangler Black Stock w/MT MTZ BAJA 315/75/16 Pro Comp Black Alloy rims,
    Rugged Ridge Winch Mount Modular MileMarker 9000 winch
    http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...view=slideshow

  12. #12
    Rubicon's Avatar
    Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyme
    Posts
    14,173

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by oaklane View Post
    ...Great to "talk" to you again!
    Carol
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lebanon NH
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oaklane View Post
    It will be an automatic probably Sahara.
    I am a huge fan of the 5 speed auto in the 12 to 18 JK. Like Shawn I would prefer a manual, but not the nsg370. The main thing I like about manual is I can fill it with water, run it home, drain and refill several times, and it is good to go. Can't do that with an auto.
    The 4 speed auto was a dog, so if you can avoid it you have a lit more leeway for manageable tire size changes.
    Just IMO of course

    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

    Buy a Gazetteer

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lebanon NH
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Oh, also I saw Shawn had posted a gearing chart for you, but I have a couple Jeep specific ones as well. There is alsona site called grimmjeeper.com that has some interesting info
    http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html


    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

    Buy a Gazetteer

  15. #15
    Rubicon's Avatar
    Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lyme
    Posts
    14,173

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I am a huge fan of the 5 speed auto in the 12 to 18 JK. Like Shawn I would prefer a manual, but not the nsg370. The main thing I like about manual is I can fill it with water, run it home, drain and refill several times, and it is good to go. Can't do that with an auto.
    The 4 speed auto was a dog, so if you can avoid it you have a lit more leeway for manageable tire size changes.
    Just IMO of course

    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    You got it
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •