Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: wheels for TJ

Default wheels for TJ

so i know i have asked this question before, BUT

So i have a 1997 TJ stock 15 inch wheels

will the newer 16 inch stock wheels fit .Like from a 2008 ?

Thank you
    Scott / teamjeepcrawl / Xoverland

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Member of : Tread Lightly

Please Leave no trace and try to carry out more then you carry in

No they won't Scott. The JK bolt pattern is 5x5, where the TJ is 5x4.5

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

You could run some wheel adapters/spacers to change to that bolt pattern, just need to check the backspacing of the wheel to see how much of a spacer would be right. Not always preferred, but that's what I have to correct the backspacing for running a Rubicon wheel and tire setup on the Grand Cherokee. The main downside is if you have to do axle or ball joint work, or replace rotors, you need to unbolt both the wheel and then the adapter.

There is an array of them on Quadratec:
    https://www.quadratec.com/categories...acers_adapters
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

thank you guys ,just looking to go 16 inch with a stock wheel and no spacer

looks like we will keep 15

1997 Jeep wrangler TJ ,4 inch rough county x- series lift. sitting on 33 inch BFG KM 2s ,tom woods drive shafts with SYE ,chrome molly axles ,smittybilt bumpers,rock-rails ,winch,skid plates ,ARB snorkel,CB radio , full roll cage built by Stinkys off road , along with a few outer moderate up grades and add ons. with a bunch of gear and tools just in case ..M101 Trailer with a roof top tent for those overland adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep crawl View Post
    thank you guys ,just looking to go 16 inch with a stock wheel and no spacer

looks like we will keep 15
    You can get a 16" wheel for the TJ, stock even, I had them on my 2000 Sahara

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Arrow

Why would you want to go to 16" Scott?
    Usually load rated = heavier/stiffer 8-10 ply tires
    Less sidewall too, so less cushion and rim protection :(

I know the XJ Cherokee and KJ Liberty had the same 114.3 bolt pattern and center hub bore as a TJ. Both had 16" options ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

reason behind the 16 inch is all the deals on craigslist for 16 inch. thinking about picking up some all season / snow tires on rims for these late season runs. the mud terrains i have now go no ware in snow

5x4.5 is a common bolt pattern. I know that ford ran it for years. Not sure of the backspacing, but crown victorias have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Some 16" steel wheels from a police interceptor may fit. Pretty sure they were 16x7 rim.
    My place will never be with those cold and timid souls, who neither know victory nor defeat
    '13 Honda XR650L The offroader and commuter
    '89 Dodge Ram50 (Mitsubishi) long bed 2wd. The daily driver
    '62 Ford Falcon 2 door wagon. and 68 F250 camper special. awaiting restoration