Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Best Hiking Boot....Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mtyler11 View Post
    wow... I better not ask you to pick me up a lotto ticket... you might consider getting a 'breathable' shoe/boot and a gore-tex bootie... or you may have to go top tier.
    sucks that everywhere you turn is cheap chinese crap and even spending decent money doesn't get you anything
    Naw,you wanna play you gotta pay.Bought a set of USA built Keen work boots about 2 months ago and they are holding up just fine for being in a nasty 10 hour day work environment.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

wow... I better not ask you to pick me up a lotto ticket... you might consider getting a 'breathable' shoe/boot and a gore-tex bootie... or you may have to go top tier.
    sucks that everywhere you turn is cheap chinese crap and even spending decent money doesn't get you anything
    These boots supposedly had their version of the waterproof/breathable membrane. It seems that I have only had luck with Gore-Tex as you wrote, but the Keen boots are in second place for theirs holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by agent smith View Post
    Naw,you wanna play you gotta pay.Bought a set of USA built Keen work boots about 2 months ago and they are holding up just fine for being in a nasty 10 hour day work environment.
    Bootleggers had some proudly labeled "USA MADE" Keen boots on their shelves, but I just hate to gamble away more money hoping they last. I will just keep buying Powerball tickets occasionally to wishfully be able to buy what I want someday ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

MappingNH Trail Scout

Smile Goodbye Keen, hello/back too Bean

Well my Keen boots finally started leaking pretty bad a couple of weeks ago. They were put into daily work duty a few months back and they just could not take it I guess. I have done several contact cement and Shoe Goo glue jobs to try and keep the sole together, but with my jobs oils and chemicals, they just don't hold. So I gave up and got these, well actually Erin bought them on sale for my Keen's price of $135(seen them as low as $125) for my birthday:

Name:  296443_116_42.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  9.1 KB
    L.L. Bean's Knife Edge Hiking Boots

All the guys at work run them, and the owner even bought a second pair, because he said it has been the best boot he has ever owned. I like the full grain upper and the Vibram sole when I saw them in the stores while holiday shopping this past winter. Though admittedly I was less enthused when I saw they used their TEK waterproof/breathable membrane, as the earlier version only lasted a couple of months in a boot before leaking horribly when I tried it a few years back. I only have worn these for a couple of days, so we will see how long this iteration will last in these. But just in case, I also bought different pair with the much better Gore-Tex membrane from Tractor Supply at an even cheaper price of $108(surprising price for a boot with Gore-Tex):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FQ0005212_LARGE.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	31691
    Rocky 6" Ridgetop Hiker

I don't really care for the nubuck leather upper, nor the not stitched and non-Vibram sole, but do like the wide option, plus have always liked the Rocky brand from back in my hiking and Appalachian trail days. Time will tell for these too I guess, but have wheeled with them once(plenty of out-of-vehicle time) and found to be very cushy and thus comfortable so far. Wish me good luck!
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Update on the Bean/Knife's Edge boot that I have been wearing at work for a few days. I waterproofed the leather with Sno-Seal, to help them last longer, and not to solely rely on the waterproof/breathable membrane underneath. They have been very waterproof so far, and any water just beads up on the surface still. Just for reference, my Keens would be soaked through in minutes while doing my job. Having dry feet is nice :)

What is not so nice, is when going across the side of hills(not straight up or down) my feet slide around on the rather slippery insole. Also a note, is that the insoles are rather thin and cheap feeling, so maybe an upgrade is needed there.

Another point, is that they do not offer wide sizing. I have wide feet, so all my footwear needs to be wider, but these are not too bad with just the toes on my right foot being a little cramped, though not too bad considering. So I would say they run on the wide/roomier side of the standard medium width measurement. As for length, they seem to run true to size.

Hope this helps someone, and thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Update on the Bean/Knife's Edge boot that I have been wearing at work for a few days. I waterproofed the leather with Sno-Seal, to help them last longer, and not to solely rely on the waterproof/breathable membrane underneath. They have been very waterproof so far, and any water just beads up on the surface still. Just for reference, my Keens would be soaked through in minutes while doing my job. Having dry feet is nice :)

What is not so nice, is when going across the side of hills(not straight up or down) my feet slide around on the rather slippery insole. Also a note, is that the insoles are rather thin and cheap feeling, so maybe an upgrade is needed there.

Another point, is that they do not offer wide sizing. I have wide feet, so all my footwear needs to be wider, but these are not too bad with just the toes on my right foot being a little cramped, though not too bad considering. So I would say they run on the wide/roomier side of the standard medium width measurement. As for length, they seem to run true to size.

Hope this helps someone, and thank you for reading.
    I feel you with the wide foot... But if your foot is sliding around, are you sure they are tight enough (through the base of the foot & heelcup)? Every boot I've had that did that, were too wide. (mostly my military lineman's/climbers boots)
    -TYLER - - Illegitimi non carborundum - -
    '14 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 Auto
    -----3" lift with Nisstec MK84 coilovers & OME leafs, HeftyFab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, WARN Winch & bumper, 32" Duratracs
    '15 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
    -----Heftyfab skids & Whiteknuckle sliders, 32" Duratracs

MappingNH Trail Scout

Smile

I feel you with the wide foot... But if your foot is sliding around, are you sure they are tight enough (through the base of the foot & heelcup)? Every boot I've had that did that, were too wide. (mostly my military lineman's/climbers boots)
    Thanks for the input Tyler! :)
    Definitely not too wide, because as stated, my toes are cramped, and cannot separate them in the boot. Still not totally broken in yet too. And with the way the lacing works, it is difficult to get the foot area tight, however the ankle area has the ability to be made much tighter. Let me clarify that my foot is not so much sliding sideways, as it is able to twist/rotate a little inside the boot. It is more of an annoyance than a real issue. I have tried several different socks, including EMS and the Darn Tough brand(which are wonderful by the way), and it happens with them all, so I don't think it is just slippery socks. Maybe once they fully break in, they will be better, and better insoles will help for sure.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Unhappy

Another update on the Bean/Knife's Edge boots:
    With only a couple of weeks worth of use, the rubber toe guard has started to pull away from the leather upper in two spots on one boot. The other 3 guys at work are not having this issue, and they have had theirs for a lot longer than I have had mine. My bad luck with boots continues... So it looks like I will be returning these, but only after they start leaking, it needs another Sno-Seal application, or right before the year(no longer lifetime) warranty expires ;)

MappingNH Trail Scout

Arrow More updates...

I did return those Bean boots ^

Still have my last pair of Keen boots, even though they leak and I have given up constantly gluing the soles back on. Managed to grab them during the fire, so they are my only hiking boot right now. The traction is so poor in the snow though, same as Erin's boots. It was apparent the last snow hike we did, as those Rocky boots I wore that day had much much more traction.

...I recently tried a pair of Darn Tough socks and they STILL haven't shown any sign of wear. They also result in Very little sweating (Yea! no swamp foot! ) and don't stink after a day of wearing (naturally anti-microbial) AND they have a lifetime no-argument guarantee....
    My boss got me a pair last summer, because of my swamp feet...and I am sold! They are the best socks in my arsenal :)

KEENS. all i have worn for the past 10 years, yes they do fail eventually though. But very comfy boots. work great. Put the mink oil to em to waterproof em some.

MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Deepwoodsman View Post
    KEENS. all i have worn for the past 10 years, yes they do fail eventually though. But very comfy boots. work great. Put the mink oil to em to waterproof em some.
    Agreed that they are very comfortable, but mink oil does not stop leaking through the nylon, and does not hold the soles on...not even Goop lasts very long repairing that :(

The Rocky boots I have previously posted about are doing real well. They are still keeping my feet dry and have tenacious grip. Just wish the wide sizes were even wider in the toe-box area, like the Keens. Just checked and the Rocky Ridgetop Hikers are on sale for just $96, compared to the Been Knife Edge boots which are also on sale, now for $119. Decisions, decisions...