Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

View Poll Results: What Brand of Tire are you Running

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Year

17 22.08%
  • BFG

19 24.68%
  • TBC

1 1.30%
  • Cooper

8 10.39%
  • Toyo

1 1.30%
  • General

5 6.49%
  • Nitto

4 5.19%
  • Yokohama

3 3.90%
  • Super Swamper

6 7.79%
  • Bridgestone

1 1.30%
  • Firestone

2 2.60%
  • Pro Comp

0 0%
  • Hummer

0 0%
  • Dunlop

0 0%
  • Pitbull

0 0%
  • Maxxis

1 1.30%
  • Dick Cepek

0 0%
  • Hankook

1 1.30%
  • Mickey Thompson

1 1.30%
  • Other

7 9.09%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Talk Tires

Default General Grabber AT2

General Tracker AT2 31X10.50-15 Load Range C

I've run these for a few years and was very satisfied with them. They are quiet on pavement and have great snow/ice performance, certified with the Mountain/Snowflake label.

What is most important here is that the off-road performance is good; mud, rock, snow, etc. I haven't felt the tires held me back.

Wear is tough to evaluate, as they were on a relatively light '88 YJ. There was about half the tread depth with over 30K on them, enough left so they were gladly bought by a co-worker.
    Last edited by BlueberryHill; 12-07-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Decided to separate General and BFG reviews
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Default Goodyear Wrangler Dratracs

I've run these close to 25k mi. They have worn well, still have 14/32 of tread. They did well in the snow last winter, do great on the rocks/dirt and mud. Sidewalls have held up well.
    I'm on 265/75/16 C load (32" equivalent) For a Jeep or mid-size truck they do well. Even at street pressure they have some sidewall flex, as you air down they really start to flex. This is the one Good news/Bad news with them... on-road the soft sidewall results in a bit of lean in a corner. I get more body-roll in corners from the tire than I do from the sway bar removal. If you drive fast and wait till the last moment to change lanes and pretend that your truck or jeep is a race car, SLOW DOWN... these tires would disappoint you as you can't hit a corner hot, you have to slow down BEFORE the turn.
    But if you want a good all-around tire, these are great, and I will cry when GY retires them for a new model.
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Default Firestone Destination AT

I run the Firestone Destination AT on 31x10.5r15. A good on road tire.Very nice road manners would not recommend for ANY off road use. See pic
    Nathan's Phone Pic's 220.jpg

As you may be able to see I am missing a 2x3 area of tread to 2/32 or less... these tires have less than 1k miles and so far the hardest "off road" they saw was a few dirt roads. I have to take it to an "official" Firestone dealer that is an hour+ away so they can evaluate the tire to see if the warranty will cover it.

Anyway I did test it a bit off road after I lost the tread. Does OK at everything but mud. Any mud you will get stuck unless you have high RPM's to clear the mud. If you are looking at these tires go buy the General Grabbers AT2 same money usally and SO much better.
    Last edited by 93bronco; 11-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    '93 Black Ford Bronco, "One Fast Chicken"
    Mostly stock but it was awesome from the factory anyway.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Quote Originally Posted by 93bronco View Post
    I run the Firestone Destination AT on 31x10.5r15. A good on road tire.Very nice road manners would not recommend for ANY off road use. See pic
    Nathan's Phone Pic's 220.jpg

As you may be able to see I am missing a 2x3 area of tread to 2/32 or less... these tires have less than 1k miles and so far the hardest "off road" they saw was a few dirt roads. I have to take it to an "official" Firestone dealer that is an hour+ away so they can evaluate the tire to see if the warranty will cover it.

Anyway I did test it a bit off road after I lost the tread. Does OK at everything but mud. Any mud you will get stuck unless you have high RPM's to clear the mud. If you are looking at these tires go buy the General Grabbers AT2 same money usally and SO much better.
    Ya their Destination MT is a much tougher tire, so it is too bad they kind of failed with these, as I like supporting American/US companies when I can.
    Thanks for your reviews :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's baby.

Ask again in the spring.

And why yes, they're that awesome.
    --
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

I've got two years of pretty hard wheeling on a set of Mastercraft Courser M/XTs. I'm told they're made by Cooper. I originally bought them because they're CHEAP. Pretty sure I got five tires and steel rims for like $1200.00. (I work at a shop that's a Cooper dealer, so I get better pricing, but they're fairly inexpensive regardless.).

They have held up well, and I've never lost a bead despite running 9-12psi on non-beadlocks. I run 35" x 12.5" x 15" on 8" wide wheels, so there's a lot of sidewall sticking out.

They have some chunks taken out, but the treadwear has been good. They do not have as much traction as I'd like, and that is my major fault with them. They are definitely a harder compound, which is why they've been holding up, but I don't feel they have great traction on rocks until aired way down. They are not super flexible, to the point where I've had a lot of people wheeling with me ask if I was aired down when I was at 15 pounds.

I like them enough that I got the A/T version of them for my daily driver, but I think now that I have a DD and I mostly use the TJ for wheeling, I'm going to go with something a little more aggressive and a bit softer whenever I finally wear these things out.
    '99 TJ, 5.9L Magnum V8 swap, Atlas-4, Waggy 44s, Custom link susp F/R, 37" Pitbulls, etc etc etc, OMG what happened to all of my money?
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

'06 Dodge 2500,
    5.7, LT315/70/17 Nittos

'97 ZJ, 2" spacer lift on 30's, 'The Beater' - SOLD

KC1KAX

I wanted to come and complain about my current experience with BF Goodrich A/T KO2s

Last set of tires were 315/70R17 KO1s on a 2005 F250 single cab 5.4, got 40k out of the set, which I was happy with on a 3/4 ton.

Put on a set of 35x12.5R17 KO2s last spring and 15k later they're not wearing as well as the last set.

Not terribly impressed knowing that by 30k they'll be slicks @ $1200 a set, I'll be looking to go to another brand of ATs when the time comes
    91ish Ranger 351W Narrowed HP D44 SAS 14 Bolt C&C rear 39s 4.88s Locked F+R
    67 Kaiser/Jeep M715 38s 5.89 gears Running Project

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I wanted to come and complain about my current experience with BF Goodrich A/T KO2sLast set of tires were 315/70R17 KO1s on a 2005 F250 single cab 5.4, got 40k out of the set, which I was happy with on a 3/4 ton.Put on a set of 35x12.5R17 KO2s last spring and 15k later they're not wearing as well as the last set. Not terribly impressed knowing that by 30k they'll be slicks @ $1200 a set, I'll be looking to go to another brand of ATs when the time comes
    WOW... and that's with regular rotations? Have you considered Tredwrights? I know they're retreads and some don't trust them but there are just as many that swear by them... at 1/2 the price.
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    WOW... and that's with regular rotations? Have you considered Tredwrights? I know they're retreads and some don't trust them but there are just as many that swear by them... at 1/2 the price.
    Yup I'm pretty good about doing rotations.

Looked into Treadwrights years ago for another truck, never considered them for something this heavy, and I've always had good luck with BFGs until this set. I'll look into them again.

I am running Cooper STT Pro's 37/13.5/17 and so far I love them. They have a bunch of miles on them and still plenty of tread. They are fairly smooth and quiet for an MT and they have always balanced perfectly. They do incredible off road and aren't bad on road. So far so good.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Looked into Treadwrights years ago for another truck, never considered them for something this heavy, and I've always had good luck with BFGs until this set. I'll look into them again.
    I looked into Treadwrights a few years ago and decided there wasn't enough difference in cost to justify. I've run them before, years ago on an XJ when it was High-Tec Retreading and was happy with them, but some of the reviews were less than complimentary when I was considering them for Mary-Anne. I ended up with the Generals for not too much more money and was very happy with them.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Yup I'm pretty good about doing rotations.

Ranger is heavy? The bead-to-bead remolds are much better than when they just recapped, but the limiting factor is still the carcasses. BUT their reviews have improved since the BtB.

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    I am running Cooper STT Pro's 37/13.5/17 and so far I love them. They have a bunch of miles on them and still plenty of tread. They are fairly smooth and quiet for an MT and they have always balanced perfectly. They do incredible off road and aren't bad on road. So far so good.
    Have you had them in snow?
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X

Ranger is heavy? The bead-to-bead remolds are much better than when they just recapped, but the limiting factor is still the carcasses. BUT their reviews have improved since the BtB.

Have you had them in snow?
    Yes I ran them last winter and they were better than I expected. Not as good as my Cooper ST Maxx's from a few winters ago but when it snowed I just aired them down a few PSI and had much better traction. Overall I would have no issue running them all winter.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Ranger is heavy?

First post I said this was on my DD F250, it's not sig worthy!

First post I said this was on my DD F250, it's not sig worthy!
    OH, my bad....
    Last edited by mtyler11; 11-29-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X