Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Lumpskie's Diesel Land Cruiser Build

Default Lumpskie's Diesel Land Cruiser Build

I figured you guys need a little more Toyota in your life, so I'll track my build on here. The basics of my rig are: 1996 Land Cruiser FZJ80 that has been converted to diesel. Here are the basics of what I started with. I consider it a mechanically solid truck that needs a little TLC in the aesthetics department.

'96 FZJ80 converted 1HD-T

Engine: 115,000 miles
    Chassis: 160,000 miles

1HD-T conversion was completed by Torfab and was compression checked at 475 across all cylinders
    Gturbo Grunter Turbo - 14psi (for now)
    A442F from Wholesale Automatics (complete rebuilt unit, not just VB) with lockup in 3 and 4
    Heavy Duty Torque Converter from Wholesale Automatics
    Airdog II filter/separator
    ARB front and rear lockers
    Center Diff Lock
    BEB's replaced by PO
    Rebuilt injection pump and serviced injectors (DFIS PDX)
    Dual batteries, Sears Diehard Advanced Gold AGM
    IsoPro gauges for: Oil Pressure, EGTís, Boost
    Slee headlight wiring harness
    Wilson switch wired up for glows.
    Rear ARB bumper
    Complete Old Man Emu suspension kit, about 3/4" lift over stock Now suspect OME 2" lift with 850 coils in front and 860 coils in rear

Factory AC
    New timing Belt, pulley and water pump
    New Front and rear main seals
    All fluids and filters are new and mostly Toyota brand (i.e. red Toyota coolant)
    New tranny fluid
    New dual batteries, Sears Diehard Advanced Gold AGM
    New IsoPro gauges for: Oil Pressure, EGTís, Boost
    Slee headlight wiring harness
    New Window seals and new OEM motor installed in driverís side
    Focal speakers.
    Wilson switch for glows plugs
    Reverse camera wired up and ready for a double din stereo.

CURRENT PHOTO:
    Last edited by Lumpskie; 01-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

My first mod was to get 35" Goodyear Duratracs on it and use it a bit:

Then I cleaned it up a bit:

1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

After that, I installed a Dawes boost controller and set boost to 23psi. Then I modified the aneroid rod so I could tune the boost compensator. This made a good difference in power and left my fuel mileage around 18-20mpg. Not bad for a 6000lb rig on 35s!

Now, I'm building skids and frame sliders. For sliders, I'm using a Trail Gear kit for a Tacoma as a base. Everything will bolt together using basically a frame the both the sliders and the skids will mount on. Sliders will be welded to the tube running longitudinally along the frame and cross members will bolt to that tube as well. Skid plates will mount on the cross members.

Here's the basic layout:

Got the "Feet" for the sliders cut, drilled and prepped for weld:

Got the longitudinal tube cut and capped:

That is a sweet cruiser. I always liked those 80's. Can't wait to see the end result

Quote Originally Posted by jessdude View Post
    That is a sweet cruiser. I always liked those 80's. Can't wait to see the end result
    Thanks! I'm aiming for a low CG combined with good, usable suspension travel. I've got a front bumper coming in a couple of months and am hoping to have the truck fairly set up by the end of fall. Hopefully, I'll have more progress to post this weekend too.

In the mean time, here are a couple videos to keep you guys entertained:

Small water crossing:

Some rocks:

There is no Electric Eye without The Hellion.

Subscribed!
    Looking good and glad to see the last real fj that was brought over to our shores out in the woods and doing what it was designed to do.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by agent smith View Post
    Subscribed!
    Looking good and glad to see the last real fj that was brought over to our shores out in the woods and doing what it was designed to do.
    Awesome, thanks!

So, I got my Hi/Low output Rigid D2s in the mail yesterday. I knew that I didn't like the cherry 3 way switch that came with them, so I bought a lighted marine switch instead. Turns out that the Rigid switch uses what looks like 3/16" connectors and the marine switch uses 1/4" so I"ll make a jumper today. After that, I'll post up some pictures of light output in both low and hi modes!

I wanted to see what the light output of my Rigid D2s were last night. I made some jumpers so I could use my marine switch:

Then I set up the D2s on my grill, just to keep them from falling:

So, here's the baseline: Lowbeams only (With Slee harness upgrade)

Here's low beam and lo output on the D2s (How I would drive on the street)

Here is just the D2s on high: (as you can see, they are aimed too low... the hot spot is on the ground really close to the front of the truck)

Overall, these things put out a LOT of light! I am really happy. I am extra happy that the lo output is bright but not too bright to run on the street. The high output is incredible... the pictures really don't do these lights justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post

Overall, these things put out a LOT of light! I am really happy. I am extra happy that the lo output is bright but not too bright to run on the street. The high output is incredible... the pictures really don't do these lights justice.
    Wow, look at your lawn bursting into flames there! Impressive.

I'm really interested to see how this build goes. That is a good truck. Did you relocate from Oregon or get it shipped (the plates in the first photos are from there)?
    2003 TJ - Superwinch 9500 (second motor, second solenoid) - 1" MML - 3" spring lift - JKS Track Bar - 33x10.50 on stock Canyon rims - Core4x4 Tier 4 CAs

Quote Originally Posted by dschad View Post
    Wow, look at your lawn bursting into flames there! Impressive.

I'm really interested to see how this build goes. That is a good truck. Did you relocate from Oregon or get it shipped (the plates in the first photos are from there)?
    Thanks, and good eye! I bought the truck from a guy in Oregon and had it shipped out here. I figured it was worth the extra cost because Torfab finished out the diesel swap and it has the Australian Wholesale Automatics extreme 442f transmission in it. When I first got it, I was a little nervous about selling my beloved Tacoma (because I put years worth of work into that thing) but after a short amount of time, I realized that this rig could end up being so much better than the Tacoma could have, barring a solid axle swap. I'm just addicted to that diesel torque!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    Thanks, and good eye! I bought the truck from a guy in Oregon and had it shipped out here. I figured it was worth the extra cost because Torfab finished out the diesel swap and it has the Australian Wholesale Automatics extreme 442f transmission in it. When I first got it, I was a little nervous about selling my beloved Tacoma (because I put years worth of work into that thing) but after a short amount of time, I realized that this rig could end up being so much better than the Tacoma could have, barring a solid axle swap. I'm just addicted to that diesel torque!
    Did you buy it without actually touching it? Did you get an inspection service? Just to get one which hasn't spent 20 years in New England winters is worth the extra expense.

An LC is on my short-list of vehicles I'd love to sneak into the woods behind my shop while my wife is away.
    2003 TJ - Superwinch 9500 (second motor, second solenoid) - 1" MML - 3" spring lift - JKS Track Bar - 33x10.50 on stock Canyon rims - Core4x4 Tier 4 CAs

Quote Originally Posted by dschad View Post
    Did you buy it without actually touching it? Did you get an inspection service? Just to get one which hasn't spent 20 years in New England winters is worth the extra expense.

An LC is on my short-list of vehicles I'd love to sneak into the woods behind my shop while my wife is away.
    Haha, yeah. That's actually what I did. My dad lives in Oregon, near the seller. So, he inspected it and sent me pictures. Compared to a New England rig, it's pretty clean. Plus, it had those unique quality parts on it. So, I took a risk and bought it without actually seeing it in person. I was on pins and needles for a few weeks while I lined up shipping and waited for it to get here!

Made a little progress this weekend. I cleaned/prepped the long support tube for welding on the slider legs and made a couple of short support tubes that will attach to the forward most leg. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get everything mocked up and tacked together so you guys can see what it will look like:

My welds aren't pretty, but I think they are functional: