Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

View Poll Results: What Brand of Tire are you Running

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Year

20 22.47%
  • BFG

21 23.60%
  • TBC

1 1.12%
  • Cooper

8 8.99%
  • Toyo

1 1.12%
  • General

5 5.62%
  • Nitto

4 4.49%
  • Yokohama

4 4.49%
  • Super Swamper

6 6.74%
  • Bridgestone

1 1.12%
  • Firestone

2 2.25%
  • Pro Comp

0 0%
  • Hummer

0 0%
  • Dunlop

0 0%
  • Pitbull

0 0%
  • Maxxis

2 2.25%
  • Dick Cepek

0 0%
  • Hankook

1 1.12%
  • Mickey Thompson

1 1.12%
  • Other

12 13.48%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Tech Talk Tires

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    I love my Cooper STT Pro's. They are awesome off-road, good on-road and are quieter than any tire that I have owned so far. I am definitely going to get another set when these are done. I have about 20k on them and they still have decent tread and are going on the Moab trip. Bob got a set in 35" so you can ask him about his experience with those and XJ_Dave just got a set of 37's. I air them down to between 8 - 12 depending on the wheeling and have had great experiences with them.

I can't speak for the other tires, just the ones that I have now.
    Are you running beadlocks or nah?

Curious if anyone has run Treadwright tires....I'm seriously considering a set in the spring, would love some input. The Jeep community seems to like them, especially for the cost.
    -- Jason
    Join my Facebook Group - New Hampshire Jeeps (just search for us)

2013 Jeep JK Unlimited
    3.6l, Auto,
    Rock Lobster Red - 265/75/R16 Kumho AT51's, stock suspension, recently paid off and plans for lift and tires/wheels in the spring

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFreak81 View Post
    Curious if anyone has run Treadwright tires....I'm seriously considering a set in the spring, would love some input. The Jeep community seems to like them, especially for the cost.
    Drove from Dover, NH to Columbia South America in a D110 with them, so ya, we liked them. No flats(had 2 spares and wheeled Rausch Creek on the way down), never had to add air, never rebalanced(and let me tell you...the roads were not nice!), wore like iron, gripped well. No problems and no delamination(early models). Two thumbs up from us. Would run them again.
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.
    Why buy a Wrangler if you don't take the top and doors off?
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Jeepfreak, I had treadwright guad dogs on my 02 chevy 1500 which saw plenty of moderate off roading, and TONS of driving I90 from lowell to albany in the ugly winter of 2014-2015 (had to visit the old lady while i was in college). we are talking 4-8 inches at 30-60mph sustained, late at night.

Those tires kick major ass, especially for the price, especially with kedge grip. IF you run them for a million miles over a few sets, maybe you'd see some issues with one, but my experience was EXCEPTIONAL. THat being said i don't care about noise. they were noisy once worn.
    -Ben

- 1988 k5 Blazer, tons, Locked rear, 40s, hydro, long travel springs

- Tilton NH

Until I stop seeing shards of retreads on the interstates, for an on road vehicle I will not use Treadwright.
    Yes, LOTS of good feedback on them to be sure, and for an offroad trailer queen, hell ya for the savings.
    Gone now :( -2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2" BB, 4.88's, TT F&R, 33x10.5 km2's, xrc8 winch, uniden pro xl520 cb, 4' wilson
    Gone now too :( -2008 Rubicon, uniden pro xl520 cb, 5' wilson Silver Load, JCR engine skid, JCR evap skid
    Present-2012 JK Sahara-275/70r18 KO2's, Smitty engine skid, Rancho 2" sport spring lift, Warn vr10, Rockhard stock bumper winch plate, same ol' Uniden Pro xl520 CB still, 3' Wilson Silverload on Teraflex spare tire antenna mount

Buy a Gazetteer

MappingNH Trail Scout

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Until I stop seeing shards of retreads on the interstates, for an on road vehicle I will not use Treadwright.
    Yes, LOTS of good feedback on them to be sure, and for an offroad trailer queen, hell ya for the savings.
    Those are 18-wheelers caps. TreadWright no longer uses just the tread portion "caps". They are remanufactured down the sidewall now...just so you all know ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a tall lift, big mud tires, winch, and a light bar simply do not.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd6th View Post
    Jeepfreak, I had treadwright guad dogs on my 02 chevy 1500 which saw plenty of moderate off roading, and TONS of driving I90 from lowell to albany in the ugly winter of 2014-2015 (had to visit the old lady while i was in college). we are talking 4-8 inches at 30-60mph sustained, late at night.

Those tires kick major ass, especially for the price, especially with kedge grip. IF you run them for a million miles over a few sets, maybe you'd see some issues with one, but my experience was EXCEPTIONAL. THat being said i don't care about noise. they were noisy once worn.
    Ya I don't care about noise either and those are exactly the ones I was looking at...so they're on my radar once I put a small lift in next spring hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Not that the internet crowd is all inclusive but I've never heard of that happening with these, When I first heard about them I had the same thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Those are 18-wheelers caps. TreadWright no longer uses just the tread portion "caps". They are remanufactured down the sidewall now...just so you all know ;)
    Good to know! I knew they weren't the same as caps but didn't know that's how they were re-manufactured.
    -- Jason
    Join my Facebook Group - New Hampshire Jeeps (just search for us)

2013 Jeep JK Unlimited
    3.6l, Auto,
    Rock Lobster Red - 265/75/R16 Kumho AT51's, stock suspension, recently paid off and plans for lift and tires/wheels in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFreak81 View Post
    Good to know! I knew they weren't the same as caps but didn't know that's how they were re-manufactured.
    The only thing bad I've heard about them was they can be hard to balance. But that was back when they were still doing caps and transitioning over to full molds.
    Just be sure to inspect them upon arrival and use a good, trusted tire shop. If they complain about 1 tire taking alot more weight to balance out, call TW.
    Again, 90%of the negative stuff is from several yrs ago during the changeover. I expect a new process to have some teething pains
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & HeftyFab bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----3" lift, Heftyfab skids & winch bumper, Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

I've almost pulled the trigger on treadwrights so many times. SOmething always stops me
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 285/75r16 Grabber ATX, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift, 2.9l hamster-power, Blue Pig sticker mod, James Duff Bumper (Warn m8000 winch)

Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    I've almost pulled the trigger on treadwrights so many times. SOmething always stops me
    For me; it was that there wasn't enough of a savings over top of the line tires (BFG KO2'S) at Sullivan by the time mounting and lifetime balance and rotation are figured in.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.10 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    The only thing bad I've heard about them was they can be hard to balance. But that was back when they were still doing caps and transitioning over to full molds.
    Just be sure to inspect them upon arrival and use a good, trusted tire shop. If they complain about 1 tire taking alot more weight to balance out, call TW.
    Again, 90%of the negative stuff is from several yrs ago during the changeover. I expect a new process to have some teething pains
    As I am sure you know Tyler, but for the benefit of our readers...trying to balance tires at the rim will always take more weight than needed. A much better way to reduce the amount of balancing weight and to never have to balance them again is to use balancing beads. Plus they:
    * are cheaper than conventional balancing
    * no ugly weights to mark up your wheels
    * no weights to fly off
    * no need to take the time and gas to go back to the tire shop each time for re-balancing
    * no risk of damage to your wheels from each trip to the garage
    * tires last longer since they are always balanced
    * steering components last longer because they are not being shaken by out of balance tires
    * will even automatically compensate the balance if you get some snow or mud stuck to your rim