Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: First Jeep. Why did I wait so long?

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Cool

Definitely massive. Good luck Jesse!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

6 weeks for delivery?
    J.J. Nissen snack truck minus the snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    6 weeks for delivery?
    Something like that. Maybe 5.

Got some more done tonight. Had to trim away the skid plate to make it fit, gonna add a piece of plate over that spot to protect it.

Also got the interior back together. That's a lot of shifters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FreakinJeep; 02-04-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Nah, it is just a security system, since most people can only drive slushboxes, so this will send them running and screaming! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    ...That's a lot of shifters.

Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.

Pretty much finalized my Atlas install today. Would have been a lot less involved if I didn't have a custom drivetrain and a tummy tuck flat skid.

Marked and measured, tacked up some 1/4" steel to cover the cutout, protect the case, and provide a mounting point for the tailhousing support I got for the heavy-as-omg Atlas.

That's a pretty big gap to bridge with mig wire... hehehe.

More welding

Ground down and beveled the front edge of the plates so they (hopefully) won't catch on (much) stuff.

Final look with the support ring installed. She's a tight squeeze.

I ordered my wheels today, and the rear axle rebuild kit showed up yesterday, so probably going to be doing the rear axle r/p rebuild tomorrow and maybe welding on some beadlocks next weekend?

Last edited by FreakinJeep; 02-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Some sketchy stuff going on in FreakinJeep HQ today. As per usual.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Looks legit to me
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    Looks legit to me
    +1 ^

Coming along, looks awesome Jesse!
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

Thanks.

Got the new r/p set up in the rear axle Sunday. I can tell Mitch wasn't particularly nice to it, which I love. Gently used parts are the best parts.

I had to grind down part of the cover mounting surface that had some rock rash on it, found a couple bearing races that had spun in the journals that needed some attention to get the press fit back (just a couple smacks with a punch and some Loctite 620) and replaced the damaged ring and pinion with a good used one and new bearings. I haven't done a gear setup in a year or so so I was outta practice, but I managed to finish before the wife started asking when I was coming inside. Always key.

I'll probably throw some new brake shoes on for good measure, and call that axle done until the link kits show up.

Front axle next!

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Yep, looks sketchy, but that is usually "par for the course" when doing press work ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    Thanks.

Got the new r/p set up in the rear axle Sunday. I can tell Mitch wasn't particularly nice to it, which I love. Gently used parts are the best parts.

I had to grind down part of the cover mounting surface that had some rock rash on it, found a couple bearing races that had spun in the journals that needed some attention to get the press fit back (just a couple smacks with a punch and some Loctite 620) and replaced the damaged ring and pinion with a good used one and new bearings. I haven't done a gear setup in a year or so so I was outta practice, but I managed to finish before the wife started asking when I was coming inside. Always key.

I'll probably throw some new brake shoes on for good measure, and call that axle done until the link kits show up.

Front axle next!

It's been thoroughly "tested" and proven worthy! Rather surprised it was in as good of condition as it is! I THINK it has newer shoes / drums / hardware and has very little time on them.

Looking forward to seeing them getting thrashed on again soon!
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

This thread is turning into quite the gold mine of info!
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    This thread is turning into quite the gold mine of info!
    Oh lawd no. I'm just making it up as I go along. Please nobody follow my lead.

#teamshoddilybuilt

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

At least your splitter didn't get its self perished like mine did.

J.J. Nissen snack truck minus the snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    At least your splitter didn't get its self perished like mine did.

Daaaaaaaaang.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX