Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Eastern Ma

Default Hello from Eastern Ma

Hi all!

Just found this place while searched for offroading trails and joined up. I plan on doing the self guided trans nh trail over the summer if I can find a willing buddy with a 4x4!

I just bought a 19' tacoma off road and Im excited to get out. Old truck was a F350 6.0. big difference!

Ive been researching lift kits for the new truck. Looking for something mild. So far Im leaning towards OME 887 with bilstein 5100s and a 3 leaf progressive AAL on the rear.
    https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/st...16BK-1%29.html

-steve

welcome to exploringnh Steve .You have found a amazing site with tons of like minded people. Lots of them wheel Toyota's,so before long will should be getting all kinds of input. once mud seasons goes, they will be events posted
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Hello and welcome Steve!

I really like Bilstein 5100's, especially for their rustproofness up here in the "salt-belt". OME seems to make really good products, albeit a little pricey. However I personally am not a big fan of AAL's, as I prefer a softer ride with more flex and articulation, but to each their own.

I wanted a Super Duty myself, but the size for off-roading, and the fuel mileage kept me away I guess. You will find the Toy Tacos fit better width wise on all the typical Jeep trails up here.

Enjoy!!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys! Glad I found this place. Lots of like minded people here. I'm looking forward to joining some group rides.

Steve

Welcome Steve,
    I had an 09 Tacoma 4 door long bed at 1st i had the Bilsteins and i went to OME with an add a leaf in the back and the 886' coils, i switched to 887's when i added skid plates,a plate bumper and a winch, 886's will make the front end sag with all the weight added.
    If you plan on doing doing that stuff 887's are fine, but without that stuff i feel like it sits too high and on a side note i use to wheel the hell out of it and was never disappointed.

Denis
    2015 Rubicon

Welcome to ENH Steve. I had a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off road and did a lot of wheeling with the group last year. Lots of great roads to explore. My truck got totaled back in November. I now have a 19 same model, that I am in the process of adding modifications to. Looking forward to more wheeling this season. Im also in Mass, if you ever want to head up north to do some wheeling let me know.
    Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by dryvah View Post
    Hi all!

Just found this place while searched for offroading trails and joined up. I plan on doing the self guided trans nh trail over the summer if I can find a willing buddy with a 4x4!

I just bought a 19' tacoma off road and Im excited to get out. Old truck was a F350 6.0. big difference!

Ive been researching lift kits for the new truck. Looking for something mild. So far Im leaning towards OME 887 with bilstein 5100s and a 3 leaf progressive AAL on the rear.
    https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/st...16BK-1%29.html

-steve
    Hi and welcome! Headstrong is an awesome company. Contact them directly and they will help you with you decisions. Mary knows literally everything about lifting Tacos. When choosing a lift, think about what kind of wheeling and build you will be doing. Will you be getting a bumper and winch? If so, the 887s might be too springy if you have a V6 and you may need to bump up to 886s. AALs are a great choice unless you are going to use a cab - in which case I would suggest buying a new OME leaf pack. So that lift should give you between 2.5 and 3+ inches of lift (depending on your trucks weight in various places). Be ready for the possibility of chasing driveline vibrations. Some folks get away with none, but others have to shim the rear axle, flip carrier bearings, etc. Anyhow, have fun and post up pics!
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Hello and welcome Steve!

I really like Bilstein 5100's, especially for their rustproofness up here in the "salt-belt". OME seems to make really good products, albeit a little pricey. However I personally am not a big fan of AAL's, as I prefer a softer ride with more flex and articulation, but to each their own.

I wanted a Super Duty myself, but the size for off-roading, and the fuel mileage kept me away I guess. You will find the Toy Tacos fit better width wise on all the typical Jeep trails up here.

Enjoy!!
    05 SUPERDUTY REG CAB LONG BED

BODY WIDTH - 79.9"
    LENGTH - 226.4"
    WHEELBASE -
    137.0"
    GROUND CLEARANCE - 8.1"

2019 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB SR5
    BODY WIDTH -
    74.4"
    LENGTH - 225.5"
    WHEEL BASE - 140"
    GROUND CLEARANCE - 9"

body width is not much different.

I wheel my 94 f350 and its even closer to Tacoma and beats it in some dimensions....

Love the tacomas though! I wish I had one too!

Last edited by FSHJNKY; 04-22-2019 at 02:25 PM.

not sure why my post posted the way it did above sorry guys!

Hi, Steve. I also just joined up to the site and am from Ma.

Hey guys.

Finally got around to installing the lift. Check it out.

Its sitting a bit nose high. Im hoping the OME 887s settle a bit. I was told they would.
    I'm still considering a new hd leaf pack. The cap + tools/gear might be too heavy got the aal.

Can anyone recommend an alignment shop in my neck? I stopped at Sullivan today and they told me they can't work on a lifted vehicle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	32939  
    Last edited by dryvah; 04-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo1288 View Post
    not sure why my post posted the way it did above sorry guys!
    Fixed it for you.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Where in MA are you located?

I think the reason some places won't align lifted vehicles is that the factory specs TECHNICALLY only apply to stock height vehicles and they don't want to take on the liability if it doesn't handle correctly. Personally, I've aligned my Jeep since forever with a tape measure for toe and an angle finder for caster, but yeah the IFS on your truck is quite a bit more complex than a solid front axle.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Great looking truck!

I would recommend Ratchets Offroad in Pelham, NH (Southern NH). They are a supporting vendor of ours and do alignments on lifted vehicles.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    Where in MA are you located?

I think the reason some places won't align lifted vehicles is that the factory specs TECHNICALLY only apply to stock height vehicles and they don't want to take on the liability if it doesn't handle correctly. Personally, I've aligned my Jeep since forever with a tape measure for toe and an angle finder for caster, but yeah the IFS on your truck is quite a bit more complex than a solid front axle.
    Im on the North Shore.
    I used to align my f350 in the driveway with string and a laser. You're right, solid axles are definitely easier. Im going to leave this one to a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    Great looking truck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin View Post
    I would recommend Ratchets Offroad in Pelham, NH (Southern NH). They are a supporting vendor of ours and do alignments on lifted vehicles.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give them a call. Maybe I can make a trip up that way.
    Last edited by dryvah; 04-22-2019 at 05:49 PM.