Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: How much rust is too much rust on axles?

Default How much rust is too much rust on axles?

I know this isnt the best pic, but the seller just texted them to me. What do you guys think of the rust on the axle? I am not sure how much rust is too much on an axle. I know they last longer than most frames, but I dont have a ton of experience with this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1261.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	32680  
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

that looks like a TTB front end and that steel is not thin. its stamped plate steel and it looks like surface rust. the key areas to look at are coil buckets and link mounts on some rigs. axles are heavy steel and as long as you dont have deep scale then it wouldnh bother me much. its all the thin stuff connected to it that rots off.
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

I agree with Derek ^
    Looks like nothing bad to me, from what I can see anyways. Plus the oil leak is helping it, ha :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Thanks guys, looking at stealing the axles and engine out of this for my BII.

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

I dont know what a BII is bronco II maybe? but anyway why would you want to put a TTB front end in anything that was not a baja racer? unless the stock 35 front you have is junk and you just want to bring it back. Good time for a solid axle swap. 😀
    88 YJ 2"BDS SOA 2"body Dana 44,8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Chevy 4.3 v6,700R4,NVG241OR Rock-trac,Full cage, and much more!

NTC
    NEA

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2NH View Post
    I dont know what a BII is bronco II maybe? but anyway why would you want to put a TTB front end in anything that was not a baja racer? unless the stock 35 front you have is junk and you just want to bring it back. Good time for a solid axle swap. 😀
    Bronco II's under 1990 came with a wimpy Dana 28. So most folks swap out a dana 35 TTB which will run up to 35/37s. Its a bolt in procedure, no fab involved. Another option is the SAS with a dana 44 from an early bronco. This requires a bit more work. I have toyed with the idea, and I may do it down the road. The dana 35 TTB is cheap, however and it gets me up an running quicker. I also need the engine and rear axle from this truck, so it comes along for the ride.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Bronco II's under 1990 came with a wimpy Dana 28. So most folks swap out a dana 35 TTB which will run up to 35/37s. Its a bolt in procedure, no fab involved. Another option is the SAS with a dana 44 from an early bronco. This requires a bit more work. I have toyed with the idea, and I may do it down the road. The dana 35 TTB is cheap, however and it gets me up an running quicker. I also need the engine and rear axle from this truck, so it comes along for the ride.
    I had almost forgot about those D28 axles, maybe suppressed? haha
    Congratulations on finding what you need/want :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Hmm didnt know that about the older II's. I had a 93 way back so the 35 was all i knew.

👍

NTC
    NEA