Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The (re)building of the Team Overbuilt fab shop

Since the floor is under-performing, I picked up a heavy duty anti-fatigue welding mat designed for long hours of standing, welding, and sparks. It is very heavy and fits very nicely in front of the bench where we've seen the floor coating chip from small drops, as well as burn from hot weld slag.

image-20190326_205216 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Hung the speakers on the back wall, wired in through the in-wall wiring:

image-20190329_214716 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

With some help from Chris, we pulled all the new and existing CAT6 into the rack and terminated them in a 48 port panel. These drops serve the house cameras, APs and other wired devices as well as the shop computer, comecast audio, and interior and exterior cameras.

IMG_20190331_150101 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

image-20190331_160017 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Hung more of the ceiling panels as well as finished up the lighting in the far bay:

IMG_20190407_155532 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

PANO_20190407_155629.vr by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Built the computer / stereo desk. There is a small UPS mounted to the wall to protect the stereo and computer from power events:

IMG_20190407_160754 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

IMG_20190407_160813 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Made sure the computer desk was no deeper than the toolboxes so everything along this wall was tucked away, leaving enough room for work in this bay

IMG_20190407_161759 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Spent some time outside on Sunday since it was so beautiful. Started pulling lawn equipment out and getting it ready for the season. Finally had a moment to pull the blown engine off the zero-turn. It has a nice big crack in the block between the cylinder and crankcase. Hoping I can find a suitable replacement at the local small engine shop.

image-20190407_173445 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Nothing better than a fire to end a productive day!

image-20190407_191351 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Long story short, the list of small things to finish is long but we're so very close to having it ready to work in!
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

That is the cleanest shop EVER! How do you do it?
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

Electrical, HVAC, plumbing, construction, welding, auto repair, fabrication! Is there anything you guys can't do? Seriously, you have really thought this stuff out and executed brilliantly. Congrats on all you've accomplished and I'm sure you have more up your sleeves to impress us.
    Rick (KC1KVZ)
    2018 JLUR
    (gone) 2017 JKU Smoky Mountain, Rock Hard sliders but otherwise stock

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    That is the cleanest shop EVER! How do you do it?
    Thank you! Truthfully, we have only done VERY minimal work in it so far. But beyond that, it is fairly easy to keep clean due to the floor coating and the walls being a full gloss paint. We'll also be running a large air filter on the ceiling to capture a lot of particles thrown into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepThrills View Post
    Electrical, HVAC, plumbing, construction, welding, auto repair, fabrication! Is there anything you guys can't do? Seriously, you have really thought this stuff out and executed brilliantly. Congrats on all you've accomplished and I'm sure you have more up your sleeves to impress us.
    We like to dabble in a bit of everything! Thanks, we hope to keep up the intensity once we move onto building my 400hp TJ on 40s!

Installed the 220v welder outlet last night in the welder cubby! No need to weld on the 120V reel like we have been (Mr. Miller is a multi-volt welder) though the reel is VERY useful for welding out in the driveway on sheet metal and exhaust tubing. Since the welder plug is multi-volt, it sticks out horizontally and tends to be a hazard if placed incorrectly.

Example:

image-20190409_184529 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

So the plug got installed inside the support wall facing backwards. This keeps the plug out of the way and clean(er) than out in the open. The long welder plug is safe from harm as well.

image-20190409_192811 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

The cord on Mr. Miller is long enough to get to most of the front of each bay from here.

image-20190409_192819 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

The welder extension plugs in and now is stored nicely coiled up in the wall if we need to extend the reach.

image-20190409_193642 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr

Finished off the night by cleaning the bench. Found a new home for some lingering items that don't belong on the bench. Got the tractor battery on charge and some on-deck screws for the ceiling. The fluids will eventually all live in a corner cabinet next to the overhead door in the far bay. The cabinet has not yet been built so they are camping out on the bench.

image-20190409_200517 by Mitchell Beauchemin, on Flickr
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread

Saw this in a magazine today and just HAD to post it here.

If a red velvet curtain shows up in the Overbuilt Fab Shop, I'd be very worried about what's behind it . . . one can only wonder . . .

____=__=.
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_). BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
    Saw this in a magazine today and just HAD to post it here.

If a red velvet curtain shows up in the Overbuilt Fab Shop, I'd be very worried about what's behind it . . . one can only wonder . . .

Now that's a clean garage! I'm a fan, including the red curtain! We don't have one of those, but we DO have a dark grey standing welders wall! Close enough for me :)
    Build thread
    Shop Build Thread