Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

View Poll Results: What Brand of Tire are you Running

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Year

17 22.37%
  • BFG

18 23.68%
  • TBC

1 1.32%
  • Cooper

8 10.53%
  • Toyo

1 1.32%
  • General

5 6.58%
  • Nitto

4 5.26%
  • Yokohama

3 3.95%
  • Super Swamper

6 7.89%
  • Bridgestone

1 1.32%
  • Firestone

2 2.63%
  • Pro Comp

0 0%
  • Hummer

0 0%
  • Dunlop

0 0%
  • Pitbull

0 0%
  • Maxxis

1 1.32%
  • Dick Cepek

0 0%
  • Hankook

1 1.32%
  • Mickey Thompson

1 1.32%
  • Other

7 9.21%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Tech Talk Tires

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    I've been wheeling on 265/75/16 Duratracs for several yrs. No issues. The rubbing at lock (on 33s) some talk of is Very minor and die to tire-rim choice. On stock rim the KO shouldnt rub. Slap on a 2 to 3 inch lift and lca cam bolts and you're good. You can also do a little trim to the liner for even more room. Theres a writeup on CF, I'll link when i get to my computer.
    Biggest need on more than stock trail is skids & sliders.
    The size difference of 32 to 33 is not enough to sweat with the short wheelbase of an X... do you have Offroad pkg?
    Unfortunately it's the S model so not currently a locker in the rear. I've been looking into a rear axle swap with a re-gear to 3.69, or throwing ARB front and rear lockers and re-gearing the c200 to 4.10. The former is easier but axles are becoming harder to find. It's something on my extended to-do/research list.

I've been doing my research on thenewx, which has been really great.

I've currently have extended Radflo's for about a 2.5" lift, SPC UCAs and the adjustable cam bolts installed (through Greg @ PRG). Hefty front aluminum bumper installed (winch on the way), a Maxterra swing arm rear bumper ordered, P&P sliders installed, with Hefty Aluminum skids about to be ordered. I know...skids and sliders...a little backwards...

With all the tire research there I was just making sure about a more local advice. I thought I had ruled out 255s but with all of your thoughts I'll take another look at it.
    2014 Nissan Xterra S: Extended Radflos (2.5" Lift), SPC UCAs, Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Bumper, P&P Engineering Level III Sliders.

Member: Tread Lightly!, Overland Bound (#13805)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Like I always say, "skid plates first".
    I have run 7" wide rims with up to a 12.5" wide tire. Just need to run lower tire pressure for a more even tire wear, which gives a better ride, albeit maybe not the best fuel mileage as a result.
    I agree with Sean, I would run 255's if I were you, as this potentially solves body contact, rim width, and like Scott wrote, the many issues with added weight.
    I hope this helps and wish you good luck in whatever you decide on.
    The Cooper Discoverer Tire in 255/85 R16 (the only AT I can find) was listed at 59lbs., which is slightly more than the KO2's at 285 that were 58.4lbs.. As far as I can tell, it's pretty similar in terms of weight and MPG. I remember reading the guy who switched from 255 to 285 wrote he didn't notice any change.

Now I'm wondering with running a 255 I should expect a little less weight capability?
    2014 Nissan Xterra S: Extended Radflos (2.5" Lift), SPC UCAs, Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Bumper, P&P Engineering Level III Sliders.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by higgo View Post
    Truth.
    It's not how hard the trails are, it's how hard the trails are *for you*. Over build, and you walk over everything and it's boring. Then you sell your rig and give up wheeling because there isn't enough challenge.
    Several in here have downsized for that reason. You know who you are...
    Exactly!

...but there is plenty of glory available if you are the smallest guy that walks over something when everybody expects you to fail...
    Been there, done that ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
    The Cooper Discoverer Tire in 255/85 R16 (the only AT I can find) was listed at 59lbs., which is slightly more than the KO2's at 285 that were 58.4lbs.. As far as I can tell, it's pretty similar in terms of weight and MPG. I remember reading the guy who switched from 255 to 285 wrote he didn't notice any change.
    Now I'm wondering with running a 255 I should expect a little less weight capability?
    I have always liked Cooper tires. My girlfriend got the S/T MAXX last year for her new-to-her 2012 Jeep JK 2-door and she really likes them. They have been great in the snow too.

The 255/85R16 S/T MAXX looks to be 58 pounds on their website. Being load E/10-ply rated, I can tell you that hers are not light. Also each tire in the size you are looking at states that it hold 3,415 pounds, so that is 13,660 total weight capability, which I believe is way more than your vehicle should ever need, thus no worries there :)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

... not currently a locker in the rear. I've been looking into a rear axle swap with a re-gear to 3.69, or throwing ARB front and rear lockers and re-gearing the c200 to 4.10. The former is easier but axles are becoming harder to find. It's something on my extended to-do/research list.
    ... I've currently have extended Radflo's for about a 2.5" lift, SPC UCAs and the adjustable cam bolts installed (through Greg @ PRG). Hefty front aluminum bumper installed (winch on the way), a Maxterra swing arm rear bumper ordered, P&P sliders installed, with Hefty Aluminum skids about to be ordered. I know...skids and sliders...a little backwards... ...
    I can tell you from experience, the HF Aluminum skids are nice, but if you think you might, even a little, run moderate to hard trails, you want steel engine and gas skids at a minimum... Being you've already got the winch bumper and Maxterra's swingout, I suspect you'll be tackling mod at least... I managed to give the gas tank a real good hit and the aluminum gave way... it's because of how they designed the ear mount to the frame... not enough structure tying it together... the engine skid I taco'd on a C6, repetitive strikes... it lasted for 2 yrs, but with something like that you want it to last alot longer than that.... The transmission and transfer case are fine to have aluminum.
    For the weight of a midsize truck/suv, a Load C in 255/85 is plenty.... Load E is just gravy.... Keep in mind, just because someone says its an MT doesn't mean it really is... or won't wear and drive like an AT....

eg. TireRack categorizes the Goodyear Duratrac as a Commercial Traction... it's a hybrid of AT & MT.... Even the BFG MT KM3 have great on-road traction (per many reviews)... A friend runs Toyo MTs on his Cherokee and he swears hands down, the best traction tire ever, in nearly all conditions. Only thing he admits is that premium snow tires do slightly better on ice...

If you are concerned about mpg, just run 32s. it won't severely hamper you BECAUSE of the shorter wheelbase.... I got an Xterra in the fall, and the maneuverability of the X over the Frontier is incredible. Things I touch in the Frontier (with 2.5" actual lift) touch in the X with NO LIFT. Both on 32s.... once the lift is complete, the X won't touch in those spots at all.... Then when you decide which direction you will go (m226 axles or regear c200) by then you'll probably be ready for new tires anyway...

ohbytheway.... 4.10 would be overkill for 33" tires... RR has 3.69 available for c200 now.... The guys singing 4.10 on 33s (in an automatic) are only worried about crawl ratio and sacrifice highway/mpg....
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

Over build, and you walk over everything and it's boring. Then you sell your rig and give up wheeling because there isn't enough challenge.
    This is something to really watch out for. Agnes wound up where she for various reasons, but she is seriously overbuilt for most of the Class VI roads. That's ok, I take on harder stuff on private property runs, but yeah, she can walk over most stuff and that actually gets boring. Then you find the hard stuff and that can sometimes be terrifying.

Here she is doing something not terrifying at Rausch Creek last summer. This was actually pretty easy. But I encountered so many obstacles down there I wouldn't attempt because of fear, not because I thought she couldn't do them.

--
    Agnes - 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) - 4 cylinder 35" MTRs, SM465, RockTrac, 3.5" Black Diamond Suspension SUA, Ford 8.8, HPD30 w/vacuum disconnect w/4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, front shackle reversal, rear revolvers, lotsa skids, Bullet Proof steer modified, flat belly, engine relocation, Mastercraft seats with PRP 5 point harness
    Ruby - 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock Rubicon - bone stock except for Rock Hard skids, diff armor

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    I can tell you from experience, the HF Aluminum skids are nice, but if you think you might, even a little, run moderate to hard trails, you want steel engine and gas skids at a minimum... Being you've already got the winch bumper and Maxterra's swingout, I suspect you'll be tackling mod at least... I managed to give the gas tank a real good hit and the aluminum gave way... it's because of how they designed the ear mount to the frame... not enough structure tying it together... the engine skid I taco'd on a C6, repetitive strikes... it lasted for 2 yrs, but with something like that you want it to last alot longer than that.... The transmission and transfer case are fine to have aluminum.

For the weight of a midsize truck/suv, a Load C in 255/85 is plenty.... Load E is just gravy.... Keep in mind, just because someone says its an MT doesn't mean it really is... or won't wear and drive like an AT....

eg. TireRack categorizes the Goodyear Duratrac as a Commercial Traction... it's a hybrid of AT & MT.... Even the BFG MT KM3 have great on-road traction (per many reviews)... A friend runs Toyo MTs on his Cherokee and he swears hands down, the best traction tire ever, in nearly all conditions. Only thing he admits is that premium snow tires do slightly better on ice...

If you are concerned about mpg, just run 32s. it won't severely hamper you BECAUSE of the shorter wheelbase.... I got an Xterra in the fall, and the maneuverability of the X over the Frontier is incredible. Things I touch in the Frontier (with 2.5" actual lift) touch in the X with NO LIFT. Both on 32s.... once the lift is complete, the X won't touch in those spots at all.... Then when you decide which direction you will go (m226 axles or regear c200) by then you'll probably be ready for new tires anyway...

ohbytheway.... 4.10 would be overkill for 33" tires... RR has 3.69 available for c200 now.... The guys singing 4.10 on 33s (in an automatic) are only worried about crawl ratio and sacrifice highway/mpg....
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look at going steel in certain areas and aluminum in others. It's good to hear real world experience over just researching.

I didn't realize RR had added 3.69 for the c200. When I first started planning they only offered the 4.10, which was why I was going that way. I kind of regret not picking up the Pro-4x, not realizing the difference in rears at the time.

It's funny about the Duratracs, because when I bought my last tires I had wanted them and the guy was like "Those are commercial Tires. Nobody runs those." I always get a little nervous when I'm looking at MT's because of the snow. I saw one of my co-workers was running MT's on his Jeep this winter and was going to ask how they were performing. Some times the Girlfriend borrows the X so I wanted to make sure the traction isn't going to give out on her.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look at going steel in certain areas and aluminum in others. It's good to hear real world experience over just researching.

I didn't realize RR had added 3.69 for the c200. When I first started planning they only offered the 4.10, which was why I was going that way. I kind of regret not picking up the Pro-4x, not realizing the difference in rears at the time.

It's funny about the Duratracs, because when I bought my last tires I had wanted them and the guy was like "Those are commercial Tires. Nobody runs those." I always get a little nervous when I'm looking at MT's because of the snow. I saw one of my co-workers was running MT's on his Jeep this winter and was going to ask how they were performing. Some times the Girlfriend borrows the X so I wanted to make sure the traction isn't going to give out on her.
    Ya, at this point RR offers (in c200) .13 .36 .69 & 4.10 Interesting, teh .69 indicates its a Nissan gear versus Steven's private supplier for the 4.10 and 3.73 & 4.56 for the m226... I had heard rumors nissan was moving away from the Dana center, which is a shame, as that will end hte option of TruTrac in the rear...

On the Frontier forum, Duratracs are one of the main tires, along with BFG. They are a good all-around tire. Great dry, wet, mud & rock traction. Snow is pretty good, ice is fair.
    Wear on them has been very good. The Frontier has had them for 3 yrs. 30k mi and they're still at 12/32, so still over 1/2 treadlife (full tread is 18/32). Running Load C. There is a little sidewall lean in the corners, about the same as a Pmetric (suv/car) tire.
    When you replace your tires, no matter what you swap to, go easy the first few days in the corners as you get to feel how the tires react. Swapping back&forth from the Frontier to the X I have to remind myself they lean & turn in differently......
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

MappingNH Trail Scout

Wink

A lot of the what I call crossover tires(less serious MT/more aggressive AT) have the Three-Peak Mountain Snow Flake(3PMSF) rating/symbol, so that ensures that it will perform the best in those conditions, but still obviously not as good as a dedicated snow/winter tire. Thus you will want to look/check for that, if this is a concern. Again, good luck in whatever you get.

Name:  3pmsf.png
Views: 54
Size:  7.1 KB
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.

A lot of the what I call crossover tires(less serious MT/more aggressive AT) have the Three-Peak Mountain Snow Flake(3PMSF) rating/symbol, so that ensures that it will perform the best in those conditions, but still obviously not as good as a dedicated snow/winter tire. Thus you will want to look/check for that, if this is a concern. Again, good luck in whatever you get.

Name:  3pmsf.png
Views: 54
Size:  7.1 KB
    I have had great luck with Cooper St Maxx in the snow. The stt pro...not so much of course
    "I hope you get hit by a goose, right in the sway bar!" -anon

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

MappingNH Trail Scout

Thumbs up

...I have always liked Cooper tires. My girlfriend got the S/T MAXX last year for her new-to-her 2012 Jeep JK 2-door and she really likes them. They have been great in the snow too....
    Quote Originally Posted by ecgreen View Post
    I have had great luck with Cooper St Maxx in the snow...
    I see a pattern starting here ;)

I am on my 3rd set of Coopers. First set was Cooper ST's which were decent on road and acceptable off-road. I sold these and switched over to Cooper STT Pros which I love. They are decent on road and awesome offroad. They have worn well and I am now on my second set of Cooper STT Pros because of my experiences with the first set.
    Paul (FSHJNKY)

Quote Originally Posted by FSHJNKY View Post
    I am on my 3rd set of Coopers. First set was Cooper ST's which were decent on road and acceptable off-road. I sold these and switched over to Cooper STT Pros which I love. They are decent on road and awesome offroad. They have worn well and I am now on my second set of Cooper STT Pros because of my experiences with the first set.
    I liked my stt pros alot.l off-road
    Super sticky

2015 Tacoma Access 4-banger (aka 'Scratchy') -> 255/85r16 ST Maxx, FJC wheels, 3" OME 887s/full dakar pack, CBI sliders and full skids, Pelfreybilt Hybrid bumper, ****tybilt 9.5 XRC winch, sway bar go by bye, ARB on-board air, many many zip-tie
    1989 Ford Bronco II (aka 'Babe the Blue Pig') -> 31x10.5r15 Cheap ATs, 1.5" lift (RC coils/shocks and WULF shackles), 2.9l hamster-power

I see a pattern starting here ;)
    There really is no other tire like it on the market right now thatvI am aware of. There are a true hybrid tire. They are very road friendly and super tough off road. They also wear very well for an almost mud tire. I would say the duratracs are the next closest thing.

We are running the Centennial (kanati) trail hog in a 37 on two of our trucks. Similar concept to the duratrac but balance better and quieter. Have been better in the snow too
    Outfitter Design LLC- Owner 1 of 2
    2006 Red H3 Adventure/ luxury- 37" iroks, OD tierods, OD steering kit, OD IFS HP Dana 44 diff /ziplock, Np241 T-case, 6.0L VVT/ 6L90

2006 Black H3 Adventure/ Lux 5 speed manual- OD diff bushings
    2008 Black H3 Alpha- OD tierods, OD steering kit, OD LCA bushing kit, OD IFS HP Dana 44 diff/ TruTrac
    2008 Victory Red H3x Alpha -Stockish
    2007 Black H3 Luxury- future wheeling pig -------2009 Black H3T base- Fuel Beast wheels

I just picked up a set of Kanati mud hogs for better on the road driving. once I start driving it I'll update to how they ride and handle off road.

Retired my Kevlar MTRs