Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taco Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    Hi! I remember your truck from the freeze run last year (not that it was frozen). How much lift do you have with those fox shocks. I am still shopping for a lift.
    That was a great run... I was sure I was going to lose my rear mud flaps at least a couple of times, but made it home intact. Did you take any damage?

I was shooting for just under 3" at the front. I got pretty close at install time but feel like they've settled a bit since then. That's about the limit without getting heroic. The 33" KM2's make a big difference. I wonder if you'd have to regear your four banger if you went to 33's.

For the rear I went with All Pro's Expo leaf pack. The factory leaf pack didn't even last two years with the weight I'm carrying. I was nearly riding on the bump stops by the time I swapped them out. The expos are supposed to be good for about 3" with 400lbs in the back. That seems about right to me.

I've been meaning to go measure again just for fun, but it really doesn't matter much. I'm not likely to change it. I really like how it's all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by dBeau View Post
    That was a great run... I was sure I was going to lose my rear mud flaps at least a couple of times, but made it home intact. Did you take any damage?

I was shooting for just under 3" at the front. I got pretty close at install time but feel like they've settled a bit since then. That's about the limit without getting heroic. The 33" KM2's make a big difference. I wonder if you'd have to regear your four banger if you went to 33's.

For the rear I went with All Pro's Expo leaf pack. The factory leaf pack didn't even last two years with the weight I'm carrying. I was nearly riding on the bump stops by the time I swapped them out. The expos are supposed to be good for about 3" with 400lbs in the back. That seems about right to me.

I've been meaning to go measure again just for fun, but it really doesn't matter much. I'm not likely to change it. I really like how it's all worked out.
    No damage to speak of on that trip. Just a bunch of scratches...although that trip made me ditch the mudflaps altogether.

I am thinking 3 inches too, or just under. I am on 32s right now and I will probably go 255/85 at some point, and yes I think a re-gear will be in order for sure.

I am definitely going with a new leaf spring set (prob dakar) and not an add-a-leaf. After 1 year my rear is sagging already _> with no cap! Other than that I can't decide on brand. I could go icon, fox, king etc. but I wonder if I NEED to. Truth be told, I am OK with the stock ride, I just wish the truck was higher for better angles and to clear the frame a bit. That makes me think just stick with OME or bilstein/OME coil options.
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

I am considering the Heavy kit from OME as my first major investment into my Tacoma. May or may not come before a magnaflow 4x4 catback exhaust

You gonna be adding much weight to the front? The heavy ones are gonna be a little stiff for stock weight, but if a bumper/winch is in your near future it makes sense. Lemme know if you want prices on OME or Magnaflow ;)
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERTOY4 View Post
    Great idea for a thread on here. Are any Toyota members up for a meet and greet. Talk trucks while we wait for mud season to end.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm in!

What would intrest be for a Toy meet up on Saturday or Sunday April 23rd or 24th. Share ideas discuss some trail runs. I'm located in lakes region but am fine with an hour drive to meet more central like Concord area. Any input would be great.

Doing the right thing when no one is watching!

What would intrest be for a Toy meet up on Saturday or Sunday April 23rd or 24th. Share ideas discuss some trail runs. I'm located in lakes region but am fine with an hour drive to meet more central like Concord area. Any input would be great.

Concord works, I'm about 30 minutes from there. Sunday would probably be best, like mid-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    You gonna be adding much weight to the front? The heavy ones are gonna be a little stiff for stock weight, but if a bumper/winch is in your near future it makes sense. Lemme know if you want prices on OME or Magnaflow ;)
    I am considering a bumper/winch in the future! Don't know how soon, but thought it would be best to get the proper suspension before the heavy stuff. would the heavy kit be unbearable to live with for say like a year with the stock front bumper?

That works Concord is pretty central. Any suggestions for a spot. Maybe off exit 14 where they have the fair decent parking lot and food nearby if we want. I'm shooting for a few hours out of the house and get some plans in the works for the season.

Doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPeelOut View Post
    I am considering a bumper/winch in the future! Don't know how soon, but thought it would be best to get the proper suspension before the heavy stuff. would the heavy kit be unbearable to live with for say like a year with the stock front bumper?
    No it won't be unbearable. It will probably just sit a little high in front.
    ScerbFab LLC
    Offroad & Performance - Barrington, NH
    Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

(603) 309-2030
    www.scerbfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scerb View Post
    No it won't be unbearable. It will probably just sit a little high in front.
    Okay, I think I can live with that. Thanks!

So here is a tech question for you guys. I have finally decided on a lift for my truck. I toyed with the idea of Icons for a long time and I was riding down the road one day with my e-rated tires on stock suspension and I said to myself, 'I really don't mind this ride as is.' Given this, I decided I didn't really need to drop so much coin on a suspension system. Even so, I want some sort of quality, so I am going with an OME+dakar setup.

Here is my question: I have a 4cyl access cab and will have a full set of steel skids and sliders this spring. I am wondering what coils I should choose -885 or 887. I would like to be somewhat level, so I am thinking I need around 3 inches to keep up with the dakars in the back. I am wondering because of my 4cyl and access cab (which makes my truck lighter than most folks), I might be a little nose high if I go 887s. What do you think? 885 or 887?

And yes, a bumper and winch will come down the road, but maybe not until next year.

Sean

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod

That works Concord is pretty central. Any suggestions for a spot. Maybe off exit 14 where they have the fair decent parking lot and food nearby if we want. I'm shooting for a few hours out of the house and get some plans in the works for the season.

I live in that area, so if I am free I would be up for a meet and greet. Why don't we meet at Clough state park instead? A lot prettier and really close to 89, which is just off 93.

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    I live in that area, so if I am free I would be up for a meet and greet. Why don't we meet at Clough state park instead? A lot prettier and really close to 89, which is just off 93.
    Never been there sounds like a good place tho!

Question what to get

So with the announcements of monthly Noob runs, I'm thinking about what next "big" item I should get to increase the off-road prowess of my truck. Between $500-$1000ish.

Should I start by ditching my highway tires for some a/t (definitely Duratracs if I go this route) or save up a little more and go for suspension (OME 887s and Dakars, knowing I want a bumper in the future), or would getting armor be a better first priority? I haven't been off-road really but it seems like rocks may be the most likely to potentially mess up my Tacoma.

Any advice is appreciated

Ben