Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Thread: Dana 60 for YJ?

Default Dana 60 for YJ?

Nearly 20 years ago I put in a Currie HP Ford 9 inch rear end of my 88 YJ. This year I put in a stroker motor with all of the stuff that squeezes out a few more horses. The axle isn't handling the power well.

I broke a few teeth off of the ring gear when I thought it might be a good idea to do a burnout with the locker locked and my 35 x 15.5 inch wide swampers on dry pavement. Ok, so it wasn't a great idea

This past weekend I was pushing the skinny pedal down a bit too much and it twisted the pinion shaft, which destroyed the bearing. The fragments from the bearing got into the spider gears inside the ARB and messed up a few parts that are no longer available.

So... All of that being said, I don't think a Dana 44 is enough for my heavy foot. Does anyone know where I can either have a Dana 60 built or know anyone that has one set up for a YJ they are willing to part with?
    1988 YJ, Fuel Injected 4.5 Stroker, AX15/231, 4.56 Gearing, Stock Dana 30 (Dana 44 coming soon), Currie HP 8.8, Lockers, Running 35's, Warn 12000 (ok a little overkill), SOA, and a bunch of other stuff...

A well built 9" should have no problem with 35s and a stroker.

Or do you have a Dana 44?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean 14 bolt?
    It's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    A well built 9" should have no problem with 35s and a stroker. Or do you have a Dana 44?
    You would be correct if it were a Low Pinion 9 inch. Mine is HP... much weaker. Technically what Currie did is use all 9 Inch components except the R&P. I don't believe there is such a thing as a 9 In reverse cut... I could be wrong, or maybe it wasn't available 20 years ago. Either way, Currie used the 8.8 R&P in a 9 Inch housing. Someone suggested I simply swap in a LP 9 inch. I am going to call Currie tomorrow the check to make sure it will fit.
    1988 YJ, Fuel Injected 4.5 Stroker, AX15/231, 4.56 Gearing, Stock Dana 30 (Dana 44 coming soon), Currie HP 8.8, Lockers, Running 35's, Warn 12000 (ok a little overkill), SOA, and a bunch of other stuff...

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

x3 on swapping the third to a LP with a decent set of gears. You should be able to smoke 4340 shafts through a well setup third before worrying about the gearset.

I was just told about Hi9... They make a high pinion 9 inch that actually has the third bearing on the pinion. My Currie only had the two bearings. I called Hi9 and the only concern is that their setup has a 28 spline pinion vs the 30 spline 8.8. From what I have found out so far, their design is much better than the HP 8.8 and HP Dana 60 in regards to deflection.

I like the HP since I tend to drag the ass end over boulders... When that happens I like that I don't need to be concerned about hitting the driveshaft.

If only I had bottomless pockets...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut72 View Post
    Technically what Currie did is use all 9 Inch components except the R&P.
    Correction... It is a custom 9 inch Axle housing and a custom 3rd member housing that will hold a 9 inch carrier but use 8.8 gears. This means there is no third bearing to support the end of the pinion. The advantage to the 8.8 though is that the pinion has 30 splines vs the 28 splines on the 9 inch.

People with a good bit more power run 44s and 88s on 35 and 37s with out problems. Built axles.
    The 3 bearing 9 probably has more torque load due to less pinion deflation and is one of the reasons people build 609s.

the other thing is a High pinion(reverse cut) gear set is stronger in a front application vs a rear. So having a high pinion in the rear is not ideal.

if you drag diff now then going to a 60 is going to make things worse if you dont shave the hell out of it or go up in tire size.

Careful not to go over board with strength and have the weight and or clearance reduce the capability of the rig.
    97 Jeep XJ Trussed/gusseted D30,Ford 8.8,locked F/R with Moly shafts and 4.56s,Stock 4.0 with a NVG241OR Rock-trac,5.5" long arm, full under armor, OBA, 35x12.5-15.

NEA

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2NH View Post
    if you drag diff now then going to a 60 is going to make things worse if you dont shave the hell out of it or go up in tire size.

Careful not to go over board with strength and have the weight and or clearance reduce the capability of the rig.
    Wise words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have decided to go with a True Hi9. Given the damage I have done in the past hitting the bottom of the differential, I thought it best to keep the driveshaft up and out of the way. The only draw back to these units is that the gear sets are only made for True Hi9. I sure hope I don't blow the gears out of it! As you might imagine, a set of unique gears aren't cheap... $520.
    Last edited by Jeepnut72; 09-26-2018 at 04:58 PM.