Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: First Jeep. Why did I wait so long?

Had to make a quick addition in the name of getting an inspection sticker.

Removable, of course.

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ
    , 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater'

KC1KAX

They need to have the mudflap girl on them.
    J.J. Nissen snack truck minus the snacks.

I would have thought that the bead locks would have been an issue.
    MIKE
    Member: Tread Lightly
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    They need to have the mudflap girl on them.
    Cousin Richies truck stop in Greenland has those, and fantastic Texas Toast.
    MIKE

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sptrmike View Post
    I would have thought that the bead locks would have been an issue.
    I thought some were actually DOT approved.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

[QUOTE=Rubicon;395090]I thought some were actually DOT approved.[/QUOTE

http://liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
    MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by sptrmike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I thought some were actually DOT approved.
    http://liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
    Thanks for sharing, very cool site!

Hutchinson makes the Rock Monster beadlocks and they are DOT approved: https://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/index.php
    WAGGLER: 1999 TJ: currently in pieces.
    Build thread
    Member: Team Overbuilt
    Shop Build Thread

NH inspection laws don't specifically say anything about wheels.

Really the only NH inspection laws I've found that tend to give us trouble are bumper height (Pickups and APURP classified vehicles like SUVs are allowed 30", my front is at 26" right now.), tire coverage (the biggest one they like to get us for), and some auxiliary lighting laws that don't pertain to me because I don't bother with light bars.

I guess technically since I used regular wheels and welded DIY beadlocks onto them, I could mount the outer bead inside the rim and seat it like a normal rim and would be legit. (Other than the ring welded onto the rim :D ) But there is nothing stated in the NH RSAs about legality of beadlock wheels or DOT approved wheels, or anything at all really. Tech at our shop didn't like how much tire exposure I had to the rear, and asked me to put some mud flaps on it. That's not unreasonable, so I took care of it rather than trying to find someone who would look the other way.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Got rid of the cobra 29wxst and got a standalone cb a week or two ago. Then today I added a 25w dual band ham rig too.

And my wife thought my rig looked silly with ONE big antenna.

Some real nerdy stuff going on here. I don't have a laptop to program my mobile rig, so I needed a 12v power source to power it up next to my desktop. I cut a Molex connector off an old fan I had and got my 12v+ from the computer's power supply. I was really proud of thinking of this and then I googled it and found out that pretty much everyone does it and I'm not special. :(

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX

Quote Originally Posted by FreakinJeep View Post
    Some real nerdy stuff going on here. I don't have a laptop to program my mobile rig, so I needed a 12v power source to power it up next to my desktop. I cut a Molex connector off an old fan I had and got my 12v+ from the computer's power supply. I was really proud of thinking of this and then I googled it and found out that pretty much everyone does it and I'm not special. :(
    Doesn't matter if someone else discovered the same thing, it just means "great minds think alike"! So, you are special... to us anyway :)

Regardless; it's dang clever too.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Found a nice open field and got my antennas tuned up over the weekend, got my engine skid bolted on, and did a final nut and bolt check.

Found a loose castle nut on a tie rod end and one on a ball joint that must have "settled in" since installation. Suddenly my steering is much less vague! Funny, that.

Filled my tank for the second time this year, getting 9 whole mpg! Hooray for v8 swaps, low gears, low speed driving, and big tires!

Pretty much ready for the anniversary run, can't wait!

'97 ZJ

KC1KAX