Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Strut Top Plate Replacement?

Default Strut Top Plate Replacement?

Looking for a shop to replace the front strut top plate on my Tacoma. Broke a stud loose taking them out and mauled another splitting the nut off. So one top plate definitely needs to be replaced and maybe the other to be consistent and make reassembly more easy. Strut assemblies are off the truck. Any suggestions? Located on Mass/NH border.
    Mike

2009 Taco access cab. Mods: Airaid intake, Magnaflow exhaust, diif breather extended, Budbuilt skid plates, SOS Concept Sliders, SOS Rear Bumper, SOS Front Plate Bumper, OME 3" lift.
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R with Two Brothers exhaust and Juice Box.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Lightbulb

I have a strut spring compressor Mike, but with a +3" coil, I would suggest a shop with a wall mounted cage. It might be too far for you, but I know Dwayne(owndog12) had one at his shop old shop in Rochester. He is in Somersworth now at Range Automotive. Might be worth dropping him a PM, even though he is not active on here anymore.
    I wish you good luck and hope you get it all worked out.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MT_686 View Post
    Looking for a shop to replace the front strut top plate on my Tacoma. Broke a stud loose taking them out and mauled another splitting the nut off. So one top plate definitely needs to be replaced and maybe the other to be consistent and make reassembly more easy. Strut assemblies are off the truck. Any suggestions? Located on Mass/NH border.
    have you considered just compressing the spring yourself? Few weeks back Justin & I "rented" a coil spring compressor from Autozone to install his lift coils. Just be sure to lube the washers & screws with grease or anti-seize so it'll compress easily. Then all you need to do is buy a tophat. Or get some press-in studs and just replace the broken studs.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Default Spring compressor

PM me, I can load you a spring compressor that won't take your head off.

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    have you considered just compressing the spring yourself? Few weeks back Justin & I "rented" a coil spring compressor from Autozone to install his lift coils. Just be sure to lube the washers & screws with grease or anti-seize so it'll compress easily. Then all you need to do is buy a tophat. Or get some press-in studs and just replace the broken studs.
    I did consider it, but did not want to take the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath077 View Post
    PM me, I can load you a spring compressor that won't take your head off.
    Thank for the offer. I ended up getting them replaced at a garage right in town. Stopped by Monday on the way home from work and got them back tonight.
    Mike

2009 Taco access cab. Mods: Airaid intake, Magnaflow exhaust, diif breather extended, Budbuilt skid plates, SOS Concept Sliders, SOS Rear Bumper, SOS Front Plate Bumper, OME 3" lift.
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R with Two Brothers exhaust and Juice Box.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MT_686 View Post
    ...I ended up getting them replaced at a garage right in town. Stopped by Monday on the way home from work and got them back tonight.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)