Supporting Members don't see this Ad. Click here to become a supporting member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vermont Overland Rally

Default Vermont Overland Rally

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt trip 197.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	16764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt trip 169.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	16765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt trip 179.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	16766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt trip 180.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	16767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt trip 157.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	16768the Vermont Overland rally was excellent. they utilized a very interesting mapping tool. utilizing a PDF maps program for smart phones, the routes were superimposed on the map on a smart phone or tablet and a dot would track your position via the device's GPS. I will post some pictures in the next few days. they also had excellent classes which ran the gamut from off-roading 101 to advanced recovery techniques. as a relative beginner, the classes were probably the most useful part for me. they also challenged us to figure out a way to winch a vehicle backwards using a front winch only which was an interesting puzzle to solve

I would estimate they had about 100 vehicles attend, most people camped on-site, nightly fire pit, many families, breakfast and dinner available on site, very well organized.

I do have the maps still on my iphone, the routes leave from near Bellows falls so not a bad drive at all from New Hampshire. Depending what the weather looks like over the next few weeks, I may consider leading or co-leading a run up there. if anyone is familiar with the trails in Chester, Grafton, rockingham let me know and perhaps we can organize something
    Last edited by mac; 10-19-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    2008 FJ Cruiser, 3" Toytec/Bilstein lift, 33" Cooper S/T Maxx, All pro sliders, Ricochet skids, LR UCA's, AT tranny cooler
    2016 WK2, stock (daily driver)

Good to hear it was a good experience! I really wanted to go but couldn't make the dates work. Any pictures?

Was this an app that is available to anyone? What's the name?
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 6spd - 2.5" OME Springs, Bilstein 5100's - 31" General Grabber AT2's
    2010 Mazda3 s - DD

Quote Originally Posted by ishter86 View Post
    Was this an app that is available to anyone? What's the name?
    Not sure if its the same app they used, but I've used Avenza PDFMaps. Sounds like the same thing. It's available in the Apple Store for iPhones, but Android users have to download and install the .apk from their website.
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

Rubicon is offline Ex-Coordinator & Ex-Mod Certified Trail Leader
    MappingNH Trail Scout

Glad it was good. I wanted to go too.
    The app was made public on there website before the event so the participants could already have it downloaded.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    Traction, articulation, and gearing make a good off-road rig. Just a big lift, wide mud tires, and a winch simply do not.
    ~Shawn(the correct spelling ;)

Yes it is Avenza. I'm glad I downloaded before I got there b/c the wifi at the farmhouse was overwhelmed friday a.m. with everyone using it.
    2008 FJ Cruiser, 3" Toytec/Bilstein lift, 33" Cooper S/T Maxx, All pro sliders, Ricochet skids, LR UCA's, AT tranny cooler

I'd be interested in a run over that way. It's not as far as I thought. Let me know if you end up planning something.

Same here depending when it would be. I'm only about an hour from Bellows Falls.
    Big Jeep - 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8, NP242 ESY transfer case swap, Dana 44A rear axle protected by Mountain Vista Fabrication skid plate, Spartan front locker, reinforced uni-body rails, custom boxed steel rock sliders doubling as air tanks, 5.5" Long Arm lift, 1" DOM crossover steering with Heim joints, 33x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires, 12000lb Badlands winch.
    Little Jeep - 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I6. Completely stock.
    Kermit - 1970 Jeep J-2500 pickup

I hope this happens on a day I have off.
    1992 RRC Alpine White "Grover" - Gone
    1988 Defender 90 Black "Ralph"- Gone
    2006 LR3 Tonga Green "Greenie"- Gone
    1988 RRC Portofino Red "Randy"
    1992 RRC Eastnor Green "Rocket"
    2000 DII Oxford Pearl Blue Metallic "R2"

Yeah from the videos I've seen the area looks awesome. Would def like to be part of a run out that way
    Jeff
    88 Suzuki Samurai SOA lift, 6.5 transfercase gearing, 32" Swampers
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6 Spd AWD 6" RCX lift- Sold will be greatly missed

I would be very interested in a run out my way! And/or a copy of the pdf's if you are willing to share them. I know Peter V. a little bit, I work in the same town as him and talk to him about wheeling every so often. I know he is the guy for legal C4 VT roads, but I just can't bring myself to say him X amount of money to do the same thing that Jeepin, or Jeep Crawl, or Mr. Bigshot do a few times a month....

Sorry no pics yet.

This would be somewhat of a 'scouting run' as I would not pre-run everything first (there would be trails I havent done yet that I have maps for). So we should limit the field. What times are folks thinking? I cannot do weekdays. Perhaps the wkd after the ENH fall crawl?? thoughts? This wkd is too short notice? (I will fly that flag with my wife and see what happens), wkd after I have plans, then wkd after that is ENH fall crawl.

My impression was that most of these loops are stock friendly with occaisonal stuff that can be challenging but usually some type of go round or plan b avail. The stuff I ran in my GC and another guy in a Tacoma with small lift we had zero probs.

In terms of the PDF's, I dont want to release those to everyone as I'm not sure if tat would be wise. I think I would treat it as we treat the ENH map info (limited to those who are not going to trash the trails). I will email it to those who sign up for the trail ride I think, ok?

Based on the loop I ran I would call it stock with rare mod, but if someone needed to turn around they could catch up by using a pavement / dirt go around
    Last edited by mac; 10-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.

I gotcha, my weekends are booked until after the fall crawl I think unfortunately... Do you have the maps a little further north? For Cavendish/Ludlow/Reading/Plymouth?

Quote Originally Posted by NOAHVT View Post
    I gotcha, my weekends are booked until after the fall crawl I think unfortunately... Do you have the maps a little further north? For Cavendish/Ludlow/Reading/Plymouth?
    The only maps I have are chester, grafton, rockingham. Apparently VT DOT has all the maps too?

I've got most all of the town's around me on Avenza PDF I just spent the last hour downloading them. I guess now I just need to go out exploring!!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk