Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Lumpskie's Diesel Land Cruiser Build

My intercooler was stuck in customs yseterday but looks like it is out for delivery today and I get home tomorrow! Hopefully nothing is damaged when I open the packaging.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2006 Evo 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

My PDI intercooler arrived! But... it arrived with the box open.

When I looked at the contents, it appears that, at a minimum, some couplings are missing. I emailed PDI to see what we should do about it.

On a brighter note, the quality looks really good!

Hopefully we get everything sorted out quickly. At least, I'm not planning on installing it until the snow melts anyway.
    1996 Landcruiser, 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo Grunter, Dawes Boost Controller - 23psi, front/rear ARB lockers, ARB rear bumper, Slinky/Icon 3", Wholesale automatics A442f Extreme, 35" Duratracs, home built aluminum belly skid/Sliders, Costa Fabrications Front Bumper, Rigid D2 Low/Hi beam
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 2" Alcan springs, 10" travel Gabriel shocks, 30" Yokohama AT/S
    2000 Civic - B18C swap (Acura Integra GSR engine, transmission, ECU, Axles, shift linkage)

The missing parts to my PDI intercooler kit are here! Now, I just need the weather to be warm enough to get the Evo out for the year. Also, because I read other people's discussion, I added fuel additive to my tank. I used Power Services Diesel Kleen. Wow, it actually made a really noticeable difference. The engine runs smoother. On my 0-60 measurement stretch, I gained about 3 mph. On flat ground, I run 1-2psi less boost to maintain speed. I used to to add lubrication to the fuel because, apparently, the new low sulfur fuels loose their lubricating properties. So, all of these other improvements are on top of that. Based on this experience, I'll probably add it to my fuel every few tanks. I'm going to try mineral 2-stroke oil as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
    The missing parts to my PDI intercooler kit are here! Now, I just need the weather to be warm enough to get the Evo out for the year. Also, because I read other people's discussion, I added fuel additive to my tank. I used Power Services Diesel Kleen. Wow, it actually made a really noticeable difference. The engine runs smoother. On my 0-60 measurement stretch, I gained about 3 mph. On flat ground, I run 1-2psi less boost to maintain speed. I used to to add lubrication to the fuel because, apparently, the new low sulfur fuels loose their lubricating properties. So, all of these other improvements are on top of that. Based on this experience, I'll probably add it to my fuel every few tanks. I'm going to try mineral 2-stroke oil as well.
    Every time I read one of your posts I have to look stuff up.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

@RS1 is helping me get my intercooler installed because I'm on yet another business trip. Turns out my fancy bumper is in the way of the intercooler piping, so we had to make some room..He went ahead an made the cuts. We're hoping that everything cut remains behind the front valence, for cosmetic reasons. All the cut metal was coated in the silver POR-15.

More progress. POR15 drying on the cut portions of the bumper.

Some piping installed:

Intercooler placement:

Almost there. Will test drive today.

I did a run up into the southern portion of the White Mountains today. On the usual looong hills, my EGTs seem to be down 250 degrees or so. I could maintain 77mph all the way up without issue as well. When I installed the IC, I lost 1 lbs of boost. So, I tried to adjust back up... turns out I had over adjusted. I was pushing 24 or 25 psi. So I need to pull that back. Other than that, everything was perfect!

I did a run up into the southern portion of the White Mountains today. On the usual looong hills, my EGTs seem to be down 250 degrees or so. I could maintain 77mph all the way up without issue as well. When I installed the IC, I lost 1 lbs of boost. So, I tried to adjust back up... turns out I had over adjusted. I was pushing 24 or 25 psi. So I need to pull that back. Other than that, everything was perfect!
    Nice, well done!
    Side note, as a Jeep owner, what is it like doing 77? I hear a lot about it, but I really don't believe it's real, never seen it myself, likely just a made up number like 88 mph.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Nice, well done!
    Side note, as a Jeep owner, what is it like doing 77? I hear a lot about it, but I really don't believe it's real, never seen it myself, likely just a made up number like 88 mph.

LoL! Thanks.

Turned boost down and now max at 22-23 psi. Did my normal morning commute, so I could really compare EGTs. I am pretty impressed! Normally, I could reach 1200 degrees on the freeway onramp, and I would have to back off the throttle at around 70mpg indicated (77ish actual). Now, my EGTs seem to top out around 1050, no backing out from the throttle. Before, the EGTs would stay high and linger around the 1000-1100 degree range for roughly a mile. (I'm guessing due to ingesting all the hot air, heated by hot pipes) Now, EGTs drop down to 800 almost immediately. Before, my commute would see cruising EGTs around 1000 at 77mph (actual). Now, they sit around 700.

I still have to grind the grill to get it to fit right. I also need to come up with a solution to get front turn signals back into my rig. But, given these numbers, I am a happy customer with this intercooler!

Also, I wanted to share the cool horn setup that Rob came up with. The 45 degree angle made fitment pretty good:

I went on my first hard shakedown run with the PDI intercooler on last weekend. I packed the rig full of gear and took the family up to Pittsburg. The Cruiser did great! EGTs were cool all the way through the mountains and I had plenty of power... never had to downshift at all!

Also, I ended up getting 21.22 mpg!

I went through my first full tank of gas since I swapped to the 37s. 9 mpg. Winning!
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

I went on my first hard shakedown run with the PDI intercooler on last weekend. I packed the rig full of gear and took the family up to Pittsburg. The Cruiser did great! EGTs were cool all the way through the mountains and I had plenty of power... never had to downshift at all!

Also, I ended up getting 21.22 mpg!

Nice, glad its working out!

Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-KO2's plus neat stock stuff

Buy a Gazetteer

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    I went through my first full tank of gas since I swapped to the 37s. 9 mpg. Winning!
    LoL! There's the difference between a hardcore rock crawler and my daily driver. (I won't mention that my Wagoneer doesn't get much better mileage and it is rolling on 30s....)