Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum/Extended Equipment List suggestion and shopping guide

I agree with Paul a map and compass is a great idea. I try to use these when possible so my skills don't get rusty. It is hard to argue against a good gps though.

I like his idea of extra fluids. I always had some in my car when I was a kid.......I guess because all my cars leaked something.

Great ideas!

Not recovery gear, but I always like to have a few nature valley bars(or some equivalent), bottles of water, and either a lighter or a book of matches stashed away.
    Last edited by Bangarang; 03-09-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangarang View Post
    Not recovery gear, but I always like to have a few nature valley bars(or some equivalent), bottles of water, and either a lighter or a book of matches stashed away.
    Beef Jerky!!!
    MIKE
    Member: Tread Lightly
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by sptrmike View Post
    Beef Jerky!!!
    -Sam
    Audrey 1995 YJ Unlimited (LJ Stretch) SOA on 35's with Cherokee 4.0 / AW4

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Currie 4", 1"BL 35 MTR Kevlars on Moabs, Sold
    BETTY, aka...94 SE, Stroked 4.6, 4" lift,1" Booms,1" BL, , D30, w/ Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD. SOLD
    2013 GMC Duramax 2500 Crewcab, on 33's

water
    ......I didn't get a Jeep to go fast......
    "Jeep is the only true American sports car."-Enzo Ferrari

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bangarang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlclan View Post
    water
    Just three posts ago--thanks for reading.
    But yes, every time and it can be used for drinking, washing, cooling(you and a rig ;), etc...
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

cda is offline Purveyor of Shenanigans Supporting Member Tier 1
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

During the summer I'm not as careful about it, but this one is easy! When I go wheeling in the early spring / late fall I always have a compression sack with of a complete change of clothes in the bed box.

Cold and wet is just about the worst. I learned this the hard way by ingesting water into my intake and oil pan during a water crossing, it was raining and I ended up having to get in the water to hookup the strap to the front. When you're wet and the motor doesn't run you develop Hypothermia quickly. I couldn't even read AAA my member number when we finally got to cell service. Hypothermia sets in quickly when the heater goes away It was a lesson learned the hard way.

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Thanks for sharing and it is scary ^, but it can happen, even in the summer, ask me how I know ;)
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

A couple of new items added and some links updated. Also posted in a new format here:

http://exploringnh.com/home/equipment/

Thumbs up

All great info, and a good idea to bump it. There's a lot of us noobs joining up recently.

Shovel: I picked up a couple of Army surplus folding shovels for $20 each at Metro West Surplus Army Navy in West Boylston. These are the real deal, can even be used as an axe if necessary, and you can usually find them with the original case. facebook.com/MetroWestSurplus

A couple of recommendations on the chain saw. Get one with a good chain brake, it has to be able to stop the chain at full throttle, and it should be weighted to work as an inertia brake. I test mine every now and then; with the saw NOT running I hold the saw so the end of the bar is about a foot above a stump and let it fall while holding the handle, the brake snaps shut. That's critical to stop the chain in the event of kick-back. Keep FRESH fuel and start it often, use only premium and dump it after no more than two months. I put left-overs in the tractor's gas tank, it doesn't care that there's a little pre-mix in it.

On the air-down thing: I picked this up at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-H...Gauge/17128846 I changed the gauge with one from an extra tire pressure gauge I had laying around to make it easier to read.

Almost forgot; I really like the new format, looks nice and it's easy to follow.
    Last edited by BlueberryHill; 12-17-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Mary Anne: 1988 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36 DGEV, AX15/231/SYE, 4.11 HP-D30 & non c-clip D35 w/Truetrac, 33" KO2's, BDS 2" lift, a bunch of skid plates, Warn 9.5ti

Boomer: 1997 Ram 2500 4X4, Cummins 12V, 47RE, work in progress...

The Ancient and Honorable Society of the Leaf Spring
    Tread Lightly!
    KC1EIJ WQZJ411

Great thread. Its good to have a checklist of stuff. Now I know what I need to buy!

Jeepin is offline Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Project Lead
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Another bump for newcomers. Post 1 of this thread has some very good information.
    /_/[]||||||[]\_\
    Crawler: 90' YJ, 4.0L, 35x13.5 BFG Krawlers, MT Wheels, Coyote Double Beadlocks, SOA Lift, Shackle Reversal, HP D30, Ford 8.8, Aussie Locked F&R, Rocky Road OTT Steering, SYE, Bilstein Shocks, XRC8 Winch, Full Cage, Armor and Dents.
    (Oo\||||||/oO)
    Daily Driver / Overlander: 04 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, 3 OME Lift, 1 Spacers, 32 Duratracs, JK Wheels, Bilstein Shocks, Superwinch, Fawkes Minimax / Detours Recovery, Rola Roof Rack, Safari Doors.

R&R in Hooksett has 12v compressor's for $40. I picked one up because my girlfriend's beetle has a slow leak. I wouldn't trust it any more than something else from R&R or Harbor Freight, but its something. Took about a minute to get from 25 psi to 35.

Like my old man says, Harbor Freight is the titty bar of tool stores; its all cheap garbage, but when its hanging in front of your face its pretty hard to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by 87Harley04TJ View Post
    R&R in Hooksett has 12v compressor's for $40. I picked one up because my girlfriend's beetle has a slow leak. I wouldn't trust it any more than something else from R&R or Harbor Freight, but its something. Took about a minute to get from 25 psi to 35.

Like my old man says, Harbor Freight is the titty bar of tool stores; its all cheap garbage, but when its hanging in front of your face its pretty hard to say no.
    R&R carries a decent selection of Lisle tools. So not all junk. And my Harbor Freight winch has never let me down. Only thing that ever has let me down from there is their ball joint presses. Have to turn it in for a new one after every use...
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

Oh yeah, not everything there is junk, I've had great luck with a bike lift I got from HF, I was just saying, sometimes it really is too good to be true