Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: ENH Anniversary Run - June 1st 2019 - Registration and Details

Question Radio decisions

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    Radios, while not required, are so cheap and easy to acquire as to be a must have. FRS works great, most likely that's what we'll be using. Please make sure your radio works, and you know how to use it, ahead of time. Don't be "that guy" breaking open the bubble pack at 9:00 AM on June 1st.
    Any chance of deciding that before the day of? ENH Mandatory Equipment list recommends CB and you seem to be leaning FRS. I can go either way, but I'd rather not have to bring both and mess around swaping out in the parking lot.
    I am not a doctor, mechanic, lawyer, cop, merc, gov agent, spy, sniper, ninja, pirate, or superhero. I am not going to pretend I am either. I'm just me. No warranties or guarantees on anything I say.

My more recent old build thread. build thread
    My OLD build thread

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Tundra do u need a tailgunner?
    Sure do!
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    1952 M38A1 'Old Swampy' - pending reassembly into mostly stock form

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    Sure do!
    I'm in...let the CB banter begin
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

Quote Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
    Any chance of deciding that before the day of? ENH Mandatory Equipment list recommends CB and you seem to be leaning FRS. I can go either way, but I'd rather not have to bring both and mess around swaping out in the parking lot.
    I'm glad you brought this up. I prefer CB and plan that to be primary. I will monitor FRS, and try to get out important information with both. Someone often volunteers to be the CB-FRS relay.

FRS is a good option for beginners as there's no installation or performance headaches from a weak installation. A good CB installation just works best in my opinion.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomah: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by broken1 View Post
    The MEL was created years ago. alot of folks still hold onto CB due to installed user base.

This question is often debated and often falls to what everyone has. I always carry both and often swap out. Yes its a pain, and why I'm trying to get the truck set up to run all 3 all the time.

I'll post a thread to feel out who has what and so we can nail down the 2 stock groups

For anyone interested in FRS (let the debate continue!)

handheld "bubble pack" radios below 2W ERP don't require a 'license'. This page https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...ense_free.html shows what radios do require license. The handheld FRS are great for spotting.
    There are plenty of great mag-mount antenna for CB and 3M velcro works well as a temp mounting solution for the radio.

but I don't recommend the compact CBs (Cobra 75, Midland 75...) and the Uniden 760 has had increasing reports of failure... I've used both hte Cobra and Midland. Midland had a overheat failure and a poor contact with its adapter base, causing it to cut out. The Cobra suffers from weak TX (but good RX).
    Last edited by mtyler11; 05-19-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

For me I'm going with a CB. For me it's much easier to use and much easier to hear.
    Patience-2008 Wrangler X, Rubicon rims and tires, 1 leveling kit, Baricade rock sliders, Traflex sway bar quick disconnects, mostly stock for now. (Never even thinking about angry eyes)

Went out today and did final planning for the anniversary event. All the roads are set up to flow very smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

FRS is more common in handhelds than CBs today. One of the nice things about having a handheld is one can be given to the driver and the other to the spotter. Allows for clean directions from one person without yelling. makes for better videos to.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

For what it's worth, I have both in my rig and I'll figure out with my group beforehand what we're using. I'm fine with either.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

personnel been using a CB for over 40 years ,seem to always work just fine.
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    Someone often volunteers to be the CB-FRS relay.
    I volunteer as tribute! Since I'll be looking to hitchhike with someone anyway. Maybe I can add ham radio to the mix, too, but I only have two hands and my brain may explode.

I have a CB, haven't really used it but heard the truckers now and then on the trip to FL. So I assume working.

Off the full list of required equipment, I won't have all the stuff for the winch, got one coming in, so hopefully it'll at least be installed. Only things else would be HiIft jack and chainsaw. I'm stock hight, so I figure a good piece of a 4x4 or 6x6 and I should be good. I've used the stock jack before without issue. I'll be getting a battery powered chainsaw later this summer but for now a handsaw and hatchet should work.

For a rear row point I've got the stock hook on the JK and a reciever shackle. Will that work?