Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skid Plates

Default Skid Plates

Starting to think about throwing some skid plates at my JKU. I'd really like to get the Undercloak system. I am also trying to figure out what to do with the EVAP canister. I'd like to relocate using the Metal Cloak kit but it looks overpriced and over engineered. I'm also worried about Codes that may pop up by completely relocating. If people could weigh in on maybe some other skid options overall that are more cost effective, that would be perfect. Any EVAP relocation or input is perfect too. Thanks!

I considered the Evap relocation and chose to just put a skid over it and haven't had any issues at all. I read a bunch of stuff about codes and what not. I was just more concerned with having to move everything. I took the easy way out. HAHA

I know of a few people that have relocated and not had any issues at all.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

I relocated after crushing the 'stock skid plate' on my 2013. I had codes, but that was because the crush damaged not just the canister (the damage there was obvious and I replaced it) but also the little white plastic bit attached to it (where the damage wasn't visible). Since replacing that, I haven't had any issues. Of note, I wouldn't contemplate a relocation without a lift in place, as 'over the rear axle' is the place that my relocation kit put mine.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

Wheezy Chicken - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually

Here's a photo of my Undercloak . . .before all the gouges, cuts and scrapes

____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_). BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    I considered the Evap relocation and chose to just put a skid over it and haven't had any issues at all. I read a bunch of stuff about codes and what not. I was just more concerned with having to move everything. I took the easy way out. HAHA

I know of a few people that have relocated and not had any issues at all.
    That definitely makes me feel better about it. I think I’ll go that route eventually. Appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryring View Post
    I relocated after crushing the 'stock skid plate' on my 2013. I had codes, but that was because the crush damaged not just the canister (the damage there was obvious and I replaced it) but also the little white plastic bit attached to it (where the damage wasn't visible). Since replacing that, I haven't had any issues. Of note, I wouldn't contemplate a relocation without a lift in place, as 'over the rear axle' is the place that my relocation kit put mine.
    Another great point. I’m just not a fan of touching them since I was replacing the evap canister on my 09 silverado after every winter. They’re built so horribly and crack after freezing. Hopefully Jeeps will bury my nervousness lol. I’d like to wait until I have a lift but I think that’s at least a year or two away and I still wanna hit some easy trails with her.

Any cons to having a full skid plate setup on a stock height Jeep? I’ll have A/T tires before this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
    Here's a photo of my Undercloak . . .before all the gouges, cuts and scrapes

Yeahhh! Looks sick! Happy with it so far? Will you ever have to replace after so much damage or is it just more clearance? Hahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by dun_right View Post
    Another great point. I’m just not a fan of touching them since I was replacing the evap canister on my 09 silverado after every winter. They’re built so horribly and crack after freezing. Hopefully Jeeps will bury my nervousness lol. I’d like to wait until I have a lift but I think that’s at least a year or two away and I still wanna hit some easy trails with her.

Any cons to having a full skid plate setup on a stock height Jeep? I’ll have A/T tires before this happens.
    I think skids in general (not just talking about the evap) are a much higher priority than lift.

Additionally, I didn't hit my evap until I was tackling Moderate roads, and putting my drive shaft at risk.

I've had my Jeep since it was new, and have never had the evap canister crack other than the time I bashed it on that rock. There are some components that I'm not happy with their longevity (throwout bearings, ball joints) but the evap canister isn't one that I worry about.
    -- Tundra (yes, really my name, not my truck!) - KC1DQY

Wheezy Chicken - 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - not stock any more - Schoolbus Yellow (er, 'Dozer')
    Old Swampy - 1952 Willys MD (aka M38A1 aka G758) - in my he-shed undergoing the lengthy process of renovation/reassembly into mostly stock form - will return to the currently available reproduction of the original Olive Drab and US Army markings eventually

Quote Originally Posted by dun_right View Post
    That's why we used to call Tundra's Jeep the "Grader". You could always tell where he went by the impressions left on break-overs by the fasteners. :)

Seriously, though; that is the best order of progression: Armor, Lift, Tires... Definitely armor first. There is a real benefit to this, as this way you develop a natural eye for the best line, owing to the feedback from the skid plates, which will serve you well in the long run.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

^^ x2... Armor will prevent you from breaking your rig while you develop your 'inner eye' of where everything is underneath, how the rear follows the front, where teh front ACTUALLLY goes vs where you Want the front to go...

some would argue that lift first will teach you the same things and that armor will give a false sense of security while you bash your way through everything... and it IS a good point... but the drawback is if you go lift -no armor and you misjudge something, it can be costly.

As long as you don't use your armor TOO much you will learn good skills... OR if when you find you're starting to rely on your armor its time to lift & tire...
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Armor first. Go wherever you want with a tug and a scrape on armor vs a crushed Tranny Pan, Crushed Oil Pan, Crushed Evap Can etc... ask me how I know.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up Armor first...

Glad members are actually and finally on board for what I have been preaching for many years...skids first! ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Skids let you relax, and enjoy the experience. Without them, every clunk or scrape is something to worry about.
    1992 Range Rover Classic Alpine White "Grover" - Gone
    1988 Land Rover (Defender) Ninety Black "Ralph"- Gone
    2006 Land Rover LR3 (Discovery 3) Tonga Green "Greenie"- Gone
    1988 Range Rover Classic Portofino Red "Randy" - Gone
    1992 Range Rover Classic Eastnor Green "Rocket" - Gone
    2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II Oxford Pearl Blue Metallic "R2"
    2008 Range Rover Supercharged (L322) Stornoway Grey “Grey Ghost”

“Shhhhhh it’s okay.... everything is okay, we’re in the Range Rover” -Dennis Reynolds

My order of progression is clunk, scrape, laugh, keep wheeling.

Skids. +1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

Awesome thanks everyone! I'm not going to be lifting her anytime soon. At least until the factory warranties are up. I'll definitely be keeping the Undercloak system in my sights but who knows what could happen. I'll relocate the EVAP at the same time. Whenever all this happens, I'll throw some pics up on this thread. Any other recommendations besides Undercloak?